testtest

Proud Moments .. family and firearms

A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and Bflat in that set in the pics. Then I have a few old stand by's of Marine Band in various keys. Mostly C, G, D. They're just old 'knock around's' I sometimes find in my tool box, truck bed, in the bathroom, and a few really odd places I won't mention. I'm subject to find one wherever I am and start wailing some bayou blues or sumpthin. Sometimes I'll even do "Dixie". :):D;)
1690850269793.gif

My parents were the first members of either family to leave the farm and move to the big city. Suburbs actually. :rolleyes:
My Grandparents, uncles, aunts and cousins all still lived on farms. I spent a great deal of time with them when I was young.
Hunting and guns were just a part of life. Nobody really thought anything of it. I hunted quail, rabbit and squirrels as a kid because that's just what you did.
Unfortunately, over the years people moved, passed away and property changed hands. I just ran out of places to hunt. Sadly, my sons never got the experience. :(
However, I did teach my boys about guns from a very early age. I taught them how they worked and how to handle them. Remove the mystery and they knew not to mess with them. (y)
My proudest moment came when my youngest was about 6 or 7. I was getting ready to go to the range and had left a revolver on the table while I was getting other stuff together. I turned around and there was my son. He had the revolver in his hand, butt facing me and the cylinder open. He handed it to me and with a stern look on his face said "You shouldn't leave this laying around." ;)

My parents were the first members of either family to leave the farm and move to the big city. Suburbs actually. :rolleyes:
My Grandparents, uncles, aunts and cousins all still lived on farms. I spent a great deal of time with them when I was young.
Hunting and guns were just a part of life. Nobody really thought anything of it. I hunted quail, rabbit and squirrels as a kid because that's just what you did.
Unfortunately, over the years people moved, passed away and property changed hands. I just ran out of places to hunt. Sadly, my sons never got the experience. :(
However, I did teach my boys about guns from a very early age. I taught them how they worked and how to handle them. Remove the mystery and they knew not to mess with them. (y)
My proudest moment came when my youngest was about 6 or 7. I was getting ready to go to the range and had left a revolver on the table while I was getting other stuff together. I turned around and there was my son. He had the revolver in his hand, butt facing me and the cylinder open. He handed it to me and with a stern look on his face said "You shouldn't leave this laying around." ;)
Well good for that boy, and the father who taught him. Unfortunately your story above is happening in so many places and so often, I don't think we'll have even a 2nd amendment in 2 more generations, much less places to hunt. Land has just become so valuable that small family farms simply cannot afford to hold on to it for farming. Race tracks. movie theaters, even some golf cources are being bought up and converted to industrial complexes or housing developments. Here at the retirement community there are several couples/people who were the last generation of their family farms who verify that.

And with the coming of age of the GenZ's and most GenY's entering the positions of leadership in politics and business, and with their misguided ideology regarding guns in general, I'm afraid guns will be a thing of the past in large part as well.

I won't be around to see it, but in my heart I know it's coming at some point. The only way I can see it not happening is for the rest of us boomers/GenX'rs, and maybe a few Millennials seeing the light in time to put a stop to the slide we're seeing right now. We have to take a real hands on approach and fix the public schools to re-initiate school/gov't based safety and handling training to begin with. That still leaves the issue of land to utilize for shooting/hunting and other outdoor activities.

I don't know all the answers, but I do know that POTUS Reagan was pretty much right when he said "Freedom (of many things) is only a generation away from extinction." That's paraphrased, but pretty close I think. jj

If all this is about my post where I listed what looked like almost the entire alphabet, all that is is an answer to the question of "What keys I had" in my harps. Key's are the note any piece of music is based on. In order to play 'cross harp' the player has to know what key the song is being played in because he has to pick a different key in order to play cross harp, 2nd position.

That all sounds really complicated, and I'm messin with ya' just a little. It's very basic music and I'm hoping someone else can better explain it to y'all than I did. I think it was Lexie who asked me, I'm just not real good at 'splainin' things sometimes.

Don't know if this will help or not ... but Keys are why you can sing along with some songs on the radio, but others will be too high or too low for you to sing. They are being done in different keys. Another band might do the same song in another key that you can sing along with. (y)(y)(y)

If all this is about my post where I listed what looked like almost the entire alphabet, all that is is an answer to the question of "What keys I had" in my harps. Key's are the note any piece of music is based on. In order to play 'cross harp' the player has to know what key the song is being played in because he has to pick a different key in order to play cross harp, 2nd position.

That all sounds really complicated, and I'm messin with ya' just a little. It's very basic music and I'm hoping someone else can better explain it to y'all than I did. I think it was Lexie who asked me, I'm just not real good at 'splainin' things sometimes.

Don't know if this will help or not ... but Keys are why you can sing along with some songs on the radio, but others will be too high or too low for you to sing. They are being done in different keys. Another band might do the same song in another key that you can sing along with. (y)(y)(y)

Yes it was me who asked you what harmonica keys you use.
I do believe, that anyone who does not have a musical instrument background will not fully understand what they mean ❓

Thats correct … i have no friggin clue that whole gibberish
Here's a lifetime's worth of music lessons in a split second ... if a song is too high for you to sing along with, it's the KEY the song is being played in. If the song is too low for you to sing along with, it's also because of the KEY the sang is being played in. But if the song is just right for you to sing along with, or even if you're inclined to learn to play the harp, it's probably the song is in exactly the right KEY for you ...... or you have woke up and found yourself in your bathroom somehow.!!! ;)

My wife gave her set of harps to our musically inclined daughter-in-law. All except an old Marine band harp she inherited from her dad.

Does daughter-in-law play those harmonicas ❓
What other musical instruments does she play ❓

I had a marine band harp, loved it but the brass got too old and started to lose tune so I tossed it out.
I was thinking about getting new reeds for the marine band and my blues harps but I really do not want to fool with retaining nails and much prefer my harmonicas that only use screws

Now I got four 12 hole Seydels (in different keys A, C, D G) to take it's place. I prefer my harps to have 3 full octaves. While similar to a 10 hole diatonic harp they are more closer to a chromatic with out a slide.
They have steel plates and steel reeds, do not loose air, sounds like you expect and will not oxidize like brass reeds do. Things change The only Hohner I have left is a Meisterklass in C.

LOL, I remember when I was very young as we as a military familia would sometimes visit the grandparents in Wisconsin in the summer for big familia get-to-gether. My father would get out his snare drum(that he played in HS band before WWII) and play along with polka. That was the sign for all us kids to go someplace else as none of us wanted to hear that type of music.

Does daughter-in-law play those harmonicas ❓
What other musical instruments does she play ❓

I had a marine band harp, loved it but the brass got too old and started to lose tune so I tossed it out.
I was thinking about getting new reeds for the marine band and my blues harps but I really do not want to fool with retaining nails and much prefer my harmonicas that only use screws

Now I got four 12 hole Seydels (in different keys A, C, D G) to take it's place. I prefer my harps to have 3 full octaves. While similar to a 10 hole diatonic harp they are more closer to a chromatic with out a slide.
They have steel plates and steel reeds, do not loose air, sounds like you expect and will not oxidize like brass reeds do. Things change The only Hohner I have left is a Meisterklass in C.

LOL, I remember when I was very young as we as a military familia would sometimes visit the grandparents in Wisconsin in the summer for big familia get-to-gether. My father would get out his snare drum(that he played in HS band before WWII) and play along with polka. That was the sign for all us kids to go someplace else as none of us wanted to hear that type of music.
Boy, you've done it now ..... you through out that word "octaves". Now that along with "keys" we almost totally destroyed the forum's sanity. KF1977 is especially mixed up and sits wondering if all this stuff about keys is something he could do while sitting on his 4x4 ATV waiting for the evening feeding time for the pigs. ;)

Then Belt Fed came along and hurt his feelings calling him the president of the Cretin and Curmudgeon club. He'll never be the same again. ;) Don't remember all else involved, but they're all part of that same 'Cretin and Curmudgeon' club as well.

Maybe somebody else will come along and help us out with some of these music deprived 'yahoos'. But I'll bet there'll be several of them later tonight testing out the acoustics of their bathrooms. Uh huh, I said that! jj

Boy, you've done it now ..... you through out that word "octaves". Now that along with "keys" we almost totally destroyed the forum's sanity. KF1977 is especially mixed up and sits wondering if all this stuff about keys is something he could do while sitting on his 4x4 ATV waiting for the evening feeding time for the pigs. ;)

Then Belt Fed came along and hurt his feelings calling him the president of the Cretin and Curmudgeon club. He'll never be the same again. ;) Don't remember all else involved, but they're all part of that same 'Cretin and Curmudgeon' club as well.

Maybe somebody else will come along and help us out with some of these music deprived 'yahoos'. But I'll bet there'll be several of them later tonight testing out the acoustics of their bathrooms. Uh huh, I said that! jj
Didnt hurt my feelings none..
I’m proud to be President of the Curmudgeon club.. my wife thinks I’m the King of that club 😉

Here's a lifetime's worth of music lessons in a split second ... if a song is too high for you to sing along with, it's the KEY the song is being played in. If the song is too low for you to sing along with, it's also because of the KEY the sang is being played in. But if the song is just right for you to sing along with, or even if you're inclined to learn to play the harp, it's probably the song is in exactly the right KEY for you ...... or you have woke up and found yourself in your bathroom somehow.!!! ;)
I know how to work and tune this Key 😀

765CAE59-4934-4BDB-9DF2-9984C171D066.jpeg

I know how to work and tune this Key 😀

View attachment 42191
Well, there ya' go!!! (y) jj
Speaking of which, we could discuss theory, the circle of fifths, or how knowing the pentatonic scale may have worked well for BTO, but quite a bit more was required to write say, the Diary of a Madman album. Or almost everything Eddie Van Halen ever recorded.
Now there's a man who knows his music.!!! The only "circle of fifths" I know are 5 bottles of Jack in a circle.

Back