testtest

Question about .327 Federal Magnum

wmg1299

Professional
I have been interested in .327 Fed. Mag. for a few years, but the price of the few revolvers that could chamber the round kept me from ever making the jump. Taurus has released some affordable .327 revolvers, which has renewed my interest. Unfortunately, while the pistols are quite reasonably priced, the small amount of .327 ammo that I can find is running $1.70-$2.05 per round plus shipping. I know that .327 revolvers can fire several other calibers (ex. .32 H&R Magnum), but these rounds are sometimes even more expensive and I prefer to train with the same caliber that I will be carrying.

I never got around to pricing .327 ammo before the market went crazy in 2020. Do any of you know how much .327 ammo was running before COVID, and what price range I can reasonably expect it to fall back to once production finally catches up to demand? I normally like to put at least a couple hundred rounds through a gun before I consider carrying it, but I can't justify spending $350-$400 to do so. I'd like to give one of the new revolvers a try, but not if it involves spending over five times as much as I do for 9mm or over three times what I'm paying for .38 Special. Is there any hope of .327 ammo being affordable (and easy to find) in the near future?

That’s a toughy. Is .327 worth it, yes, but only if you reload. At least these days. If you don’t reload, you can easily get started with minimal investment, I’ll be happy to help guide if needed.

I have a .327 Henry Big Boy brass. Like shooting a .22 from that thing. 32 H&R is like a BB gun. And those are hot loads. From a revolver, much nicer than 357. If you wanted a light revolver as a carry gun, that would be my pick. Much more manageable in a lightweight revolver than it’s big brother 357. Lucky Gunner did a video on the 32 cartridge a while back. Let me see if I can find it.

I’ve been intrigued by the 327 also, and looked into reloading. The brass is fairly easy to find, bullets are a little more difficult, and I’ve got a ’Notify me’ in at Midway for the dies. I’m gonna try a get it all together for reloading. Also, I have a ‘Notify Me‘ at Midway for the Taurus Revolver.

I can’t remember where I picked up my 32s. I had a hard time finding them too. I substituted some 71gr 32 ACPs for a little while. They are a booger to load in 32 H&R brass. You have to hit that sweet spot between not having enough in the case and seating them too deep, then taper crimp them. In the Henry it’s no big deal. The recoil is barely anything so there’s no jump crimp or bullet recess to worry about. Like shooting big BBs. 71gr at 1200fps. Using Bullseye. Nothing else had stable velocities.

The 100gr XTPs are loaded hot. 1650 for .327s (H110) and 1400 for 32 H&Rs (Lil’ Gun) from a 20”.

Back