testtest

Range Report: Couple Days of Target Practice, 9/26-27/23

Hey!

You guys are killin' me! :ROFLMAO:

My ex was a temperamental old broad, about 90% temper and 10% mental.

She used to meet me at the front door wearing nothing but a negligee. Yep, I was leaving for work and she was just getting home.

But she was a great housekeeper. When we got divorced, she kept the house.

I'll hang up on myself now.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Okay....is it safe? 🙂 Ya'll went off there, but it was funny. Anyway... that was great shooting! I have a low left problem I'm working on too. I am still breaking that gun in though. Thanks for sharing. I need some of those high viz targets, I'm thinking. I wear prescription safety glasses at the range, but those colors would definitely help.

Thank you for YOUR indulgence...😎, ya'll can go and be super funny again😊

Okay....is it safe? 🙂 Ya'll went off there, but it was funny. Anyway... that was great shooting! I have a low left problem I'm working on too. I am still breaking that gun in though. Thanks for sharing. I need some of those high viz targets, I'm thinking. I wear prescription safety glasses at the range, but those colors would definitely help.

i noticed the somewhat lower and to the left as well....i still do the same thing as well.

as we all know, it's how we position our finger on the trigger. and as i know i found out, maybe others have as well, each gun's trigger is different.

days that i "just want to hit the target", i really don't care, but i should.

then the days i want in the "bullseye zone", i concentrate more. as witnessed from my several target pics over the past 1-2 years or so.

i think however, that under stress (if in the throes of being attacked), we still should be able to hit the thug in the overall body mass area.

it's not important to kill (although some will debate that till the horse dies), but important to "stop the threat".

the old axiom, when the man asked the NYC cab driver, "how do i get to Carnegie Hall"?

and the driver answers back...."practice, practice, practice"

we should all be thankful at the very least, we get to the ranges, clubs, or backyard safe shooting area, and practice at the very least once per week, when we can..

to those that simply buy a gun cuz..."i just want to be safe at home", keep it in the drawer or on the night stand, and let it collect dust, thinking they will be on target when that need arises.

Well, it could be finger position on the trigger. Or it could be jerking in anticipation of recoil or not moving the trigger finger independently and PRESSING the trigger straight back. Too tight of a grip with your strong hand makes it harder to move your trigger finger independently.

Jerking the trigger tends to get you a big drop to the left, sketchy trigger control gets you the typical inch or so low and left. I often get this when I jump back and forth between three or four different guns at the range, but even then my groups are still pretty good. I visualize myself pulling the trigger straight back when I get a bit sloppy. It always gets me back on bull.

Hi,

Ha! You funny! ;) Sometimes we digress. :p

Let me just relate to you what I've learned and tried to put into practice.

There are a couple of schools of thought as to handling your pistol. There are those who get a vice-like grip on it so that the gun doesn't move (much?) while they're thinking "I'm gonna make this gun do what I want it to." But a lot of us can't free our trigger finger enough, allow it to act independently, to pull it straight back when the palms of our hands are squeezing the grip, and the off-hand is "pulling" while the strong hand is "pushing".

Another school of thought is to keep a firm grip but go ahead and let the gun recoil. The important thing is to keep the sight picture, keep the sights properly aligned all the way through the trigger pull, right up until the shot fires. Without as much stress in your grip your trigger finger will be able to move straight back more accurately. When the gun recoils it will flip a little more but your good grip will allow you to get the sights back on target quickly.

I seem to have better accuracy using the second school of thought. With a little looser grip, especially with the strong hand, my trigger finger is able to move more independently and let the sights remain aligned on the target. I also have to fight the urge to look over my sights to see where the shot will land, thus taking my eyes off the front sight.

There's a Youtube video floating around where the instructor stresses the most important thing in accuracy is the sight picture and sight alignment, more important than grip or stance. He even stands on one foot, holds the pistol upside down in his off hand with his thumb and ring finger, squeezes the trigger with his pinky, and hits the steel target about 20 yards away. I found it!

Anyway, there are many more shooters here much more experienced than I who can offer more help. I've been training and practicing for three years and still have my good days and bad days. I have better days when I concentrate on the front sight more. ;)

BassCliff

Give me enough time to develop a career as an instructor and I’ll be able to stand on one foot with the gun upside down. He wasn’t doing that in his first three years. One of the problems with trying to become a pistoleer is that there are so many trains of thought, techniques, styles, etc that it can be very easy to overthink the whole thing. I hear what you’re saying about watching your sights, and as you know I shoot primarily with red dots and when I’m firing a rapid fire string I see the dot on the first shot and I have come to “trust” that my grip, stance and trigger technique will get the rest on target - and they do, usually one on top of the other. At some point you have to decide to become comfortable with your style, whatever it may be. I don’t crush the gun, I’m very zen and try to be one with the gun in my approach and it works for me. I never shoot isosceles, it’s not comfortable for me. @KillerFord1977 always comments that I don’t lock my arms the way he does. Our respective styles are pretty different, but our results are nearly identical. One last comment - I think people put way too much importance on shooting fast and shooting from the draw. I believe it is the enemy of good technique. I really only started focusing on both in the last year, instead I spent my time prior making sure I could put shot on top of shot at 15, 20, and 25 yds. You just can’t learn everything at once otherwise you struggle to get on top of everything. There’s a reason they don’t start you out on Wagner’s Ring Cycle when you’re learning to play an instrument the first time. Wax on, wax off, my friend.

Hi,

Ha! You funny! ;) Sometimes we digress. :p

Let me just relate to you what I've learned and tried to put into practice.

There are a couple of schools of thought as to handling your pistol. There are those who get a vice-like grip on it so that the gun doesn't move (much?) while they're thinking "I'm gonna make this gun do what I want it to." But a lot of us can't free our trigger finger enough, allow it to act independently, to pull it straight back when the palms of our hands are squeezing the grip, and the off-hand is "pulling" while the strong hand is "pushing".

Another school of thought is to keep a firm grip but go ahead and let the gun recoil. The important thing is to keep the sight picture, keep the sights properly aligned all the way through the trigger pull, right up until the shot fires. Without as much stress in your grip your trigger finger will be able to move straight back more accurately. When the gun recoils it will flip a little more but your good grip will allow you to get the sights back on target quickly.

I seem to have better accuracy using the second school of thought. With a little looser grip, especially with the strong hand, my trigger finger is able to move more independently and let the sights remain aligned on the target. I also have to fight the urge to look over my sights to see where the shot will land, thus taking my eyes off the front sight.

There's a Youtube video floating around where the instructor stresses the most important thing in accuracy is the sight picture and sight alignment, more important than grip or stance. He even stands on one foot, holds the pistol upside down in his off hand with his thumb and ring finger, squeezes the trigger with his pinky, and hits the steel target about 20 yards away. I found it!

Anyway, there are many more shooters here much more experienced than I who can offer more help. I've been training and practicing for three years and still have my good days and bad days. I have better days when I concentrate on the front sight more. ;)

BassCliff
Thank you so much for your insight, and experience. I think my problem may be trying to crush the gun in my tiny hands. I guess the trick is to control without the mangle. Go with the recoil and concentrate on keeping the sight picture. So much to remember...but that is why I am committed to going to the range weekly. It's the only way I'll develop and keep the muscle memory.

Thank you again BassCliff!

Well, it could be finger position on the trigger. Or it could be jerking in anticipation of recoil or not moving the trigger finger independently and PRESSING the trigger straight back. Too tight of a grip with your strong hand makes it harder to move your trigger finger independently.
Yep, I find myself jerking the trigger sometimes and anticipating that recoil. My brain needs to let that go.

Jerking the trigger tends to get you a big drop to the left, sketchy trigger control gets you the typical inch or so low and left. I often get this when I jump back and forth between three or four different guns at the range, but even then my groups are still pretty good. I visualize myself pulling the trigger straight back when I get a bit sloppy. It always gets me back on bull.
I use visualization a lot in other areas of my life. Time to use it at the range, eh? Duh... Thanks for the tip! 😎

Hi,

Give me enough time to develop a career as an instructor and I’ll be able to stand on one foot with the gun upside down. He wasn’t doing that in his first three years. One of the problems with trying to become a pistoleer is that there are so many trains of thought, techniques, styles, etc that it can be very easy to overthink the whole thing. I hear what you’re saying about watching your sights, and as you know I shoot primarily with red dots and when I’m firing a rapid fire string I see the dot on the first shot and I have come to “trust” that my grip, stance and trigger technique will get the rest on target - and they do, usually one on top of the other. At some point you have to decide to become comfortable with your style, whatever it may be. I don’t crush the gun, I’m very zen and try to be one with the gun in my approach and it works for me. I never shoot isosceles, it’s not comfortable for me. @KillerFord1977 always comments that I don’t lock my arms the way he does. Our respective styles are pretty different, but our results are nearly identical. One last comment - I think people put way too much importance on shooting fast and shooting from the draw. I believe it is the enemy of good technique. I really only started focusing on both in the last year, instead I spent my time prior making sure I could put shot on top of shot at 15, 20, and 25 yds. You just can’t learn everything at once otherwise you struggle to get on top of everything. There’s a reason they don’t start you out on Wagner’s Ring Cycle when you’re learning to play an instrument the first time. Wax on, wax off, my friend.

Indeed. Unfortunately, I don't really have 20 years to invest in a shooting sports career. I'm still running my guns old school with iron sights though some have been upgraded a little with fiber optic light pipes and tritium.

You are right about "overthinking" the whole shooting procedure. I know the fundamentals and now it's up to me to make them work for me. I find it's mostly a mental exercise in trusting the sights. Keep the sights aligned on the target and I'll hit it. I must pretty much ignore everything else, especially the expected recoil.

It's been a while since I've reviewed all the different stances, Isosceles, Weaver, Modified Weaver, Chapman, etc. I guess you would call my stance a "Modified Power Isosceles". Square to the target, my arms are fully extended, but I don't lock my elbows, gun side foot is back just a little (my foot length), knees unlocked, and the pistol is not directly in front of my face but shifted slightly to the right so it's over my dominant eye.

It's also good counseling when you remind us to slow down a little. We can't learn everything at once.

Perhaps one day I can take the pebble from your hand. ;)

BassCliff

Hi,

Indeed. Unfortunately, I don't really have 20 years to invest in a shooting sports career. I'm still running my guns old school with iron sights though some have been upgraded a little with fiber optic light pipes and tritium.

You are right about "overthinking" the whole shooting procedure. I know the fundamentals and now it's up to me to make them work for me. I find it's mostly a mental exercise in trusting the sights. Keep the sights aligned on the target and I'll hit it. I must pretty much ignore everything else, especially the expected recoil.

It's been a while since I've reviewed all the different stances, Isosceles, Weaver, Modified Weaver, Chapman, etc. I guess you would call my stance a "Modified Power Isosceles". Square to the target, my arms are fully extended, but I don't lock my elbows, gun side foot is back just a little (my foot length), knees unlocked, and the pistol is not directly in front of my face but shifted slightly to the right so it's over my dominant eye.

It's also good counseling when you remind us to slow down a little. We can't learn everything at once.

Perhaps one day I can take the pebble from your hand. ;)

BassCliff
Low left for me is usually to tight a grip with my fingers on the lower part of the pistol grip. Ring finger.
Pulls it low left. Couple with trigger issues and index finger and low left prevails.

Accuracy then Speed

Never shot @SimonRL ’s Tisas 1911 ever.
Put all rounds dead bull at 10 yrds

Never shot his VP9 before. Put all rounds dead bull at 10 yards

Technique matters. Pistol does not.

Unless its Hi-Point. Then throw it at them and use @Belt Fed ’s chainsaw for back up

Low left for me is usually to tight a grip with my fingers on the lower part of the pistol grip. Ring finger.
Pulls it low left. Couple with trigger issues and index finger and low left prevails.

Accuracy then Speed

Never shot @SimonRL ’s Tisas 1911 ever.
Put all rounds dead bull at 10 yrds

Never shot his VP9 before. Put all rounds dead bull at 10 yards

Technique matters. Pistol does not.

Unless its Hi-Point. Then throw it at them and use @Belt Fed ’s chainsaw for back up
Let’s not forget they were Simon’s guns, so they’ve been trained to behave. 😎

I made a quick run to the range this morning just to work on grip, trigger control and draw. Still training myself with the optic. When I slowed down and visualized everything I did excellent. One ragged hole as they say. I did some missing but they were equally right, left, high and low. Not much but…
Damn dot won’t stay still for :poop: 😂

Back