testtest

Range Report: Mossberg 940 Pro Tactical 12-Gauge Shotgun

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
The 12 gauge 940 Pro Tactical combines several noteworthy features in a no-nonsense, personal-defense package.

The first Mossberg 940 was the JM Pro Competition, promoted by professional shooter Jerry Miculek. A couple of hunting versions followed. The latest is this tactical model which can also serve as a competition gun. The 940 series utilizes a redesigned gas system that includes a new piston and sleeve that rides over the magazine tube, so the gun runs cleaner and more reliably.

Range Report: Mossberg 940 Pro Tactical 12-Gauge Shotgun

Mossberg-940-Tactical-Pro-3.jpg

I got my hands on one of these last weekend. Other than the stock it feels a lot like my 1301. I only got to shoot one mag out of it, but the guy who owned it shot the hell out of it and there were no failures of any kind. Not that I would have expected any. It is light and fast, though not as fast as my Beretta. I think outside the Benelli M4 and the Beretta 1301 T it's the best tactical semi auto shotgun on the market.

Yeah $1000 is a little steep. Especially considering a 1301 is about $1300. The guy last weekend said he paid around $800 for his though. I’m not sure what the new Beretta A400 tactical, which was designed to compete with that Mossberg, sells for and I haven’t seen one in person, but from what I understand you can’t change the stock on it. That’s a deal breaker for me.

So really it’s a matter of what you want to spend and what kind of action you prefer.

Of course there is no shortage of crappy Turkish and Russian pump actions and box mag fed guns you can buy for under $300.

FWIW, I don’t think it’s fair to compare Mossberg to KIA. Outside of the new “Budget” model Beretta, Mossbergs are the best American made tactical shotguns right now in my opinion.

Yeah $1000 is a little steep. Especially considering a 1301 is about $1300. The guy last weekend said he paid around $800 for his though. I’m not sure what the new Beretta A400 tactical, which was designed to compete with that Mossberg, sells for and I haven’t seen one in person, but from what I understand you can’t change the stock on it. That’s a deal breaker for me.

So really it’s a matter of what you want to spend and what kind of action you prefer.

Of course there is no shortage of crappy Turkish and Russian pump actions and box mag fed guns you can buy for under $300.

FWIW, I don’t think it’s fair to compare Mossberg to KIA. Outside of the new “Budget” model Beretta, Mossbergs are the best American made tactical shotguns right now in my opinion.
Yeah, and a KIA is a budget car, so comparison for budget product is sound.

The 1301 tactical is currently selling in the $1600 to $1700 range now. There has been a huge price increase this past year on these.

I'm sure there's the one off deal to be found somewhere out there but it's not common to find them for the $1300 they were last year.

Beretta seems to be taken advantage of the unexpected popularity of the 1301 tactical and have increased the price drastically because of demand.

If I didn't already own a Benelli M4, and have no real need for a second tactical shotgun, the Mossberg 940 Pro would be my choice. Love the way they have incorporated an optic mount into the receiver.

Yeah, and a KIA is a budget car, so comparison for budget product is sound.
Well, that Mossberg you claim sells for $1000. There’s about 10 semi auto shotguns I can think of off the top of my head that sell for under $400. I can think of about 3 or 4 that sell for more than the Mossberg. That makes it mid tier at worst, not budget. So more like a Chevy Cruz or Toyota Camry.

The 1301 tactical is currently selling in the $1600 to $1700 range now. There has been a huge price increase this past year on these.

I'm sure there's the one off deal to be found somewhere out there but it's not common to find them for the $1300 they were last year.

Beretta seems to be taken advantage of the unexpected popularity of the 1301 tactical and have increased the price drastically because of demand.
Well I haven’t priced them since I bought mine last year for $1350.

Back