testtest

Range/Field Maintenance Kits

What are you guys taking to the range with you for incidental problems that occur when at the range or shooting a field match?

For the past couple of years I've been carrying supplies in a Tactical Tailor horizontal E&E pouch that carries the contents of an Otis Sniper Cleaning Kit plus some additional spare parts and tools. I won't give a complete break down, I don't have the kit with me but for the most part as far as tools and cleaning equipment goes I carry the following:

1. Large and Small Cleaning Cables
2. Large and Small Bore Obstruction Removers
3. Large and Small Patch Holders
4. Wire Pick
5. Toothbrush Attachment
6. .223, .30, .38, and .45 Bore Brushes (.38 and .45 brushes also work as .223 and .308 chamber brushes)
7. Two-Piece Rod Section
8. CLP
9. Assorted Allen and Torx Wrenches
10. Fix It Sticks All-In-One Torque Tool w/ Assorted Bits
11. Lens Pen
12. Spare Batteries (2 ea AA, AAA)
13. Spare Empty Chamber Indicators
14. Spare Foamy Ear Plugs
15. Remington 700 Spare Extractor and Ejector
16. AR-15 Spare Gas Rings, Firing Pin, Extractor, and Ejector
17. Spare Fasteners (6-48, 8-32, 10-24, and 8-40)
18. 5-10 Adhesive 2" Targets

I might be forgetting a few small items but that's the gist of it and overall the pouch is about 4X7X2 and weighs right around 1 lb. At one point or another I've had to use the items above to work on someone else's rifle or my own to get it back up and running or just check something for peace of mind. People that don't know how to use an Otis cable will say it won't punch out a piece of brass from the chamber have never used it, it most certainly will and a bullet that's stuck into the lands too. If I need a little extra oomph I can attach the obstruction remover to the rod sections and the rod sections to the cleaning cable to give it more moving mass. I've also used the rod sections to remove part of a case that was stuck in the chamber of a rifle after he had a case head separation, got him back up and running so he could finish the match.

Batteries, spare ear plugs, ECI's, and little targets are in there because stuff happens and I've left stuff at home or didn't realize my Kestrel or ear muffs were dead until I went to use them.

I'm really starting to like the Fix It Sticks All-In-One driver too because of how much capability that it packs into a small package. Beforehand, I would take my Wheeler FAT Wrench or Borka Tools set with me to the range but each had their issues. The FAT wrench was just huge so I needed a separate case for it and the Borka tool was smaller but it was tricky to use one handed. The All In One kinda solves both of these issues given its small size and the ability for me to use it one handed to check the torque on fasteners. I just had to use it on my last range trip when I realized that I'd never actually torqued the mount to the receiver, just snugged down the screws hand tight. Two minutes later all four screws were torqued to 25 in/lbs and I was good to go, I saved myself from a potentially frustrating range trip.

Now you, don't have to have a kit like this one, there's a ton of good ones out there, I just thought it'd be interesting to see what some others carried with them.

I have rifle & pistol specific range bags, with a few specific tools (FAT wrench in the rifle bag, dowels for pounding squibs in the pistol, etc).

But, similar tools in each...Gerber multitool, Torx/Allen wrenches, multibit screwdriver...CLP, silicon rag...boo-boo kit, blowout kit...UPLULA’s or MAGLULA’s...

I think the boo boo kit is really underrated, nothing can ruin your trip quicker than a minor injury. I usually pack a small one too with band aids, sting ointment, tweezers, useful stuff like that.
Thanks for the tweezers reminder. I need to get a pr for my kit. Splinters from target stand 2"x2" uprights that have been shot to heck are a major possibilty at our range.

Back