testtest

Recoil Spring Guide Rod Damage?

pullmyfinger

Operator
I have what was essentially a new Springfield 9mm Mod2 subcompact. The thin metal rim of the recoil spring guide rod where it sits and locks against the barrel has taken what looks like a number hard hits in the 300 or so rounds I've put through it. All of the rounds have been well known 115/124/147. Recent CCI Blazer seems a bit hotter than normal but nothing I've run has been marked +P.

Is this normal with this gun? With its thin edge it looks like it would wear down over time but with so little rounds through it I'm pretty surprised. If not what might be wrong? The local gunsmith just said "keep an eye on that".

Last edited:
Can you post a picture? Also have you take the pistol apart for cleaning? If so, when reassembling that guide rod/recoil spring has to sit completely down in the grove. Sometimes, I have talked with folks that have not had their recoil spring flush and in the grove and that could cause an issue with your recoil spring/guid rod.

9BBD511A-CD85-4008-9C67-C02479B54379.jpeg

Can you post a picture? Also have you take the pistol apart for cleaning? If so, when reassembling that guide rod/recoil spring has to sit completely down in the grove. Sometimes, I have talked with folks that have not had their recoil spring flush and in the grove and that could cause an issue with your recoil spring/guid rod.

Yes I've taken it down and cleaned it a few times now and made sure it sat completely in the groove, at least I thought so.

Yes I've taken it down and cleaned it a few times now and made sure it sat completely in the groove, at least I thought so.
Contact Springfield Armory Customer Service, give them the serial number and they will send you a new recoil spring assembly. Same thing happened to my Mod2 45ACP sub compact at around 100 rounds when I first bought it. The replacement never did the same thing.

I’ve also noticed some abnormal wear on the guide rod assembly for my XDS45 during my last cleaning. This is my carry gun. I’ve shot maybe 200/300rds. I’ve contacted Springfield customer service via email and telecom and they’re telling me this is normal for the spring assembly. I still beg to differ. I own or have own many handguns with 5x the amount of rds shot and have never seen damage like this on a spring assembly before. The service agent told me on the phone that I could purchase a new one. Why would I buy a new one if it’s gonna do the same thing. Very disappointed with Springfield on this matter.

Attachments

• 38A799AF-A96A-4BBB-86AC-DF3C3E73F226.jpg
    38A799AF-A96A-4BBB-86AC-DF3C3E73F226.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 166
  • B1204C27-EF03-48E2-B8DB-B9F29031192D.jpg
    B1204C27-EF03-48E2-B8DB-B9F29031192D.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 316
This is “normal” for the XD especially the sub-compact. However, it’s likely they won’t replace it unless it’s messing with the reliability of the gun, and yes they’ll test that if you send it in so just saying “my gun won’t shoot” won’t automatically get you a new assembly. You also said it’s “basically new”. Did you look at the assembly before you bought it? Mine had the same issue @5k and was still running like a champ. They replaced it but I think it was because of the round count more than anything. This is a consumable part just like the striker or ejector. If you want one with a thicker edge Galloway has a SS version for $44. More than worth the $ vs the down time to send it in for warranty work, IMO.

This is “normal” for the XD especially the sub-compact. However, it’s likely they won’t replace it unless it’s messing with the reliability of the gun, and yes they’ll test that if you send it in so just saying “my gun won’t shoot” won’t automatically get you a new assembly. You also said it’s “basically new”. Did you look at the assembly before you bought it? Mine had the same issue @5k and was still running like a champ. They replaced it but I think it was because of the round count more than anything. This is a consumable part just like the striker or ejector. If you want one with a thicker edge Galloway has a SS version for $44. More than worth the $ vs the down time to send it in for warranty work, IMO.
The spring assembly was new at time of purchase (no wear). Just noticed it recently after last range visit once I got home to clean it.
I have seen the spring assembly available through Galloway Precision which IMO looks thicker in those areas. I understand this item sees wear but I’ve never seen wear like this on similar assemblies on my Glocks or Walther P99, or any guide rods for that matter on my other handguns.
Personally, I feel the part on my xds or possibly these assemblies are poorly made and or made of cheaper material. Just my opinion.
The agent for Springfield also told me on the phone that even after 10 rds that the guide rod assembly will show wear...

Back