testtest

Prodigy vs RIA Pro Ultra (guest starring John Wick!)

So, I finally hit the range today…
34A4A0F0-334F-400A-A7D5-955A557E91CC.jpeg

From bottom to top: RIA Pro Ultra 9mm; P30Lw/Compensator (aka John Wick), Prodigy, VP9L (control—I shoot it well, or so I thought).

Not pictured was a Buckmark, which I shot first to warm up a little; hadn’t pulled a live trigger since November, and that was pheasant hunting. About 50 rounds later, I felt like I was ready to go.

So, as a control, I ran the VP9L at 10 yards (all shooting was done at 10 yards).
20AC72C5-4358-4BF0-80B2-D7D917FE88C3.jpeg

Not bad, but I’ve done better.

Then Mr. Wick came calling.
673999B6-A84F-47EE-8A05-181594C8BE76.jpeg

Not bad either—but that comp is LOUD. Noticeably so, even through earpro.

Then, the Prodigy….
746122D5-637A-4A83-8F29-866D0C40E970.jpeg

That’s what I’m talking about. Very nice, first 10 rounds shot smooth, trigger broke nice…yeah, I like it.

And finally, the RIA UP.
C8F01EDD-135D-4E87-90DD-93A19B09C7E6.jpeg

I uh…I think it outshot the Prodigy. Trigger just might be a touch lighter, and maybe a touch cleaner. Either way, they were both close…but, I gotta say; it’s damn near recoilless. That is a tank of an all-steel, bull-barreled, full-length rail widebody 1911…

After that, I just decided I was gonna have fun.

Interesting thing: both the Prodigy and the UP had the exact same failure to extract during a mag dump (the 17rd for the Prodigy); the RIA during the first 4-5 rounds in the mag, the Prodigy in the last 3-4; both with the same ammo (Fiocchi 115gr). When I tried it again using Federal 115gr…no issues.

Another interesting thing—I actually short-stroked the Prodigy during one of the speed runs.

And that RIA shot a LOT tighter at full speed—a 6-8” 17 shot pattern; where the Produgy definitely ran hard to the left in about a 12” pattern. I suspect the weight had a lot to do with it.

They each got about 100-150 rounds put through them. Only failures were the ones mentioned earlier.

Either way; they’ll both do; gonna keep them both, for the time being.

Getting the Vortex Venom for the Prodigy; get that fitted & zeroed, then I’ll try some defensive ammo.

So I assume you have shot the P30L with and without the comp? Is there a difference in felt recoil ?

I love my HKs and I am under no illusion that they are precision or competition tuned guns. What they are is combat flawless. The guns you take to the end of the world party.

That's a nice group you brought out brother. And it looks like you had fun and got some work in. Nice review Hans. Not that a Prodigy was even on my radar, but I think that RIA may be now.

So I assume you have shot the P30L with and without the comp? Is there a difference in felt recoil ?

I love my HKs and I am under no illusion that they are precision or competition tuned guns. What they are is combat flawless. The guns you take to the end of the world party.

That's a nice group you brought out brother. And it looks like you had fun and got some work in. Nice review Hans. Not that a Prodigy was even on my radar, but I think that RIA may be now.
I’ve shot P30’s before, and that comp definitely made a difference; there was very little muzzle rise.

I brought some 9mm NATO and some 124gr+P to run through it, but…I ran out of time.

And yes, as of right now, I’d take either of the HK’s into a fight before I’d consider the Prodigy or RIA.

Back