testtest

RANGE PAPER TARGETS

I tend to use the cardboard IPSC silhouette. I bought a bunch (like several hundred) when they were around .35ea…think I’m down to my last box of 100.

What I like is that you get pasters for them, and you can easily put 50+ rounds on one before you have to replace it; also, they don’t rip & tear in the wind like paper targets.

Otherwise…I’ll often just use a sheet of paper with a small sticky target on it…

I used to go to a range that didn’t allow silhouettes or photo realistic targets (basically, no human form). My work around was a piece of cardboard 2’x3’ or so, with a 3x5 note card taped in the upper 1/4 and either a sheet of paper or a paper plate taped about 6” below it.

Perfect COM & T-box practice without upsetting the squares.

What are some of your favorite targets that you purchase for the range? I found these at National Target Company based in Maryland.
i buy packages at wally-world for like under $6.00 a package, each package has both types

this type,

KE5inK-GiEbpkWJE5FqxBUbl0kaSvxNkaDvMzVVPRKP-X7NXtqNqqmfooFTaWhcYa4yNopdu6rLe7gtOBjLr_dgCQc7qj7TnnDqnHewInggcdEmrQa66UtVzM5txDnOHmoXYO9X2MoDilF6jnF3P8V-oH6S9O4f8k35CuQMXUdO8kGinCZxe0CWrTTqHgPjNv6cHold5--uL8XnpuquCYkH44t0A3Hte0MtoRc7oi8M8Lx5jSJaS5lVeb7yFQP-18p7E9aCfIfRSUfQIN10aR-wfXVonZHgvqcVSNFAWlGn9bwM2yK3YxqWdcDze7tjPcPYZY8eGBGpIiIZtvIEJPOtQtwOQrFrJZJOnf5HD5QWQmEgRCR0pWznKBzQHDWn20By866dRGvqWcMNU8Hrp0BaZqjfaLWdlVScirAI6qrVEL4ikZFtMLOPpivaKlBkeAlkA4FidIzyX8JmOlbf1Qv3_KwqyFISLHpLCWgVBU6HDhnbhAMPlrRpkBcxJIriDFnXtz-kGBH8h8y3NP0NdpXTA2lUar7dlyZ0uZ0Hd1g9XMLj49yFInBhiDGUNH9dRC4KUSGEzTLyy_AbvHAJSxrQ8onDtRKHS-5-6FByFiKBTIRzHsRdaxYDj1e4WmMsZAtWKqoIF5O2wJIWzrC1rhzv3DUIT2L-3iLyzzx5Ua0Vt-DVtELVQ2l5jAx-S9PhVfGEuUIKEQ4Drv_oqv5IrrtM2v3F6f0ErOy4q_GRu1h4vDoWA29WFzBhD7tkcNf_Je43C8ITz-j94pH0gDeok9R5XVAtAFap4MNU-Sblz3PO3QpHD7NmmgELXtRM_-VBv4mNalftYqij3lAQuVGnDAcQMoV64q7TyI-U7YjSFClLhHcAenlo3Agd8MMdXAg1nxz9LJ3i7vquswiuUBVrhGCFInRDriCDZLwutZUQV2pCbk9Jb=w1250-h937-no

and this type

4YrQR1Ru4VSuykEFnZm9aQR6FjDpcwE-bkzi5cXxfpyyGMjXLfHwOnts5eavSyRNyAoD4t0uU3E-icyWUZZwbBPNg1b7CVUR3N2hzgt3_yZFWTNWe-vhYlNfJi52tigcNb2RwjY_9yuZYRmu0-hqtEMS3V2RkmuJwE9ZJBHjE0tsf-jHMY9--OIY8D58AqvKQUoinPKHTxRmSV9ftf4U-ZapyTveFFHkc3o63gqGMlV4Nv5gYyjgBE0HxC8OAV2E3THXmBhp1CNAYB2C_l7HlibTcr-8Ids91un-r1mopciypjkxZWldmcn3HQ9ItP1FoEQzAes22B_0-7XoPyNKQgiqqO2atLsFVJRlZqBl-VvmEEIgJ-Mc2h3SYqNtVoMKxa_7aa1aXYXBCsM40c_LvK1eHLWTSF9rJXOLS5cRnorirapFT6IrQ_vI1dPasKaoU4IBovjObExYXiVdZRfdaMaw_fczdLLv3g8F_3RqeyBiXiwP9s_3bpzfLp9pzYw91-8MMo6SylzBuInRTHXsUoVSiI0CfyMhWiKxUaccr5v4e-afe1BZ9maRmLQ3EyYFIVYYpwBcUP5zGyLTfIIANXPx2M1hkZMCWa4mKZIk5geeOI-fFSWqWJ7eZn0x8gWf6YR_wcNVTnZTRHcM7y4IdkZcP-3tuFya1zLZy29PsN4J2JlS0oUFoyzwXlu3A6MzrIukszucVHS31bT_0zm5Jbdz6J8jEgZ6WRl9rxHy0v0DERd3ddjQTtEf1Qi-qeKNIU6i9Ng2euFO_DuCXloqXGW7MX3-yFooZBW6s5Kihf79iVVD60o9runWjH6Ta77uSqkyll40sZEexhQACsFkZ1i01_TfPrX6lbvKTbl3HZsAh_iB7WCvXF93j_QS9Uz1gwr0dtGMbH-5H_NQTJ6y8o5EZJl3-8XlYzRdOASfr7-vIqnf=w1250-h937-no

sometimes i'll buy from the range a few of thiers, like these

AHNn0U8IykAey7xwNSUs_bgY_3S3S3KPJGFE_ilRKxjf9HA5QfROl8rI6OPVkfUgdbyweyZxlCsL_F9UoxknV036pka5GheWymb2-c22pVWdxgFJCN3hDo9YlhAZqxnakLyvXOB2Cj6XmkFvBaUWvF2U_dvi7ucfLu05de-xL36UuzOMOj45CXGwqS0KrutCMcpViSGYmpMGpukAIe-GK0bO-1Z7nt2huKm1Xs0Hatclx0AMLz794-684L8sJ3-qV97brKVXvRLGPyYSYo14WWL0Eusp-d5MdPLY3XtFS2Ed32r3DLXXDHjKk119olRtccJHZyfObMh8UUIJlBQyQwwapCd0OsTH8yq0Q4ZmMQCno9vXWjC1DFvt_iloCV_2X_8Ut7T0det5fS_sp_iFfqz8HAW4rLgPpnvpElk7K0dbABizwLZEyL8RsnJXlTjZP1vXPH2rlZDgufVIbBqzLx9OuHy4okU3AIkTz3Y9P5ImYiAqJprqCbcljOFySydCn6sloIEngSTGU3M8WnDNdtVb95_aVGstAo3WUGnBMGRol99Aw3kE-P0QIRroX7IoK77axPwAjzpLALM2pE_PPM5xiDPmvhcNwqIOEMhXPT76QimjV977V01DHv4sFTkyvkJ4xxer9Hfb-eST38mf06PtSC4_Gcfj63kw0qInuFKggaQCIsd4NmTx_Q7vD0YJ8qrxwxEyYpgFYXIcIeaEXAsE-UodCAOkZGJLOLULAfkn6baR-hp9LD5vF3lpd4dWY27kTJluEfp1XKUWddptVhJWRDfNqguji1_vrDD5bVLVJrDrsndiQJQjEdBkDOvbPLp_2o1JIFcRgU-_F_5mpILeGUSAzFticrKy0aq7mtfStgGjzOEFw3cILtuwqZcmwUmVFzlO0-oEWDy80nYMzZogNlKgR8kkK_frmqup1lsy3Bs0=w1250-h937-no

PNNHrY3mFrzbgzFDoIxmLw5OpGZvhDYL91qXa9fxTA-pgi3EKTqlclYnhwTTBLBufA92CPg3RAWRLMvYCKpXLTRJqgImmk3YtsdQqmXsKDo1r8JK_Q19R7fJCO-NGqshJb5N6-V6bkQ6OLk2NFIE9RxVxSCQn0OrFSLqB40bRE-oNqZJ2by-faueoo8dHVVToB46dvnuGysxYj2kXtq-a3Y6zj0ZKKf2ntkMKsbz2IKD9F6RL4-26fDotsXyPYVm8LmQsCUR-eSwTo8Smb855BcN-es0E1OHt2PQ1nDtLM588YoBw7clFWCGlW6F6nf1UqyBzOrSFVKPgyJ7-IK9NcUtPxLUgMIOhGjNWCoXP0pgD1RNh8AqYXo4rXx6hdX2681f2O-b66oXv8ujarm4N1jUNRAkOEjAGRv7PE8BPOGhtTt-aPEemCf4y1GsdC9NVcMHnVyZOz-Vui7ou6WJSW2NyOCMg4tVnuY5_O-XFQf0JsYaywm7zdMlsqg1kBslFA__8rDPfhFN9N0jOgyu6--0IrzvXET3zZUdXljVcI1I53iuzRhd0rH2zGHLdPYAASJxOXEt4lSSHAGTwayX_GK1UDy6CP_-kcLmrqOtT004T5K9ZRjAqLJQGCVp3ABuh8b8Ioyn7FeIAwAmNeK5bhHbyLwoiezseCIdt9GPG2f6Fy77M3Y43EZHnHCtbzn1mGSFEEZ5JULoJBmWnUCVRry0VXKOHOZ2carHCutUsUVrTuDc8Z-nLkuwJOGiTOiAANhD5geI8W2GtL_fbK0qtdOrffavP2ormEp0LFpHhWKoUo5TM-lkRZ0A6bmT8qtK44X_6kQK6SKsoTKPd476FRSlMb9R8leyvM5R8iQJEiCSX5xEJeUMmFDIC8s8HnALpDF7aI0M4p70xTZoayV9OV5xbmKHJm9mIOiVh1KExUbSa3YY=w1250-h937-no

SRyUzndznB7iHizHqAD_FEDcdAxKR3tmKj9WxIYuZJasxpPvaS8elWThLfaP4-Vt_g84vEEyhCoBqvfa2Y3USXRpVogAS6BUDhkd44fI1APOHGPcoieCZNN5-9LGVe8iR-lCBSPdftaZoDciJbPruZFVVl_UqXaMEc4zXYcxHq_a_bsPg16_-ankIrIYO8bMJ3GqzM-f1Zq_uZV9t3GL-FYeVWeY0MD5GXMuaPQOsrOG7A87U4MdVFzSphu6o5CjOCghaRFoCbTNMDiAo7VnodqBxpet7cUdval46Z9bk3z9RgxhLy5upbOsUDCjq8FrJu4JS8KzYgXG6WYVvqm1Nh_dCqrAiPMDj-6h7IbWLz3KWrs9X-vV_VbqqaP3mct_apHiVozrFhzWxiW2qkvgtbIgDAGoLllehkr-02pTb-P9WxHlNYnhrvWvx5dSd4i77Gnw7EphN9lowlD2xel4uyE-hPPeW2EOQjM8rUqgM6fWz92QvA_9pS0Vd8G7JvTwMNb-Je9_YYTZRY0-G2Lpsg6E2yrGArv_C8aAmXrwChEp5Cd-7vqCYCQw1ZeF00APvh05Fn4XvL0ZKDc70kPGUQIDQNUX-O63yl1NrYYQtj2zFrZPBfPVpv9I474WawjKr5zhkmTuW1XrDDqe1nOFVkwmRFVbday-N4fk-0FXyA0pWRJM72Kds-2M2t1CDXLFi0tWgkaEsZKtYBeP_7dn5h7pZBS4BFfMdOBjmD96cWUKb9hTdd4Rak2oa_N_zduKdIa6eKlOfeCxqnfmyLBm5kjYMk3amBhmhEnoG3Nu1lMbWjnWeeSx-_F9zQWFhbD-Ffpu-ohfSnRffmh_1ANoks3BWOYEPbRRRzANRHrdj0xV7xjqjpARADdcsxfwT7pvgQfJqQNlo5wPa9Q28DE5HZb6XSkEQ2CCXgA3nKBT_QxtA8h_=w1250-h937-no

the "average price" or a target at the range is $1.25

my range is going to start charging me for the cardboard backings.
I used to be a member of the Pikes Peak Gun Club in Colorado Springs. I quit going there because they actually did start charging everybody on the pistol range a $7 Target stand fee.

They wouldn't allow you to bring your own Target stands but they would allow you to reuse the target stand that you bought from them.

I used to be a member of the Pikes Peak Gun Club in Colorado Springs. I quit going there because they actually did start charging everybody on the pistol range a $7 Target stand fee.

They wouldn't allow you to bring your own Target stands but they would allow you to reuse the target stand that you bought from them.
so once you bougfht thier stand, you could return time after time with that one, and they had no issues..??

what if you had bought a stand EXACLTY like thiers, could they prove that..???

so once you bougfht thier stand, you could return time after time with that one, and they had no issues..??

what if you had bought a stand EXACLTY like thiers, could they prove that..???

It's a long story I'm going to make it as short as I can.

Pikes Peak Gun Club was actually a really nice Gun Club. They had skeet, archery, rifle, pistol and they had a couple of "Tactical" ranges for defensive pistol classes and the like.

The problem was they would arbitrarily raise range fees in the middle of the year. We paid $139 a year for a family membership and then the range fee was (I think) $10. Then one day in the middle of our yearly membership the range fee was $15. With no warning and no explanation even though we had a contract.

I was on the security team at my church for several years. Our trainer was a vice president of the club. So that's where we did all of our training for the security team. The first two or three classes that I attended out there I paid members fee for the range $10.

Then one day I went out there with the class and they decided that everybody in the class member or not had to pay the $20 non-member range fee because they didn't feel like they were making enough money with 30 people (of the 30 5 were members. So they were getting $500 for the $25 non-members and $50 for the five members for 3 hours and apparently that wasn't enough for them) in the class using one berm for about 3 hours. I refused to pay the nonmember fee.

The final straw was when I went out there to do some pistol shooting and they hit me with the $15 member fee and then tacked on the $7 target stand fee. Again with no notice. How hard would it have been for them to send a blast email to everybody on the membership list and let them all know they were changing the fee schedule?

Apparently, their treasurer embezzled $50,000 in club funds and they were trying to get it back and they were just hitting people with any fee they could come up with.

I now drive down to Penrose to shoot at a place called Cactus Flats. $15 dollar flat fee every time I go and I usually have the entire facility to myself

Pikes Peak Gun Club was actually a really nice Gun Club. They had skeet, archery, rifle, pistol and they had a couple of "Tactical" ranges for defensive pistol classes and the like.

The problem was they would arbitrarily raise range fees in the middle of the year. We paid $139 a year for a family membership and then the range fee was (I think) $10. Then one day in the middle of our yearly membership the range fee was $15. With no warning and no explanation even though we had a contract.

I was on the security team at my church for several years. Our trainer was a vice president of the club. So that's where we did all of our training for the security team. The first two or three classes that I attended out there I paid members fee for the range $10.

Then one day I went out there with the class and they decided that everybody in the class member or not had to pay the $20 non-member range fee because they didn't feel like they were making enough money with 30 people (of the 30 5 were members. So they were getting $500 for the $25 non-members and $50 for the five members for 3 hours and apparently that wasn't enough for them) in the class using one berm for about 3 hours. I refused to pay the nonmember fee.

The final straw was when I went out there to do some pistol shooting and they hit me with the $15 member fee and then tacked on the $7 target stand fee. Again with no notice. How hard would it have been for them to send a blast email to everybody on the membership list and let them all know they were changing the fee schedule?

Apparently, their treasurer embezzled $50,000 in club funds and they were trying to get it back and they were just hitting people with any fee they could come up with.

I now drive down to Penrose to shoot at a place called Cactus Flats. $15 dollar flat fee every time I go and I usually have the entire facility to myself
at first, i would have thought the "sudden jump" in fee's were to pay the employee's, who maybe threatened to up and quit, if they did not get a pay raise.

but, embezzlement is a huge issue, when a charity, corporation or business is the victim of a person in charge of the monies.

there is insurance for such thefts..

now either that place did not have it, or never thought to file a claim, and God only knows if they HAD ANY insurance coverage of ANY KIND...

but yeah, i'd high tail it to a better managed place myself......

I worked up a couple prototype stands yesterday. When I decide on exactly what I want I will post some pictures. Basically so far I welded pieces of 3" flat stock to the top of some T-posts. The idea is easily portable/light stands to hang steel gongs off of. I have about 20 gongs ranging from 6" to 18". All very hard 3/8" I had my buddy cut out of a 3'x5' steel plate with his plasma cutter. Not sure if I want to weld a couple hardened chain links to the flat stock or what. I also am going to fab up a stand out of a couple posts with the top bar being long enough to hang several gongs from. The idea though is to be able to put all 20 out at different distances and angles and pick them all back up again when I'm done with a minimum of hassle. I didn't go buy any AR500 steel or anything, it's just a heavy old chunk of 3/8". I can tell you that 55 gr. 5.56 and shotgun slugs don't penetrate it. I have a few 1/4" snowmen shaped targets that 55 gr. won't penetrate, but the green tips go through easily. I also have some AR500 steel and green tips penetrate them too. At least they do at 50 yards or less. I haven't stretched those out yet.

Anyway, when I fab something up I like I'll post some pics. And I think I need a plasma cutter. :)

I have belonged to my club for I think 4 years now. Several different ranges for different purposes. $150 year. Price has never increased. I am also alone 95% of the time I go. And I go a lot.

I'd still rather have my own private set up like Hickok 45 though

I worked up a couple prototype stands yesterday. When I decide on exactly what I want I will post some pictures. Basically so far I welded pieces of 3" flat stock to the top of some T-posts. The idea is easily portable/light stands to hang steel gongs off of. I have about 20 gongs ranging from 6" to 18". All very hard 3/8" I had my buddy cut out of a 3'x5' steel plate with his plasma cutter. Not sure if I want to weld a couple hardened chain links to the flat stock or what. I also am going to fab up a stand out of a couple posts with the top bar being long enough to hang several gongs from. The idea though is to be able to put all 20 out at different distances and angles and pick them all back up again when I'm done with a minimum of hassle. I didn't go buy any AR500 steel or anything, it's just a heavy old chunk of 3/8". I can tell you that 55 gr. 5.56 and shotgun slugs don't penetrate it. I have a few 1/4" snowmen shaped targets that 55 gr. won't penetrate, but the green tips go through easily. I also have some AR500 steel and green tips penetrate them too. At least they do at 50 yards or less. I haven't stretched those out yet.

Anyway, when I fab something up I like I'll post some pics. And I think I need a plasma cutter. :)
Look forward to the finished product.

Look forward to the finished product.

I'm going to work on it some more today. I gotta run up to my dad's and get his auto darkening hood and a few other things for my Mig. He hasn't done any welding in about 10 years now and there's no point in me running up there every time I need to use his welders. I got room now so I need to just bring them down here. Meanwhile I have a few of my own. I do need to run a 220 line in the garage somewhere, but for now I'm just using a little Millermatic 130, which is plenty for this.

Target stands for steel targets are A) expensive B) lacking in ease of deployability and C) a pain to store and transport.

Punched some more paper yesterday, this S&W 10mm was hitting way low with the suppressor sights that come with it, i ordered a set of dawson precision and they got it close but not dead on.

so i decided to put a red dot on it. i used the plastic plates that come with it. that might be a mistake but it didn't come loose in this shooting session. i did use blue loctite on all the screws.

anyway i am well pleased on the accuracy of it and now it's dead on. this was at 10 yards. I really like this swampfox sight, it has a green circle dot. easy to see. I was kinda worried the 10mm jolt would kill it but it didn't but i only shot a box of 50 through it this time. the first pic is getting it sighted on to hit center.

The weather has been super to get out and shoot. i was really surprised how accurate it was. i don't usually shoot this good. maybe just one of those lucky days.

20230108_120136.jpg
20230108_120904.jpg
20230108_121806.jpg

Back