testtest

Red Dot for the 1911DS

SA has the AOS plates. They are for sale on their website. I have an RMR on mine and it was easy to install.
IMG_2586.jpeg

I’m currently running a Deltapoint Pro, which I think is the cream of the crop. Also ran a Vortex Venom and a Burris Fastfire 4, which were just ok, but they did the job while I was waiting for the plate.

Pistol red dots are a personal preference. I think the RMR has established itself as the most rugged. But bottom battery not a big fan. I really like the delta point pro I shot on my buddies, great view, but not a fan of the listed 1600 battery life when other options provide more for less. The sig optics aren’t bad but you pay for the good ones like the Romeo 2. For my purposes and preferences, I prefer holosun. Yes I know Chinese grumble grumble grumble, but frankly right now they makes the optic with the durability, features I want with a price generally cheaper then the other ones. Plus the one I am waiting to get next is the EPS which is closed emitter. It’s specific for the gun I will put it on which will get open carried. I suggest checking out sage dynamics read the white paper and figure out what your gonna use the gun for and go from there.

RMR is by far the best red dot on the market. That’s been clearly established for years. When we were testing red dots for our duty guns, we tested delta point, holosun, acro, and trijicon. Only ones that didn’t fail at some point were the acro and the trijicon. Delta point, and holosun held zero and were dependable until the racking of the slide on our boots or the ground and drop test. Both failed within seconds. Deltapoints glass shattered with the 6’ drop test and the electronics in the holosun failed on the drop test.

We didn’t go with the acro because it was a gen one and had to change the battery every 40 hours or something crazy like that. Trijicon survived all the testing and 10k rounds. Now where the delta point shines is under NOD’s. My brother is a SF medic and he said their unit went with delta points due to the outstanding NV capability. I hate to be that guy, but no way I am putting holosun or the Chinese sig red dots on my guns. My newest red dot is a Steiner MPS. Its very nice and I have already got 2500 rounds and the same torture test from above and it has been flawless.

Here is a good watch from Sage Dynamics.

Attachments

• 9E4B7202-C6CA-4DAA-8FB4-02E6B94F678D.jpeg
    9E4B7202-C6CA-4DAA-8FB4-02E6B94F678D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 131
I recently purchased a new 4.25" Prodigy. I generally like to stick with one brand (like using Jeep accessories on Jeeps) so when I ordered my Prodigy I thought it would be good to stick with SA accessories in choosing a red dot, and I ordered the model with the Hex Dragon fly even though it had one feature I hate, no top load battery.
I installed the Hex today. It went on easy enough with the factory plate that came with the Prodigy.
And it looks good and so far seems to work well, but one small thing was that it doesn't come with a lens cover or even a tool to make adjustments with. No big deal but for the money that's inexcusable.
When I look at what comes with it and what doesn't, I don't think I would do it again. It was that keeping the Prodigy all Springfield that made me do it.
No adjustment tool, no lens cover, no solar panel or reticle choice as with most Holosun products, no shake awake feature, a sealing plate to prevent water from intruding the base is an option so none are supplied, and having to remove it to change the battery are all shortcomings in my opinion. But included is a real glass lens, automatic shutdown (after 16 hrs), a sturdy aluminum body, it's waterproof to 3' for 30 minutes (not sure if you don't have the optional sealing plate), and a 100,000 HR battery life.
So all in all it does have some great features, considering what it doesn't have, I feel there are better choices out there in the $250 price range.
Time will tell how it holds up.

DPP on two of my pistols (Legion X5 and S&W Competitor) and a Holosun 407C on my Prodigy.
No issues with any. Range toys so far, not torture tested or competed with.

I will say this.. I hear all the noise about battery life on the DPP. I got 5K plus rounds on mine on my X5. Had the pistol a year now. Battery has never failed me. Today, I swapped it out just because, like I do my car remote control fobs every year….

I like the view width of the DPP. but I have no qualms of my Holosun.

1AB17455-6D3F-4902-8F51-FD50CB1108A8.jpeg

Last edited:
DPP on two of my pistols (Legion X5 and S&W Competitor) and a Holosun 407C on my Prodigy.
No issues with any. Range toys so far, not torture tested or competed with.

I will say this.. I hear all the noise about battery life on the DPP. I got 5K plus rounds on mine on my X5. Had the pistol a year now. Battery has never failed me. Today, I swapped it out just because, like I do my car remote control fobs every year….

I like the view width of the DPP. but I have no qualms of my Holosun.

View attachment 35960
+1 on the DPP. I’ve had a battery in one for two years and it’s going strong. There’s a lot of bad publicity around the DPP but IMO, it’s the best pistol dot out there. You can keep your bottom loading Trijicons with no auto off or shake awake. Not that there’s anything wrong with that on a $600 red dot…

Hammer, how does that Green Dot work for you outdoors…have you had a chance to try it?
When I shot archery… I always like green indoors for target and 3D, but red outdoors as I always found green washed out a bit. I have not shot a pistol RMR style outdoors with a green dot, so was just curious.

Hammer, how does that Green Dot work for you outdoors…have you had a chance to try it?
When I shot archery… I always like green indoors for target and 3D, but red outdoors as I always found green washed out a bit. I have not shot a pistol RMR style outdoors with a green dot, so was just curious.
I shoot almost entirely at outdoor ranges year-round and don't have any issues picking up the dot.

But I get what you're saying - for my dedicated hiking pistol, where it's pretty common that the entire background I would be shooting against has lots of green, I have stuck with a red dot. For more mixed/urban environments, the green works well for me.

I like my dots red and my lasers green. Not that a green laser is much more visible in sunlight than red, but it is a little. Both are useless past about 15 yards in sunlight.

Back