testtest

Pushing the Hellcat 9mm to 200 Yards

I'll agree that Micro 9's leave a lot to be desired at the range. I prefer winter, when wearing a heavy coat let's me carry either my PPQ in .40 S&W or my M9 (both fully capable of consistent 100+ yard shots as long as I do my part). 70% of the time though, I do carry a Micro 9. In this case, a SIG P365, purchased before the Hellcat hit the marker. I've fired the Hellcat, and for me there's little difference between the two. I had tighter groups with the SIG, but I suspect and acknowledge that's just because I have much more range time with it.

Kudos to you for managing some great groups out of a gun that wasn't designed for such ranges. I'll have to agree with another commentator, I think I'd prefer to stick with my AR for those ranges.

Thats what rifles are for!
What if you don't have a rifle?

I think it's pretty cool. I’ve hit 200 yard full silhouettes with a 1911, 4” 686, a suppressed USP Tactical, and a USP Expert. It wasn’t like I was ringing away on it; I think I averaged 1 out of 10 or so…but it’s nice to know that if it all dropped in the pot and such a shot was necessary, I’m capable of doing it.

Looks like a "fun" but not practical exercise.

I'll stick to a rifle for >CQB ranges.
Anybody can shoot a rifle for distance. There is a tremendous amount of satisfaction taking a pistol out to distance and as the article says it gives you unbelievable confidence at 10 yds. Banging away with a subcompact at 7yds feels like child’s play. I shoot at 50yds offhand pretty regularly. I’ve not been to 200, but I’m pretty confident that with a good rest and practice I could.

I don't know, maybe just me ..... but it seems to me that to pull up @ 100yds, much less 200 yds, and hit on the 1st, maybe the 2nd rnd, that's impressive and a point to maybe be proud of. But to pull up @100 or 200 yds and shoot till you get that hit is a very different thing. I'm pretty sure even I could eventually get that hit @ 100yds, or whatever the extreme range of the round I'm shooting is, but I don't see that as anything like impressive.

I'm sure there's probably someone out there somewhere who can regularly get a hit @ 100-200 yds with a Hellcat or similar, but I've yet to be introduced to him, or for that matter even heard about him.

Being the practical and simple man I am, I'm of the thought that it makes far more sense for me to use whatever practice time and ammo I have available for something more realistic and sensible.

Don't mean to take the wind out of anybody's sails, just being realistic and rational.o_O:rolleyes:o_O:unsure:

I don't know, maybe just me ..... but it seems to me that to pull up @ 100yds, much less 200 yds, and hit on the 1st, maybe the 2nd rnd, that's impressive and a point to maybe be proud of. But to pull up @100 or 200 yds and shoot till you get that hit is a very different thing. I'm pretty sure even I could eventually get that hit @ 100yds, or whatever the extreme range of the round I'm shooting is, but I don't see that as anything like impressive.

I'm sure there's probably someone out there somewhere who can regularly get a hit @ 100-200 yds with a Hellcat or similar, but I've yet to be introduced to him, or for that matter even heard about him.

Being the practical and simple man I am, I'm of the thought that it makes far more sense for me to use whatever practice time and ammo I have available for something more realistic and sensible.

Don't mean to take the wind out of anybody's sails, just being realistic and rational.o_O:rolleyes:o_O:unsure:
Jerry Michlik…….saw him on Impossible Shots TV show do something similar with a S&W snubbie in .38special at a similar distance, might have been further, can’t quite remember.

Jerry Michlik…….saw him on Impossible Shots TV show do something similar with a S&W snubbie in .38special at a similar distance, might have been further, can’t quite remember.
LOL! LOL! Hey, love you and ol' Jerry both! But he ain't done it on the first or second shot. I watched a video of him making the video of him hitting the gong. It literally took him dozens of shots to make the video appear to show him hitting it on the first git-go.

Of course someone on some day can/will make it on that first shot ............ I still don't accept it as skill. A first shot hit with a snubbie or a micro at 200 yds is pure luck. But it sure as heck looks impressive when you can pull it off!

Again, not trying to take the wind out of anybody's sails, just being practical.

I'll tell you a trick shot that's much easier to do for the avg shooter and causes much more amazement when you pull it off.

Hang a weighted kite string or place a playing card vertically and turned edge to you at 5 yds. Place a 1"bullseye target directly behind either of the setups. Using a rest and a WC bullet, an average+ shooter should be able to cut the string or the card >6/10 times. It appears you're really hot to onlookers, but it's almost a given you can hit it ....... WHY,

because the string and/or the card are about .005"+/- wide. You're shooting a projectile of .356 (9mm) or .358 (38spl) with a flat nose (wad cutter) with a cross section almost 350 times wider than the string/card. If you can hit the 1" bullseye anywhere within about the inside 5/8" of the eye, you'll likely cut the string/card.

It's a really impressive shot, far more easy than it appears and you will be the toast of the party. Just don't share your WC's with anyone else who wants to try. They get to use the RN's.

Another pretty easy trick shot that's impressive to most, is to shoot with your handgun upside down. Just remember to reverse the sight picture when aiming 'cause the bullet is going to cause the exact same recoil of the gun. The bullet doesn't know the gun is upside down, only you and the onlookers do. Might take you a few practices to learn just where to hold on the target, but once you've got it, it's a done deal for just showin' off or winning that side bet.

Once saw Byron Ferguson shoot baby aspirin out of the air with a long bow and target/field arrows too. He didn't do that on the first shot either.

Both these instances both artists acknowledged it took them several/many attempts to make it look easy and I'm in no way making light of either of them, nor any other shooter who enjoys these kind of shots. It's all in a day for some. (y)(y)

I'd love to one day have a shooting area like Beyond Seclusion. The bulk of my firearms training was generously provided by the government, but we never shot farther than 50 yards with pistols. I'm a surprisingly accurate shooter with a full-size pistol at 50 yards, but I doubt that I could do very well at 200 yards with a compact handgun. I never really thought about it too much before now because I can't picture a situation where I would need to take a 200 yard shot with a defensive handgun. It might be fun to try a shot that long someday, but ammo is too expensive right now for me to be messing around with trick shots. My current range only goes out to 25 yards anyway.

So I believe I’ve seen 3 video reviews,
“Including this one” on shooting the HellCat and the video in this article is the first where I’ve seen the gun jump almost violently during recoil so I’m not sure what to say on his grip.
I no longer shoot 9mm or own a micro compact handgun as I found them to small for my larger then average hands.
Reminds of my time owning and shooting a S&W M&P shield in 40 Caliber. I couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn. That gun was the first to go.

Anybody can shoot a rifle for distance. There is a tremendous amount of satisfaction taking a pistol out to distance and as the article says it gives you unbelievable confidence at 10 yds. Banging away with a subcompact at 7yds feels like child’s play. I shoot at 50yds offhand pretty regularly. I’ve not been to 200, but I’m pretty confident that with a good rest and practice I could.
Although I understand what your saying I have to slightly disagree with your statement that “anybody” can shoot rifles at a distance, yes anybody can but not everyone is good at it. It still takes a skill set and proficiency to hit good groupings.
As far as handguns I’d like to try taking my 1911 Emissary 45ACP out to 50 or 75 yards.

Although I understand what your saying I have to slightly disagree with your statement that “anybody” can shoot rifles at a distance, yes anybody can but not everyone is good at it. It still takes a skill set and proficiency to hit good groupings.
As far as handguns I’d like to try taking my 1911 Emissary 45ACP out to 50 or 75 yards.

I agree, although I would argue that most people our age who have been into the sport or hunting for as long as we have aren't going to have a whole lot of problems getting nice groups at 200 yards with a scoped 30-06.

I fairly regularly practice 50 yard shots with handguns. The .45s are no problem. Even the Shield. The VP9 and Q5 do well too, but I just shoot the .45s better. It's what I've always shot though. I first got a 9mm a few years ago and those two are the only ones I have.

I see absolutely no value in wasting ammo by shooting a Hellcat 200 yards. The odds of doing it accurately and consistently are very long indeed and assuming, through tons and tons of practice, you are able to consistently hit a silhouette target at 200 yards with it I still have to question the utility of the endeavor.

I agree, although I would argue that most people our age who have been into the sport or hunting for as long as we have aren't going to have a whole lot of problems getting nice groups at 200 yards with a scoped 30-06.

I fairly regularly practice 50 yard shots with handguns. The .45s are no problem. Even the Shield. The VP9 and Q5 do well too, but I just shoot the .45s better. It's what I've always shot though. I first got a 9mm a few years ago and those two are the only ones I have.

I see absolutely no value in wasting ammo by shooting a Hellcat 200 yards. The odds of doing it accurately and consistently are very long indeed and assuming, through tons and tons of practice, you are able to consistently hit a silhouette target at 200 yards with it I still have to question the utility of the endeavor.
Completely agree. The largest caliber I’ve shot was .300WM and that was for stock testing only. I really like and shoot very well the .308
For handguns I’m very good with my 40SW Sub compact Mod2 and enjoy shooting 45ACP my new 10mm is a work in progress but I see no issues getting good with it.

Back