testtest

Q. on threaded barrel's...

Excuse my ignorance on this one... never been much of a suppressor user but bought my first for a DD M4 a year or so ago.

Now I have the threaded barrels for both my Hellcat Pro and my XDm Elite. I was wondering how that works since the M4 needed a muzzle device for the suppressor to fit. When I look for the suppressor I want for the handguns, do they need to be "thread on" or whatever it may be called? Do they just screw on that easy without a locking device?

And both are 9mm's... is there a pistol suppressor recommendation that is good for indoor range and shoot house play, just enough to lower the decibel levels for hearing protection.

Thanks in advance.

Pistol suppressors are typically direct thread, so it would just screw onto the barrel. Just need to make sure you have the correct thread pitch.

There are tons of options out there for 9mm. All depends on your wants and needs. If you ever plan on suppressing other pistol calibers, you may want to consider getting a can that is multi-cal.

I don't own any suppressors either, but some pistol manufacturers thread barrel according to what's going to be attached? KIM'S have more threads (iirc) on barrels for suppressors. You can attach a suppressor without the need/use if a brake (pistols are usually not this way). Rifles use this system ad part of their internal extra baffling (some, not all). This way when the suppressor is removed it still has a reduced recoil. Also, it makes it more of a "quick " attach.

Excuse my ignorance on this one... never been much of a suppressor user but bought my first for a DD M4 a year or so ago.

Now I have the threaded barrels for both my Hellcat Pro and my XDm Elite. I was wondering how that works since the M4 needed a muzzle device for the suppressor to fit. When I look for the suppressor I want for the handguns, do they need to be "thread on" or whatever it may be called? Do they just screw on that easy without a locking device?

And both are 9mm's... is there a pistol suppressor recommendation that is good for indoor range and shoot house play, just enough to lower the decibel levels for hearing protection.

Thanks in advance.
Almost all suppressors you want to put on a pistol need a “piston”.
This can be purchased from the suppressor manufacturer.
You replace the internal spring assembly with the piston. Pretty quick change over. Allows the suppressor to work with the slide/barrel going back and forth when fired.

Yes, then you just screw the suppressor onto the barrel.

Example here for my suppressor

IMG_4456.png
IMG_4457.png
IMG_4281.png

Almost all suppressors you want to put on a pistol need a “piston”.
This can be purchased from the suppressor manufacturer.
You replace the internal spring assembly with the piston. Pretty quick change over. Allows the suppressor to work with the slide/barrel going back and forth when fired.

Yes, then you just screw the suppressor onto the barrel.

Example here for my suppressor

View attachment 47578View attachment 47579View attachment 47580
I’d point out that mainly applies to tilt barrel pistols (which, yes, is the vast majority)…

Fixed barrel designs a few others (roller locked) don’t need a piston, and, in fact, a piston on it can damage the barrel crown.

Pistol suppressors are typically direct thread, so it would just screw onto the barrel. Just need to make sure you have the correct thread pitch.

There are tons of options out there for 9mm. All depends on your wants and needs. If you ever plan on suppressing other pistol calibers, you may want to consider getting a can that is multi-cal.
suppressors usually are either multi cal like a .30 cal can that works for 9mm, 5.56, .308.

A .45 suppressor is usually just .45 or 9mm from what I have seen.

Could be incorrect here, but you would need to buy a .45 dedicated suppressor which would handle .45 / 9mm only.

None of my current suppressor for .308 or 5.56 will handle .45

suppressors usually are either multi cal like a .30 cal can that works for 9mm, 5.56, .308.

Could be incorrect here, but you would need to buy a .45 dedicated suppressor which would handle .45 / 9mm only.

I don’t think a .30 suppressor would work on a .45…be a bit of a tight squeeze through the baffles.;)

I’d point out that mainly applies to tilt barrel pistols (which, yes, is the vast majority)…

Fixed barrel designs a few others (roller locked) don’t need a piston, and, in fact, a piston on it can damage the barrel crown.
Correct

My AP5 9mm “pistol” uses the suppressor with no piston.
9mm Carbines dont use a piston either

My Cz and Sig pistols need the piston.

Correct. Most buy a .45 can and use it for both .45 and 9mm.

Alot of people go dedicated on the .22lr cans.

Never thought too much about barrel tilt. interesting on the piston attachment. Seems alot easier than QD muzzle devices for rifles.

Yet to delve into pistol suppressors much, i'm still working on getting all my rifle cans set.

Correct. Most buy a .45 can and use it for both .45 and 9mm.

Alot of people go dedicated on the .22lr cans.

Never thought too much about barrel tilt. interesting on the piston attachment. Seems alot easier than QD muzzle devices for rifles.

Yet to delve into pistol suppressors much, i'm still working on getting all my rifle cans set.
Using a suppressor between multiple calibers can require the use of a different tread adapter as most 9mm firearms manufactured in the US use a 1/2x28 thread pitch and most .45acp firearms use a .578x28 thread pitch.

Thanks in advance.
I'd highly recommend the Rugged Obsidian 9mm because of the options to go from full length to the shorter K-configuration. Rugged makes a great product and they have one of the best warranty's in the business with a no questions asked lifetime warranty that covers pretty much anything that could go wrong with a suppressor including baffle strikes and other damages.

The Rugged Obsidian suppressor has plenty of accessories for it so you can swap between piston, fixed barrel spacer, or tri-lug adapter for super quick suppressor changes.

Direct thread suppressors are just that, direct thread where they are meant to screw on directly to the barrel threads. Using simple Teflon tape or a hi-temp silicone washer on the treads can keep a direct thread suppressor from coming loose as this is a common issue for this type of suppressor especially when shooting a lot of rounds. You don't want to have to check to see if your suppressor is coming loose after shooting a box or two of ammo as this will most likely burn your hand.

The only way to get to hearing safe levels while shooting suppressed is using subsonic ammo and with 9mm that is typically 147gr or higher.

Last edited:
Be careful on 1/2×28 threaded suppressors! If you get a 22cal (5.56, 22lr/mag) designed can, it will fit on a 9mm. Just don't use it on the 9!
One more thing to note is that even though a .223/5.56 rifle suppressor will work on a .22 rimfire it is highly discouraged because of the amount of lead fouling that can occur inside of the suppressor using rimfire ammo. Most rifle caliber suppressors are sealed and only allow limited maintenance so cleaning out the lead fouling from shooting a rimfire through it will be near impossible.

Only slightly off-topic....

Recently I was fooling around with my Crosman full-auto M16-ish CO2 gun, and discovered that the "flash suppressor," which looks very similar to that of an M16A1, was not only plastic, but has left-hand threads. :oops:

And then I got the replica Beretta M9A3 CO2 gun, which has a threaded barrel with a "thread protector" muzzle cap, and this too is threaded left-handed. :oops::oops: WTF?

Back