testtest

Range Report: RO LW Compact 9mm

Finally got to the range today...perfect day for it; cool, a bit of a breeze, but bright sunshine.
9A329AB2-09E8-4154-B714-536399175F69.jpeg

I brought the RO, the two mags (have two Wilson ETM 9rd on the way...) and 3 types of factory ammo—115gr WWB and S&B FMJ, and Armscor 124gr FMJ. I prefer to test a new pistol with factory ammo, not handloads in case of issues.

I broke it down last week and gave it a good cleaning and lube...a bit more lube than I’d normally use, actually, but this is also the break in phase.

I also have a preference for the first shots out of a new gun I might be carrying...basically a rapid fire mag dump, to see if it chokes right off the bat. It didn’t; 8 rounds of WWB went through it like free beer through a college freshman. This was from bringing it up from low ready at 20 feet:
314A5681-9A46-45B9-9301-4A9BE9653CB4.jpeg

I was pleased, to say the least.

I then walked back to 50’, and went for accuracy to the head.
FAECF537-0E01-4C69-B902-564FD86DACCE.jpeg

I am impressed. At first I thought I dropped a shot...but closer inspection showed a twofer in the lower center.

We’ve got some potential, here.

I then gave it a run at point shooting; bring it up from low ready at 7 yards, fire a controlled pair to the body, bring it down, repeat...followed by one handed, bring it up from low ready and fire one shot to the head at 5 yards.
CB04A2F7-1D10-4719-9A5E-3E6E35FDB29E.jpeg

I dropped one of the headshots into the chest, but I don’t know which one.

After this, I switched to dinging 25 yard steel (it does it with gusto) and I even put up a silhouette at 50 yards, just to feel humble...8 shots in about a 8” group offhand...not bad for getting to know a girl.

I am very pleased, to say the least. I ran the entire 100 rounds of WWB, and 50 of the Armscor...no feeding issues, accuracy is good. It's a keeper.

A few issues...minor, though. Towards the end, I had one failure to lock back on the WWB, and on the very last string (also WWB), the slide locked, but dropped when I removed the mag (no, I was nowhere near the release). May have been the same mag, I forgot to mark them...something to keep an eye on in the future.

Speaking of mags—a few people have mentioned how stiff the mag springs are in their 9mm SA 1911’s, and Ye Gods! They are speaking the truth! I had to grab my low-profile “range bag”—a backpack—and didn’t have an UPLULA, just bare essentials...and that 8th round was a B(EE)CH to get in there! By using the old-school “Uzi Tap“ trick, I actually got 9 in, once...but usually 8 was it. So...I’ve got them loaded to see if it improves them.

Other than those two first world problems? It ran great; definitely a contender for EDC duty. Going to order some G10 grips, probably a grip patch for the front strap...then look at night sights (likely Trijicon HD’s).

Next range session: carry ammo vetting. There will be a timer involved.

TL/DR version: I like it, a lot.

Last edited:
Finally got to the range today...perfect day for it; cool, a bit of a breeze, but bright sunshine.
View attachment 9601
I brought the RO, the two mags (have two Wilson ETM 9rd on the way...) and 3 types of factory ammo—115gr WWB and S&B FMJ, and Armscor 124gr FMJ. I prefer to test a new pistol with factory ammo, not handloads in case of issues.

I broke it down last week and gave it a good cleaning and lube...a bit more lube than I’d normally use, actually, but this is also the break in phase.

I also have a preference for the first shots out of a new gun I might be carrying...basically a rapid fire mag dump, to see if it chokes right off the bat. It didn’t; 8 rounds of WWB went through it like free beer through a college freshman. This was from bringing it up from low ready at 20 feet:
View attachment 9602
I was pleased, to say the least.

I then walked back to 50’, and went for accuracy to the head.
View attachment 9603
I am impressed. At first I thought I dropped a shot...but closer inspection showed a twofer in the lower center.

We’ve got some potential, here.

I then gave it a run at point shooting; bring it up from low ready at 7 yards, fire a controlled pair to the body, bring it down, repeat...followed by one handed, bring it up from low ready and fire one shot to the head at 5 yards.
View attachment 9604
I dropped one of the headshots into the chest, but I don’t know which one.

After this, I switched to dinging 25 yard steel (it does it with gusto) and I even put up a silhouette at 50 yards, just to feel humble...8 shots in about a 8” group offhand...not bad for getting to know a girl.

I am very pleased, to say the least. I ran the entire 100 rounds of WWB, and 50 of the Armscor...no feeding issues, accuracy is good. It's a keeper.

A few issues...minor, though. Towards the end, I had one failure to lock back on the WWB, and on the very last string (also WWB), the slide locked, but dropped when I removed the mag (no, I was nowhere near the release). May have been the same mag, I forgot to mark them...something to keep an eye on in the future.

Speaking of mags—a few people have mentioned how stiff the mag springs are in their 9mm SA 1911’s, and Ye Gods! They are speaking the truth! I had to grab my low-profile “range bag”—a backpack—and didn’t have an UPLULA, just bare essentials...and that 8th round was a B(EE)CH to get in there! By using the old-school “Uzi Tap“ trick, I actually got 9 in, once...but usually 8 was it. So...I’ve got them loaded to see if it improves them.

Other than those two first world problems? It ran great; definitely a contender for EDC duty. Going to order some G10 grips, probably a grip patch for the front strap...then look at night sights (likely Trijicon HD’s).

Next range session: carry ammo vetting. There will be a timer involved.

TL/DR version: I like it, a lot.
The outdoor range I visit turns into a mud hole after a very lite rain however at $15.00 for a whole day it’s “almost” worth the mess. Indoor ranges in my area are too darn expensive.

I ran it again last week, but that was still ball. Ran drills, and I creamed the Wilson 5x5 in just over 20 seconds out of a DeSantis Speed Scabbard.

Wilson 9-rd mags ran like a champ. Ordering more, they’ll likely be my carry standard.

Digging through The Magazine, I’ve got the following carry loads on tap for vetting: 115gr HydraShok, 124gr Gold Dot, Golden Sabre & HST, 147gr HST, Ranger-T, and Gold Dot...as well as 124+P Gold Dot and HydraShok, 147+P HST, and 115+P+ 9BPLE and 127+P+ Ranger-T.

May get out today, if I can avoid the honeydews...

Nice shooting, nice range 👍😎.

When I got the chance the other day after 3 mos of not shooting, I noticed our outdoor range looked to be recently bush-hogged. Definitely not "golf course manicured" results, but for less than $50 annual fee, it works for me. :)

The outdoor range I frequent is $150 a year, way to much for the amount of times I go. However they do have a great selection of long guns and ammunition including an outstanding amount of handguns available.
E68FD4CC-4A3B-4EB7-AB43-C2091D5ED43E.jpeg

This picture is from there new website.
And that wall is representative of what I saw last Wednesday. And when I walked in they were stocking ammunition.

The outdoor range I frequent is $150 a year, way to much for the amount of times I go. However they do have a great selection of long guns and ammunition including an outstanding amount of handguns available.
View attachment 10310
This picture is from there new website.
And that wall is representative of what I saw last Wednesday. And when I walked in they were stocking ammunition.

Nice.

My range doesn’t have a “pro shop”, as it were...be nice if it did, though!

Our very rural, outdoor range is low-key, and basically self-serve. Members have the combo to the gate lock. No RO/SO. First one in unlocks the gate, last one out locks it closed. More often than not, even before covid shut-down/ closed things, 98% of the time, I was usually the only one there, unless my grandson was with me. No pro shop, no snack bar, only a porta-potty if mother nature calls. Nice and quiet, no commercialization. I dislike crowds, so it works for me. :)

Our very rural, outdoor range is low-key, and basically self-serve. Members have the combo to the gate lock. No RO/SO. First one in unlocks the gate, last one out locks it closed. More often than not, even before covid shut-down/ closed things, 98% of the time, I was usually the only one there, unless my grandson was with me. No pro shop, no snack bar, only a porta-potty if mother nature calls. Nice and quiet, no commercialization. I dislike crowds, so it works for me. :)

Sounds like mine.

Sounds like heaven.

Back