testtest

Rationalization And Luck Is A Key

BobM

Hellcat
Sometimes further conflict can be avoided by a little thought, foresight, diplomacy....and a bit of luck?
This confrontation made me think deep and quick and thought would share the experience for others future use if they experienced same issues and so could avoid them later on too. Situations, issues can get tense very quickly sometimes and turn into conflicts when others don't understand the other persons thoughts or point of view? The right words matter and so does de-escalation....

Although none of their business and out of the blue, while talking about other things with other people, was aggressively and verbally confronted by a person recently of who appeared to be attempting to start something else irrationally and possibly more threatening by them saying in my face: "Why do you have so many guns?" - "What are you going to do with them all?" - "Why do you need so many?" - "You can't use them all at once!"

Knowing the person and their background fairly well think it helped and after a couple of deep breaths, time and a bit of thought replied: "You have thousands of vinyl records and you enjoy them, like many so many others having various collections of musical instruments, knives, curios, knick-knacks, salt and pepper shakers or what ever, what and why do you or others need your collections for?" - "As long as you take care of them properly and enjoy them what does it matter to you or anyone else and you also obviously can't use all your collection all at once either, can you?" - Their jaw dropped, they looked dumbfounded and the room went dead silent. Conversation quickly changed to more pleasant tones and we all continued for hours afterwards and very thankfully we all had a good time afterwards.

The right words thankfully worked that time, hopefully they work as well the next? - I enjoy happy endings.

Is there any other thoughts and experiences you all out there have that may help others too?

Sometimes further conflict can be avoided by a little thought, foresight, diplomacy....and a bit of luck?
This confrontation made me think deep and quick and thought would share the experience for others future use if they experienced same issues and so could avoid them later on too. Situations, issues can get tense very quickly sometimes and turn into conflicts when others don't understand the other persons thoughts or point of view? The right words matter and so does de-escalation....

Although none of their business and out of the blue, while talking about other things with other people, was aggressively and verbally confronted by a person recently of who appeared to be attempting to start something else irrationally and possibly more threatening by them saying in my face: "Why do you have so many guns?" - "What are you going to do with them all?" - "Why do you need so many?" - "You can't use them all at once!"

Knowing the person and their background fairly well think it helped and after a couple of deep breaths, time and a bit of thought replied: "You have thousands of vinyl records and you enjoy them, like many so many others having various collections of musical instruments, knives, curios, knick-knacks, salt and pepper shakers or what ever, what and why do you or others need your collections for?" - "As long as you take care of them properly and enjoy them what does it matter to you or anyone else and you also obviously can't use all your collection all at once either, can you?" - Their jaw dropped, they looked dumbfounded and the room went dead silent. Conversation quickly changed to more pleasant tones and we all continued for hours afterwards and very thankfully we all had a good time afterwards.

The right words thankfully worked that time, hopefully they work as well the next? - I enjoy happy endings.

Is there any other thoughts and experiences you all out there have that may help others too?
Wow... I’m sure that caught u off guard, but glad you handled it well and didn’t draw it out. It takes two to tango.
Although your situation was different, I’ll say that I avoid any mention of firearms in mixed or suspicious company, and generally always have. Now that I think on it, although it isn’t a taboo subject or anything, talking about guns in my region has always been considered an ‘insiders’ topic and kind of avoided ‘in public’ - along the lines of Don’t discuss your money, or Don’t talk about how much (your) things cost. Indiscrete and a bit uncouth?
It does sound like he was trying to start something. Was everyone hitting the ol’ sauce by chance??

I've compared target shooting to golf many times, to illustrate why going to the range is so fun and relaxing. Almost everything golfers (I'm not one of them) say it takes to be good at it is something it takes to be a good shot. It seems to be effective.

I've compared target shooting to golf many times, to illustrate why going to the range is so fun and relaxing. Almost everything golfers (I'm not one of them) say it takes to be good at it is something it takes to be a good shot. It seems to be effective.
...shooting is very much a sport. It’s an Olympic event too (so’s archery) just not much watched.
Very good comparison, ben..

Wow... I’m sure that caught u off guard, but glad you handled it well and didn’t draw it out. It takes two to tango.
Although your situation was different, I’ll say that I avoid any mention of firearms in mixed or suspicious company, and generally always have. Now that I think on it, although it isn’t a taboo subject or anything, talking about guns in my region has always been considered an ‘insiders’ topic and kind of avoided ‘in public’ - along the lines of Don’t discuss your money, or Don’t talk about how much (your) things cost. Indiscrete and a bit uncouth?
It does sound like he was trying to start something. Was everyone hitting the ol’ sauce by chance??
No, no juice that know of. Yes, did catch me a bit off guard. The guy can be a manipulator though.

Both take a bit of concentration and good judgement. Helps take mind off other things sometimes. Can be relaxing too.

Back