testtest

Recoil Spring: Emissary 1911 45 ACP

1. Can someone tell me the what pound spring the Emissary 1911 45 ACP, 5-in barrel has? After shooting several USPSA matches using both 240 gr Win (~980 fps) and 220 gr Fed Syntech (780 fps), I am getting stove piping with the lighter 220 gr. The RO told me that the rounds that did eject were in "dribbles". My thought is the lighter round does not produce enough recoil to fully eject cases vigorously away from the pistol. Approx 2,000 rds fired.

2. American Handgunner article written by Tom McHale did an accuracy test, which resulted in the Black Hills 200 gr SWC. 1.6" groups at 25-yds. He did not mention any malfunctions..stove piping.

3. Would a lighter spring work better with the 220-gr?

i'm just bumping your thread, and all i can say is that for .45 ACP, i only shoot 230 gr.

and have no issues.....

but this review says nothing about recoil spring issues, with various loads

Accuracy Testing, Five-Shot Groups, 25 Yards

The pistol is accurate enough for many defensive chores, consistent with bullet weights in the typical .45 ACP range of 185 to 230 grains. The Springfield Emissary is a good performer, and it is a nice-looking, even distinctive, handgun that will serve you well for many years.

i know that when i shoot a box or 2 of 45ACP, near the end, my hand gets "tired" and i may have an issue with ejecting, etc.

your hand getting tired near the end as well maybe...???

Per Wolfe Springs- "Springfield 1911 Series pistols use the same springs as Colt 1911 Series Pistols with the exception of the hammer springs in some instances."

CONVENTIONAL RECOIL SPRINGS - .45 ACP

The Springfields with the ILS Integral Locking System (since about 2001) use a slightly heavier hammer spring, maybe 30lb, rather than the Colts, 23 lb .

45 ACP 5" is normally a 16lb recoil spring. Try a 14lb. Maybe also try a Colt standard hammer spring.
(The Colt Gold Cups used to include an additional 14 lb recoil spring for 185/200 gr SWC target loads)

I would also consider a recoil buffer, especially with your 240 gr loads, Wilson offers one.

i'm just bumping your thread, and all i can say is that for .45 ACP, i only shoot 230 gr.

and have no issues.....

but this review says nothing about recoil spring issues, with various loads

Accuracy Testing, Five-Shot Groups, 25 Yards

The pistol is accurate enough for many defensive chores, consistent with bullet weights in the typical .45 ACP range of 185 to 230 grains. The Springfield Emissary is a good performer, and it is a nice-looking, even distinctive, handgun that will serve you well for many years.

i know that when i shoot a box or 2 of 45ACP, near the end, my hand gets "tired" and i may have an issue with ejecting, etc.

your hand getting tired near the end as well maybe...???
Excellent point regarding hand getting tired. The day of the repetitive stove piping, it was sunny, temp in the 90's and no wind nor shade. This has happened in the past with my P229 40-cal after about an hour. I already knew about the fatique issue, but totally forgot to remind myself about the grip. This may be the culprit since I had put probably 500 rounds of the 220-gr down range with no issues. Thanks.

Excellent point regarding hand getting tired. The day of the repetitive stove piping, it was sunny, temp in the 90's and no wind nor shade. This has happened in the past with my P229 40-cal after about an hour. I already knew about the fatique issue, but totally forgot to remind myself about the grip. This may be the culprit since I had put probably 500 rounds of the 220-gr down range with no issues. Thanks.
Shooting it from a bag on the bench will usually tell the story

I spoke with Springfield. The Emissary 1911 45 auto has a 16# spring from the factory. They asked about the magazines...I'm using Wilson, Tripp and Springfield...all good mags, so I do not believe the mags are the issue. The pistol is factory tested with 185 gr to 230 gr. , so the Fed 220 gr Syntech should not be the issue. I believe the comment about the grip (Old_Me) is spot on.
Shooting it from a bag on the bench will usually tell the story
Good point, HayesGreener. Heading to the indoor range today to shoot from the bench. Thanks.

Back