testtest

Range Report: 7y-10y-15y Practice, 4/2/24

BassCliff

Professional
Hello Mouseketeers!

It's boring around here since Mrs. BassCliff is out of town so I'm gonna get to the range an extra day or two this week. I need the practice plus I want to try out the Norma MHP ammo in my EDC and let you guys know how it operates. But I did not do that today, maybe tomorrow or Friday. Today was a cold and rainy Spring day, probably the same tomorrow. I went out to the newer facility today and took advantage of the open member spaces. I was trying not to get my targets wet.

AP1GczOkuPsstg_58e2GnkATy2sDUkpVV4AWBVrSgku_z1ckUkIpXRrPOeNxtBMbD7POJEBdmeTe9oOuIypE8l6TmyNVsYv3JPnYVxkmzWvoQXbPNlyGHu0b1Yq9DaBv4p3i6uqERSRoIq7rSpxpP2BHqa6MMw=w1648-h927-s-no

The range was pretty empty when I arrived so I got my favorite lane, #3. (They're ALL my favorite!)

AP1GczOzNcoS6HAQStPXGAMM0_bshLgdJhXXWzzcsdpBxsuZwA0CT74sfr0ZTFIaZqyBnDWVXqavqYYBf-p_uw2lZQZsImPLYnsNHEL7OX7hZfSFJB_Af9j8wjZyM4amCn7KFbosbjA52lNBbc4A3oUoyaPXyQ=w1648-h927-s-no

The range got a little busier as I practiced but then emptied out again. I had brought along a couple of my long barrel pistols, XD45 Mod.2 Tactical and XDM Elite Precision, 100 rounds of LAX Ammo .45ACP 230 grain, and I shot 100 rounds of Blazer Brass 124 grain, saving the other 50 for later. (My new VP9 should arrive at the other facility by the end of the week.)

AP1GczOGeKhpXrS6gA2k7Dr4R7-ingzUBrVqAmol27ECjoAHh8oyTHMBvvmBZYcM98MAy4ipM2tLp4BPVFGb-FhTh2DkNkxBBOgXCA8DdYepm8RXGLbc7w1JLNirgylb3v-bCZPkcLZet5Z3_YZ6ev_z00oVXw=w1648-h927-s-no

I believe I took a page out of @KillerFord1977's playbook and shot three different targets at three different distances. You see a couple of 4" circles to shoot at 7 and 10 yards and the 8" circle to shoot at 15 yards. I'll start with the XD45 putting 10 rounds on each target at the indicated distance. That's the plan anyway.

AP1GczNFf4ywguybaFvw-EqXFIWfsj68VZ1KnzMXV8s07J06aRMIo9ImpuiyV17ZZKp9vKhlEcRGzZBJCkdQBPJoJvr2fGaBxU_K2wPHbR2EXH4X2I48Nkt2-5anm_KfF55fBJpdtnBTtW7tfhLkCLDpwOxPHg=w1648-h927-s-no

The electronic target trolleys make it easy to change distances with just the touch a button. Here's the results of the first run.

AP1GczPZY80pWM_tvmYBP2ORFKkabJ7bZcnv6zRxZ_5ni0i2Bv93YIHGIRnkD_q6_hLnCPKCq7GVHGS1teG2JLP9tlvYIVIjte5zLHO1LzQwPLKFv3CZhuDSyf20M6gL_A00tHtDwsRhZJYFza6UxJZM_MKoYA=w1648-h927-s-no

Leave it to me to get eight hits on the target and have two flyers. I shot the 15 yard target the best the first time around. I'll do this a couple more times. Here's target #2.

AP1GczMoRduAexrathMEVGJATIU7BHHh7QUqRjVG9MrfTVP__0wUifrp4L8YfoVSGWT8jvYJqD4CXDKb3RGKJSf6KnA4NgtsLMS44bZkSUKATWlhfSlNt7ZmBuv29cSyg4TBsYZBIMrAvw48rg-TycRPCEjYDQ=w1648-h927-s-no

OK, that's a little better. All the hits are dangerously close. I'm a little surprised how well I'm shooting at 15 yards today. I'll patch this up again and put hits on target #3.

AP1GczOriAnORErvehAc2jKgosR3sKfM_G7eNvMrZ21fqIO7ZA29iVTeUECzf0YbQODoQqXC8JeigG-tJ12tSzNt_SgHITV2b-figLECZYoMSoZjH7_LiuE0bzhZ7O0XomQ-Oc74F8G9-NWOHherozA2smpmaA=w1648-h927-s-no

OK, everything is dangerously close again except for those two low hits on the 15 yard target. I could've called those. I lost concentration and took my eye off the ball. I have 10 rounds of .45 left but I'm going to save that for a different target at the end of the session after I shoot the XDM Elite Precision. I like to load up my five magazines with 20 rounds each for an even 100 hits. I patched up this target again and tried to put 20 hits on each circle at 7, 10, and 15 yards. Let's have a look.

AP1GczOMp3zQk1-sR6IMmZz1_3ooWo-mYMb9-Nlk5yutFuG3W5157mBCmlhrAOkDlfLumCehadk5v16QzsFUk5Cf0beAvwL4mipdEEfyR1ERF3WFI_Ej7XT59otpfwzt4QN_SRxdJMlYHhO1WLahAvhetiCaCg=w1648-h927-s-no

After 60 rounds at these targets I see maybe a half dozen that did not hit. We'll just call it "combat accuracy". I'm a little out of practice with the XDM and it shows. I'll try to work on that. For my last two magazines I taped on some "vitals" targets that I printed earlier and sent them out to 15 yards again. I'll try to put 20 hits on the head and 20 in center chest.

AP1GczMQ5iLR4edmAMXd-c_WtlnHFtlQt9AAgsrKSgrKdAeobiKAIPG5qUZVjt0BgheUGdrRj79v-GUTT-JlyH9R3s5U9hsCGGhd5cEkSdQWKXMjJOeeb2uc3Y2QFMSVtGY3TIjwXb6Rgm2nZR4BkAP906s4Ag=w1648-h927-s-no

There's not a lot of contrast to this target, just thin red and blue lines on the white background. I was trying my best to guesstimate the center of the pages. The targets came back like this. I suppose I did some damage.

AP1GczOnCX_omAkPjnxNeh6O30ITp9FNra2g9nGiKwxoSwuVLxi1dlwUjd0GfWLLBIaW3gjkrq7icfOa451CzMVY79kbQJcy_Nx_aPoydTjeqNz6ubZG5pZSe4AETQNsnibETQ03Ny9htkjMbQ4-Rv6KDnlc6Q=w609-h927-s-no

I was really embarrassed about those two flyers at the very top (circled in red). They're a little too high, I'll show you why.

AP1GczNCCjZMTATKynnviG8nc5Ys-looeKDkCvPdtmqnkA8py61_dVyLF6LwWYA8BJeyTmLzABhP3YxrBXkkrEha2L06i8GSZU-NNmwClgvgx1znbVOxPGEv18uA8jGIPYmL31KcbosQx1aYVwdTtUkinvDgtw=w1648-h927-s-no

Now, ya see, I paid $5 for this target holder and I'm trying to take care of it. I've had it for months and these are the first holes I've put in it. Drat. Oh, yeah. I still have 10 rounds of .45. I patched up a small silhouette and sent it out to 15 yards. My ten hits came back looking like this.

AP1GczNRlfvpex5sQaLGWsJ68g1plr_Fg4nEHgs19VSVDEHlrCAn80dHTTLzFzjYywcfDhsGvizVJCicW6aFT7LcGVGEaPOANMVFQRi3MjbiNfzOUqKD4WrY7emnd93jBcKLJbtp9t5esZ_z7X3OJnKS-FZT0A=w1648-h927-s-no

This string was a little high but a nice group. I'll either adjust my hold or perhaps my sight picture was a little off. When that front fiber optic sight gets enough light it's a lot easier to see and put on target. Dang these old eyes. OK, sure, why not a glam shot?

AP1GczN81Mk1GpuKOcwBxB-cckWJhWZ35C50sKFNZvoHgA3sO719ayuU7j1bclXywjVt2_srHl6JUdSmxO3sqGHxJWpRw1p65sB6xYsdBnlgvM_2Hnb5g1fg1C5BHf6qRBmIBbFQxJ_icAdwoWy8T1gSHe3b5g=w1648-h927-s-no

I'm planning to get to the range tomorrow, probably the older facility, and work with a box of that Norma MHP ammo that PSA has been selling for $8 lately. I didn't buy it from PSA. I picked up several boxes of Norma MHP when I was scrambling around California during Covid lockdowns, buying whatever was still on the shelves. I'm sure you've all read reviews on this already but you haven't seen a bass player's point of view. ;)

Until then, blessings to all.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

I’m glad someone is blazing through more ammo than me! Try shooting the 4inch target at 15 yds, Cliff. Let the smaller target pull you in. If you can hit them at 10, you can hit them at 15 - or 20. It’s easier than you think. For me the jump from 20 to 25 is where my brain seems to do some mental gymnastics. Save the 8in targets for 25 yds.

Hi,

Good shootin cliff. Yer goin through some ammo here lately. Sucks to be us that dont shoot much.😂

I'm taking advantage of my down time since the Mrs. is out of town. I generally practice once a week with 100 rounds of 9mm and 50 rounds of .45. Only sometimes will I shoot a few more rounds at practice. The classes I take once a month or so generally use 150-200 rounds per session. This week I'll shoot practice more than average, 300-400 rounds of each. But I don't think I shoot a lot.

There was a fellow in the lane next to me that I've taken a few classes with and seen practicing at the range a couple of times. We were talking and he says he practices three days a week. Maybe he doesn't shoot as much as I do for each practice session. But he was still shooting when I left today.

I'm sure once I get consistent with all my favorite firearms, especially my carry rotation, perhaps I won't need to shoot as much during each practice session. We'll see. I'm just having fun trying to progress.

BassCliff

Hi,

I’m glad someone is blazing through more ammo than me! Try shooting the 4inch target at 15 yds, Cliff. Let the smaller target pull you in. If you can hit them at 10, you can hit them at 15 - or 20. It’s easier than you think. For me the jump from 20 to 25 is where my brain seems to do some mental gymnastics. Save the 8in targets for 25 yds.

This week I'm blazin' through it, that's for sure. I'm planning three days at the range this week, maybe two next week. Then I'll have to get back to my regular once a week. My practice inventory has been growing recently. I order 1000 rounds of 9mm each month and shoot only 400-600 a month. Depending on the deals I find, I'll order 500-750 rounds of .45 each month and shoot only 200. So I have a little extra if I want to splurge once in a while. ;)

I've used the 4" targets at 15 yards with my Mark IV and hit them pretty well. Next time I'll try more "aim small, miss small" with the larger pistols. I think I'll turn that silhouette around so that the stick-on reactive circles are against a white background. That might help my old eyes stay focused. I like switching up my targets, not shooting at the same thing all the time. Some targets make me try harder than others. Hopefully that'll help me do better on all the targets.

For 25 yards I'm ordering some of those "broad side of a barn" targets. :LOL:

BassCliff

The fun begins at 50 and further with a pistol. 50ae sites are sighted for 100 yards and are spot on. Trying it at 50 was difficult at 1st because I had no idea where the bullet was going? This was on a torso sized target. For headshots I had to aim at the waist......seriously. Looks like fun when the wife is out! Good shootin' Tex.........well.......BC! When I get the time I enjoy shooting 50 and 100 yards with 9mm, 357sig (easy button), 40s&w (not as easy as the sig), 10mm (no brainer), 44mag (DE), 45acp (actually better than a 9mm) and a 50ae (DE). Haven't shot the 5.7x28 out that far yet, but should be easy. The DE was bought in 50ae (6" & 10" barrels), then just bought 44mag barrels in the same lengths (required mags for the 44).

Hi,

The fun begins at 50 and further with a pistol. 50ae sites are sighted for 100 yards and are spot on. Trying it at 50 was difficult at 1st because I had no idea where the bullet was going? This was on a torso sized target. For headshots I had to aim at the waist......seriously. Looks like fun when the wife is out! Good shootin' Tex.........well.......BC! When I get the time I enjoy shooting 50 and 100 yards with 9mm, 357sig (easy button), 40s&w (not as easy as the sig), 10mm (no brainer), 44mag (DE), 45acp (actually better than a 9mm) and a 50ae (DE). Haven't shot the 5.7x28 out that far yet, but should be easy. The DE was bought in 50ae (6" & 10" barrels), then just bought 44mag barrels in the same lengths (required mags for the 44).

Wow, that sounds like a ton'o'fun. It might be a while before I venture beyond the 9mm/.45/.22 genres for my pistols. After I save up my gig money for an AR, then I can slowly acquire a big revolver here and there, and a 10mm, and a Desert Eagle, etc. You guys are a bad influence on me. First a VP9 and then who knows? But I knew it would be like this. One is too many and 1000 is not enough. :ROFLMAO:

BassCliff

Hi,

Wow, that sounds like a ton'o'fun. It might be a while before I venture beyond the 9mm/.45/.22 genres for my pistols. After I save up my gig money for an AR, then I can slowly acquire a big revolver here and there, and a 10mm, and a Desert Eagle, etc. You guys are a bad influence on me. First a VP9 and then who knows? But I knew it would be like this. One is too many and 1000 is not enough. :ROFLMAO:

BassCliff
Save your money and DON'T buy a DE as it's overrated, but is fun to shoot. What's also overrated is kriss vectors and ps90's as I have them also. The handgun version is fun and worth more than the ps90 by far.

BassCliff, if I shot as well as you do I'd only have practice once a year. As it is the folks on the lanes on either side of me must wonder why I even bother. You are doing quite well, and your wife knows you're out shooting and not out misbehaving! That's certainly a plus. Now, take it easy on that pistol, and for heaven's sake don't wear it out.

It is a lot of fun dinging steel at 100 yds with a pistol. If you use a red dot the offset is crazy, like you said, aim at the waist to hit the head.

Hi,

I'm taking advantage of my down time since the Mrs. is out of town. I generally practice once a week with 100 rounds of 9mm and 50 rounds of .45. Only sometimes will I shoot a few more rounds at practice. The classes I take once a month or so generally use 150-200 rounds per session. This week I'll shoot practice more than average, 300-400 rounds of each. But I don't think I shoot a lot.

There was a fellow in the lane next to me that I've taken a few classes with and seen practicing at the range a couple of times. We were talking and he says he practices three days a week. Maybe he doesn't shoot as much as I do for each practice session. But he was still shooting when I left today.

I'm sure once I get consistent with all my favorite firearms, especially my carry rotation, perhaps I won't need to shoot as much during each practice session. We'll see. I'm just having fun trying to progress.

BassCliff
It should always be fun. Don't ever let it become a case of 'have to'!!!!

It is a lot of fun dinging steel at 100 yds with a pistol. If you use a red dot the offset is crazy, like you said, aim at the waist to hit the head.
What am I misunderstanding here ... aim at the waist to hit the head???? What is your site in range I guess is my first question to force that much hold 'under'. Am I missing something, or just stupid? Everything I've got in handguns would almost have to be held on the head to hit the waist IIRC. I know it must be something simple that I'm overlooking, but I just don't see it. Help me!

My EDC is sighted at 10yds, which puts it within a small fraction at 50yds (-.09") and almost -8" at 100yds.

Back