testtest

Rating Products That Require Hand-Fitting?

wmg1299

Professional
My favorite style of grips for snub-nose revolvers is the classic slim wood grip. I have been highly impressed by my Taurus 942 Ultra-Lite .22 Magnum revolver, and decided to drop a little money on it. I have slim wood grips on my S&W J-Frames, and can easily find pages of listings for this style of grip on Amazon or eBay for $29.99. Even though the 942 is built on the popular 856 frame, the only slim grips I could find anywhere online were a $50 set imported from Thailand.

The set looks great. The only issue is that they were advertised as having a simple screw-on installation. This was not an accurate description, and the grips required some hand-fitting. 10 minutes of time with a Dremel fixed everything, but there was no way that these grips would have fit flush without it.

This company encourages customers to post reviews of their products. I love the look and feel of the grips, and appreciate the company offering grips for the 942. My question is: “How much does the need for hand-fitting affect how you rate a product?” Does it justify giving a 4-star rating instead of a 5-star, or should we all just expect a little extra work to be required when installing accessories?

Taurus 942 Grips.jpg

My favorite style of grips for snub-nose revolvers is the classic slim wood grip. I have been highly impressed by my Taurus 942 Ultra-Lite .22 Magnum revolver, and decided to drop a little money on it. I have slim wood grips on my S&W J-Frames, and can easily find pages of listings for this style of grip on Amazon or eBay for $29.99. Even though the 942 is built on the popular 856 frame, the only slim grips I could find anywhere online were a $50 set imported from Thailand.

The set looks great. The only issue is that they were advertised as having a simple screw-on installation. This was not an accurate description, and the grips required some hand-fitting. 10 minutes of time with a Dremel fixed everything, but there was no way that these grips would have fit flush without it.

This company encourages customers to post reviews of their products. I love the look and feel of the grips, and appreciate the company offering grips for the 942. My question is: “How much does the need for hand-fitting affect how you rate a product?” Does it justify giving a 4-star rating instead of a 5-star, or should we all just expect a little extra work to be required when installing accessories?

View attachment 30192
Good question. I have absolutely loved the wood walnut stock I bought after-market for my M1A, but the handguard required 2 hours with my dremel tool to fit it properly. I never thought for a second that the supplier should have it finished for fitting without mods. I guess because it's well-known you need to finish-fit any wood stock going on an M1A.

Maybe I shouldn't be so happy with it?

There was a discussion on another forum regarding a car part that had some fit issue, OEM vs less expensive knockoff was the debate. A commenter was concerned the part he got from an ebay seller wouldn’t fit without some coercion and still wasn’t like the original.

In a perfect world everything would match up, but there could be trademark and patent issues. Some would argue use of inferior materials lead to deformation, as in plastics.
Another case and point recently discussed on a podcast was an issue with a long produced Ford where sheet metal body parts that are stamped out on old, tired molds loosing tolerances over time resulting in panels gaps askew and not lining up precisely.

If something is advertised to fit as a direct replacement then it should be just that.

In your case, having to trim with a dremmel means something is awry, maybe they didn’t use an actual SW revolver but a knock-off or some wrong blueprint to make their product to that specification, hence the trimming. Maybe the manufacturing process needs a tweak. Quality control maybe missed one or just carelessness. You didn’t specify exactly what alteration you made. Once you tamper, most places refuse to take the product back. Lucky for you that you’re equipped and knowledgeable to make it work. For me, $50 is too much to risk.

I think and expect with a 3D printing with plastics would require some trimming or excesses, if such exists and not removed before shipping. But a computer aided design cut via laser based on drawings should render an exact duplicate. Who knows what method they used to produce their product.

Any work I would have to do to a product would result in zero stars for quality - and a manufacturer should be made aware unless it states such is necessary, but then it’s not an authentic replacement part but an Unreasonable facsimile thereof.

If something is advertised to fit as a direct replacement then it should be just that.

Any work I would have to do to a product would result in zero stars for quality - and a manufacturer should be made aware unless it states such is necessary, but then it’s not an authentic replacement part but an Unreasonable facsimile thereof.
I agree with Area52. Your work looks great, but then there's Bubba, and for the Bubbas it's easier to mess something up than it is to fix it. You can give a positive rating, but in the comment section let potential buyers know what to expect. That's only fair.

View attachment 30192
I would say just what you said here in a review and give 4 stars, assuming you are happy with it otherwise, and state that you would have given 5 stars if it had fit properly without you having to modify it.

3 stages of barrel buying
1. drop in
2. semi-fit (requires minor adjustments)
3. gunsmith ( either you are qualified, have the knowhow or have a gunsmith fit it)
When buying you know what to expect! I buy the semi-fit as I have done 3 barrels with great results on semi-autos. None are 1911's! Do I change the rating? I rate it on how the product performs and as @Recusant states what to do in the comment section is justifiable! I bought a stock from Boyd's and it was horrible where the dbm goes and the action screws are. I've had the stock for a long time and nowhere near being close to finish. If I were to go into full length discussion about it you would think @TSiWRX wrote it.

View attachment 30192
In this day and age of amazon a cheap chinese knockoffs, it is no surprise that things now require "adjusting" in order to fulfill their "direct fit" claims. When I bought a basket case 1994 Specialized Rockhopper FSE online back in 2017, I was looking for an affordable solution to the aluminum and laminate frames they have out there. Long story short, I have a totally rebuilt mountain bike that cost me close to what a good bike would cost, but it is something I rebuilt to MY taste and fit. The only thing original on the bike are the frame, which is chromemoly steel, and the handlebars, which I liked. During my research into bicycles in general, it used to be that anything made in Taiwan was considered "junk". That has since changed, and China is the new Taiwan. Taiwan, having become a capitalist market, has to have a certain level of quality in order to keep businesses there, as well as being affordable for those businesses. China is now the go to when it comes to cheap labor and manufacturing. Most of your box store bicycles are made in China. So, most of the stuff you buy for a "decent price" online from amazon, etc., are not held to the same quality standards as a reputable "oem" item. In short, 4 stars with the comment that the part requires modifications/massaging for that "exact" fit is more than reasonable. You are letting prospective buyers know that while you are very happy with the product, it is not "exact fit" and is therefore not something they may want to spend their hard earned money on if they don't have the skills, patience, and tools to make it fit. I find it very rare that I give anything more than 4 stars due to this. Just my 2 cents.

If you are told going in that hand fitting is required, then you rate how you feel it looks. If however there is no mention of hand fitting and it requires more than a simple, oh say a couple licks with a file to true up something then I would rate down, the more extensive that fitting the lower the rating. Having to drill holes, and reprofile knife edges and other major things would be a bad review. This gets into major issues like having to spot repair finishes due to said repairs.

I am decent and comfortable woodworking things like grips and knife handles, but others are not and should be given realistic expectations of products they buy. Hopefully most such purchasers are aware that many cheap mass produced items from overseas will be more problematic than some more reputable brands.

Just an opinion

1. drop in
3. gunsmith ( either you are qualified, have the knowhow or have a gunsmith fit it)
When buying you know what to expect! I buy the semi-fit as I have done 3 barrels with great results on semi-autos. None are 1911's! Do I change the rating? I rate it on how the product performs and as @Recusant states what to do in the comment section is justifiable! I bought a stock from Boyd's and it was horrible where the dbm goes and the action screws are. I've had the stock for a long time and nowhere near being close to finish. If I were to go into full length discussion about it you would think @TSiWRX wrote it.
Its been a long time since TSiWRX has been on here 🧐

1. drop in
I thought most drop in parts for 1911s meant you had to drop in and see you gunsmith.

I thought most drop in parts for 1911s meant you had to drop in and see you gunsmith.
I don't know if I would drop in any 1911 barrels? I don't own any, but from what I hear most require a gunsmith? Anything without a barrel bushing should be good or I'm comfortable with doing.

In this day and age of amazon a cheap chinese knockoffs, it is no surprise that things now require "adjusting" in order to fulfill their "direct fit" claims. When I bought a basket case 1994 Specialized Rockhopper FSE online back in 2017, I was looking for an affordable solution to the aluminum and laminate frames they have out there. Long story short, I have a totally rebuilt mountain bike that cost me close to what a good bike would cost, but it is something I rebuilt to MY taste and fit. The only thing original on the bike are the frame, which is chromemoly steel, and the handlebars, which I liked. During my research into bicycles in general, it used to be that anything made in Taiwan was considered "junk". That has since changed, and China is the new Taiwan. Taiwan, having become a capitalist market, has to have a certain level of quality in order to keep businesses there, as well as being affordable for those businesses. China is now the go to when it comes to cheap labor and manufacturing. Most of your box store bicycles are made in China. So, most of the stuff you buy for a "decent price" online from amazon, etc., are not held to the same quality standards as a reputable "oem" item. In short, 4 stars with the comment that the part requires modifications/massaging for that "exact" fit is more than reasonable. You are letting prospective buyers know that while you are very happy with the product, it is not "exact fit" and is therefore not something they may want to spend their hard earned money on if they don't have the skills, patience, and tools to make it fit. I find it very rare that I give anything more than 4 stars due to this. Just my 2 cents.
Yes, there really is such a problem these days, not only with bikes. I remember trying to ride my dad's old bike and being surprised that I didn't have to hold my body in an uncomfortable position for a long time and worry that something would happen to it in the middle of the road. You can, of course, find a positive side in this - you were able to figure out how bicycles are arranged, and if necessary, you can fix it without any problems. But this knowledge cost the same as a good bike ... In general, the only thing you can do here is to buy really high-quality things from reputable brands.

Back