testtest

Recommendations wanted for red dots with magnifiers that fit Saint Pistols

Antonio

Operator
I wanted a red dot with a magnifier for close quarters with a little distance assistance that can that fit my new Saint Edge Pistol. LPVOs are just too long for it.
I reviewed several items online and in person. What have you used that you recommend?

Large closed red dot:
I want a red dot with a very large view window, protection from rain/dust debris, and solar backup like Holosun's 512 series, but could not find any in stores or online.
The closest thing I found and ordered today is Sightmark's Volta which is half the price. I suspect there may be a quality difference but I'll soon find out. There weren't enough reviews on YouTube for it.

Small flip over or up magnifier:
I like the vertical flip ability for a magnifier like Unity's Fast FTC Eotech G33 Magnifier Mount. But at $200+, it's just a mount without a magnifier.
Holosun's HM3X flip over is $200, but Sightmark's T-3 is again about half price. I could only find and order the 3x instead of the backordered 5x.

Yes, there's all kinds of absurd pricey name brands, but extra money doesn't always mean higher capabilities or even durability. Some YouTube reviews tested the expensive name brands against the lesser well known ones and showed differences were not always easily detectable.

What's your recommended experience?

Attachments

• Red dot with Magnifier.png
    Red dot with Magnifier.png
    788.7 KB · Views: 912
I’m not sure you need magnification. I’m 52, I now wear cheaters to read and this was off hand at 100 yards with a 10.5” pistol with the buffer tube anchored on my cheek with just a Romeo 5.
Clearly I’m jerking the trigger a little but not a horrible group for 100 yards with a Romeo zero’d at 50 yards, off hand and not shouldered with a 10.5” barrel.

For the record this is the target I zero’d with. All the holes I put stickers over and two of the holes in the bullseye were at 50 yards while I was zeroing off a rest. Other than checking function after I finished building it this was the first time I ever shot an AR pistol.

Sightmark is not known for quality....good luck with it. Not a brand I would trust my life with.

Personally, I’d get an Aimpoint PRO on a cantilever mount (and drop the coin on LaRue, American Defense, etc) and look at a Vortex magnifier.

You do get what you pay for in optics.

Get a magnifier. Love my Vortex Spitfire Prism, but I do regret not getting a standard RDS or holo sight so I could use a magnifier, or getting the Spitfire x3. After 100 yards it gets real hard to see lol

Vortex makes great RDS/Magnifier combos. I haven't used Sig optics yet, but they offer a Romeo / Juliet RDS/Magnifier combo for around $225ish iirc, I saw it on Osage County Guns. Considering getting it myself and keeping the Prism for that AR Pistol I want to get.

Get a magnifier. Love my Vortex Spitfire Prism, but I do regret not getting a standard RDS or holo sight so I could use a magnifier, or getting the Spitfire x3. After 100 yards it gets real hard to see lol

Vortex makes great RDS/Magnifier combos. I haven't used Sig optics yet, but they offer a Romeo / Juliet RDS/Magnifier combo for around $225ish iirc, I saw it on Osage County Guns. Considering getting it myself and keeping the Prism for that AR Pistol I want to get.
I would say a magnifier is good out to 200 yards. Further out than that, just get a LPVO.

I’ve run my 2MOA dot out to 400 yards, no magnifier...can ding the full-size silhouette without any difficulty.
If the extent of your ambition was to just be able to hit a full size silhouette your choice in optics/ sighting devices would be drastically different.

If the extent of your ambition was to just be able to hit a full size silhouette your choice in optics/ sighting devices would be drastically different.
True; but if I want to make small groups, I have other rifles. Different tools for different jobs...

(Although, as an aside, the rifle-Colt 6920–will do 2-3” groups at 100 yards pretty easily, and doesn’t have issues regularly ringing the 6” gong at 200 yards...so the optics are definitely capable of the rifle’s abilities)

I was looking mainly at the OP saying he wanted something for close quarters (which indicates a defensive use), and will work at a distance...and an unmagnified red dot (particularly on an AR pistol) will work just fine for those purposes.

True; but if I want to make small groups, I have other rifles. Different tools for different jobs...

(Although, as an aside, the rifle-Colt 6920–will do 2-3” groups at 100 yards pretty easily, and doesn’t have issues regularly ringing the 6” gong at 200 yards...so the optics are definitely capable of the rifle’s abilities)

I was looking mainly at the OP saying he wanted something for close quarters (which indicates a defensive use), and will work at a distance...and an unmagnified red dot (particularly on an AR pistol) will work just fine for those purposes.
That was pretty much my advice to the OP as well.

I've been very happy with a Leupold DeltaPoint Pro on my Saint Victor 300BLK. Very reliable, adjustable brightness, auto off to save the battery, battery can be replaced without removing the optic from the mount, etc.
Lots of great options for you out there....good luck with the search and happy shooting.

I've been very happy with a Leupold DeltaPoint Pro on my Saint Victor 300BLK. Very reliable, adjustable brightness, auto off to save the battery, battery can be replaced without removing the optic from the mount, etc.
Lots of great options for you out there....good luck with the search and happy shooting.
DPP is a great optic.

A Holosun HE508T-RD with the circle dot reticle is what I use and highly recommend! Buy the appropriate riser to mate with whatever magnifier you select and your good.

SIG just dropped a mini magnifier that I want for mine called the Juliet3x Micro Red Dot. https://www.sigsauer.com/juliet3-micro-magnifier.html

You can pick it up in an optics ready bundle with a Romeo-MSR which is a solid lil 2MOA Red Dot optic really cheap right now. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0891TSHWM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_6CY5CMMT9502G26P2R12

2.jpg

Screenshot_20210624-143627_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Good Luck!

Back