testtest

question about gun powder(s)

In an answer to your not asked question, yes you need powder in the cases. If you're willing to gamble on that, drill out the primer holes and use a magnum primer with a lightweight bullet. No you don't cut the minimum amount shone in load books in half to save money. Are we done yet?

In an answer to your not asked question, yes you need powder in the cases. If you're willing to gamble on that, drill out the primer holes and use a magnum primer with a lightweight bullet. No you don't cut the minimum amount shone in load books in half to save money. Are we done yet?
1711313143660.png

:LOL:.......

on another gun site, some guys are having a discussion on what to use (container wise) to store gunpowder if you have the large 8 # containers, but cannot fit them in your cabinets, or on the shelves.

like what would be ok if you don't have empty 1 # powder jars on hand.

my 8# jugs fit nicely into my ammo/gun cabinets, so i don't have that issue, as i only buy 1 brand of powder...

and YES, a nap was coming over me...

i had to wake up at 1:30 AM, and never got back to bed, until that nap made me do it.

I know lots of folks do it and do just fine, but way back when I was learning to reload, the old guy showing me the trade drummed into my thick head just how dangerous it 'could' be by storing powders in containers other than the original. Now in the something over 50 years I've been reloading, I won't say I have never done it, but I will say it was very, very few times for reasons other than not fitting my shelf. I remember a time when I dropped a can of Unique (can't swear it was Unique, but I think so) and cracked the corner of the can. Opened a little at the seam between the bottom and the side. So, I put whatever was left in that can into a screw lid plastic jar of some kind.

Then I painted on three sides of the jar the name of what was inside it. If you're gonna' do it, be careful.

I know lots of folks do it and do just fine, but way back when I was learning to reload, the old guy showing me the trade drummed into my thick head just how dangerous it 'could' be by storing powders in containers other than the original. Now in the something over 50 years I've been reloading, I won't say I have never done it, but I will say it was very, very few times for reasons other than not fitting my shelf. I remember a time when I dropped a can of Unique (can't swear it was Unique, but I think so) and cracked the corner of the can. Opened a little at the seam between the bottom and the side. So, I put whatever was left in that can into a screw lid plastic jar of some kind.

Then I painted on three sides of the jar the name of what was inside it. If you're gonna' do it, be careful.
and that is what got me to wondering as that conversation was going on...

the gun powder containers either 1 or 4 or 8 pound containers are "generally" thicker than say a milk jug, or OJ jug....

but even so, say for instance a person does transfer powder into a "thinner" container and it accidentally falls and breaks open, you lose that powder that's on the floor, unless the floor is super clean, and you sweep it up and just get another container.

this is why now, i appreciate having only 1 brand of "multi-use powder" in the 8 pound containers that i have

no way of mixing brands. then too, i have space to store mine.

i will keep checking in on that other site for more opinions.

Surely those shelves would hold an 8 pounder turned on its side. If not, they need to reconsider how to set up their area.
I wouldn't put powder in a different container, but I have put powder in one pound containers from an 8 pound of the same powder.
I bought one pound cans when I first started reloading, but have only bought kegs for many years. I buy another when I get down to 2-3 pounds.

Back