testtest

Question for AK guys...

Jfal

Professional
I was recently bitten by the AK bug and have started educating myself on the platform. I am focusing on the front trunion and receiver construction. Higher-end makes like Arsenal and Kreg make a fully-milled receiver. Low-end makes like the Century imports typically have cast front trunions. Good mid-grade makes use a forged front trunion. I understand these differences and why some are better than others...and I get that there may be very high-end makes with a cast trunion, but the general consensus is cast = bad, forged = better, milled = best.

One make in my cross-hairs is Zastava, which markets their models with a 1.5mm "bulged" front trunion. I get the 1.5mm part (thickness of the receiver housing), but is a "bulged" trunion a stamping, forging, casting? Few salesmen I've asked in 4 different LGS's that have Zastava in stock know the answer to this fairly basic question, and I have been unable to find an answer with a (admittedly) shallow search. Comments?

I think that’s kinda focusing on minutiae…

Zastavas are good AK’s; I have one of their underfolders that’s run very well for me…they’re probably some of the better AK’s currently available.
C8E2C5EB-8AFC-4556-9D2D-D27C1F5ADAA4.jpeg

All good AK trunnions should be forged.

WASRs are all forged even though Century imports them.

I had an Arsenal once & was very disappointed. Got rid of it.

WASRs are almost entirely mil-spec made by Romanians that know how to make AKs.

They won't win beauty contests, but they run.

The Polish WPBs are really nice & they also know how to build AKs.

The Yugo Zasts departed from the reg AKM pattern but have a good rep.

BTW PSA makes some impressive AKs.

Last edited:
All good AK trunnions should be forged.

WASRs are all forged even though Century imports them.

I had an Arsenal once & was very disappointed. Got rid of it.

WASRs are almost entirely mil-spec made by Romanians that know how to make AKs.

They won't win beauty contests, but they run.

The Polish WPBs are really nice & they also know how to build AKs.

The Yugo Zasts departed from the reg AKM pattern but have a good rep.

BTW PSA makes some impressive AKs.
I have the newer PSA's on my radar as well. Also read nothing but positive stuff on WBP Jack's, but have found they are less common than many makes out there...might take more effort to find one.

I think that’s kinda focusing on minutiae…

Zastavas are good AK’s; I have one of their underfolders that’s run very well for me…they’re probably some of the better AK’s currently available.
View attachment 31226
I may be focusing on minutiae...but one common thing I've read over and over is regarding the front trunnion. While not everyone says that cast trunnions should be avoided, many say this. I have been unable to get an answer on the bulged trunnion question, though. And the fit/finish on the Zastava seems pretty high on the ones I've seen...

I may be focusing on minutiae...but one common thing I've read over and over is regarding the front trunnion. While not everyone says that cast trunnions should be avoided, many say this. I have been unable to get an answer on the bulged trunnion question, though. And the fit/finish on the Zastava seems pretty high on the ones I've seen...
Not an Ak guy. You may or may not find some guidance with this fella,
He knows his aks and variants.
https://m.youtube.com/c/MishacoOBA

I have the newer PSA's on my radar as well. Also read nothing but positive stuff on WBP Jack's, but have found they are less common than many makes out there...might take more effort to find one.
Atlantic Firearms is the main importer of WPB's, as well as other AKs.

Any of the PSA GF3-GF5's are GTG.

Last edited:
Note: PSA puts a significant discount on their "Blem" items.

Many get those & can't find the blem or state its very minor. Besides the first use of a firearm makes it a blem.

PSA has a Blem GF-3 ODG on sale right now for $599.99. ($250 off)

Note: PSA puts a significant discount on their "Blem" items.

Many get those & can't find the blem or state its very minor. Besides the first use of a firearm makes it a blem.

PSA has a Blem GF-3 ODG on sale right now for $599.99. ($250 off)
The first time you flick the safety on an AK you'll make it a blem with the fine line scratch up the side of the receiver.

My first and only AK is a PSA GF3 and to date it's performed like a champ.

Back