testtest

red dot mounting

the obsrver

Master Class
I have a saint edge rifle, I also have a spitfire 5x red dot. In trying to mount it, I can not get enough eye relief with the red dot slid all the way back up against the rear flip up iron sight, which makes it so it can not flip op anyway. So my first thought was to take off the iron sight. Today I have been looking at a cantilever style riser, thinking something like that might work. I still would not be able to flip the rear iron sight up with a riser running over top of it however.
What have you all done? Just remove the rear sight and call it a day? I have not done that yet, will here in a little bit, so I am hoping that slid back to where the rear sight is I can get enough eye relief. But....... it might be nice to have the red dot up a little bit higher also. Again what has everyone else done in these situations?

Thanks.

5X magnification on a red dot? Why not just get an LPVO ?

The main advantage of a red dot is fast target acquisition. That's why most of them are 1X. Unlimited eye relief.
Because it is a 2-400 yard rifle. I am not going to use it up close. I could use it comfortably at 50 yards and over with this optic, but won't ever be shooting less than 100 yards.
My understanding is I can not use an adjustable gas block in competitive shooting anyway, (I think) so I built it to have fun with at 100-400 yards. Longest range around is 2 1/2 hour drive is out to 600 yards, so it is my intermediate plinker.
Kind of like a pcc with a romeo 5, just a little bigger and able to reach out a little further.

Last edited:
Because it is a 2-400 yard rifle. I am not going to use it up close. I could use it comfortably at 50 yards and over with this optic, but won't ever be shooting less than 100 yards.
My understanding is I can not use an adjustable gas block in competitive shooting anyway, (I think) so I built it to have fun with at 100-400 yards. Longest range around is 2 1/2 hour drive is out to 600 yards, so it is my intermediate plinker.
Kind of like a pcc with a romeo 5, just a little bigger and able to reach out a little further.
I would still put a scope or an LPVO on it.

That's a nice prism scope. I would just take the BUIS off.
That is what I did. It is not perfect but, it is close in eye relief.
I liked the fact that I can mount a 1x on top of it if I want. But as I said I do not plan on shooting it up close anyway. Maybe I will add one someday if I have to much money. LOL. Today I just ordered some more stuff for the other boom sticks, so I guess that day is not today.

I would keep my sight on, I like to have BUIS. I also would run a 1-6 or 1-8 as it would serve you from point blank to 500 yards, easily, especially with the 8x. With the Strike Eagle, once you dial it in each hash mark has you set up to a specified distance, out to 3, 4 or 500 yards.

I would keep my sight on, I like to have BUIS. I also would run a 1-6 or 1-8 as it would serve you from point blank to 500 yards, easily, especially with the 8x. With the Strike Eagle, once you dial it in each hash mark has you set up to a specified distance, out to 3, 4 or 500 yards.
Unless it screws up your eye relief on your scope. Not a lot of practical application for BUIS for a midrange, range rifle. Yeah they're nice, but not as nice as actually being able to use your scope.

Never say never ...

You want in close- 10 -25 yrds and then 25+ - 200 +...
Run back up irons and a lvpo or
BBDF1BB7-9786-453B-A60F-E2E994280BD2.jpeg
621981C1-F9F1-48B1-8E59-6240BB25D513.jpeg
red dot of choice....

attackers whether human or animal will not declare how and what range they engage .. ask me how I know ...
Edit:

pic 1 is 10 yards pi$$ed of hog

pic 2 is 20 charging at 25 yards .. not a good night

Never say never ...

You want in close- 10 -25 yrds and then 25+ - 200 +...
Run back up irons and a lvpo or View attachment 17212View attachment 17213red dot of choice....

attackers whether human or animal will not declare how and what range they engage .. ask me how I know ...
Edit:

pic 1 is 10 yards pi$$ed of hog

pic 2 is 20 charging at 25 yards .. not a good night
I am not using it like that. Like I said I will probably never shoot it under 100 yards. I have other fire arms for situations under 100 yards and they are fun to shoot out to 100-150 yards. This is just something to mess around with at 2-350 yards.

I am not using it like that. Like I said I will probably never shoot it under 100 yards. I have other fire arms for situations under 100 yards and they are fun to shoot out to 100-150 yards. This is just something to mess around with at 2-350 yards.
Until you have it in your hand and life goes haywire...

A rifle, of any caliber, or class is to take down what is needed. When its needed.

if you have a scope have back up irons.. period. If you have irons, run some optic.. this is not 1945.

No offense, but you do have car insurance for your vehicle??? Same reason applies on your weapon

A rifle, of any caliber, or class is to take down what is needed. When its needed.

if you have a scope have back up irons.. period. If you have irons, run some optic.. this is not 1945.

No offense, but you do have car insurance for your vehicle??? Same reason applies on your weapon
Right, but you were not shooting hogs with a 7mm mag or a 6,5 creedmore were you? Do you take your rifle with a 14x on it to go hunting hogs? Some things are built for certain things, that is just how it is. When it comes to midrange fire arms, that can be used up close and out to 300 yards (or a little more), well just watch the video I posted, I can mount a rmr optic on top of it. So yeah, I think I can engage whatever I desire, very quickly from 20 to 300 plus yards. I do not need to focus a scope to do it either.

I disagree. I have range guns that will never be used in emergency situations. I lost count of how many scoped deer rifles I have that either don’t have irons or don’t co-witness.

I disagree. I have range guns that will never be used in emergency situations. I lost count of how many scoped deer rifles I have that either don’t have irons or don’t co-witness.
I thought it was just me there for a minute. I guess I grew up with pretty much every fire arm had it's purpose. Some were for deer, elk and some were for fox, coyote, some were for bird shot and some were for slugs, some were for gophers and small varmits. Even my bb gun has it's purpose. Never gave it much thought until last night and this thread.
You don't cut a steak with a butter knife and a steak knife stinks at spreading butter, that is my thought.

Unless it screws up your eye relief on your scope. Not a lot of practical application for BUIS for a midrange, range rifle. Yeah they're nice, but not as nice as actually being able to use your scope.

I use them for the purpose of something unforeseen happening to my scope, I run QD mount on my AR and I can take my scope off and flip my sights up and still be “in the fight” or “hunt” whichever have you.

I use them for the purpose of something unforeseen happening to my scope, I run QD mount on my AR and I can take my scope off and flip my sights up and still be “in the fight” or “hunt” whichever have you.
I thought about that, doing a QD and putting the flip up in front of the prism. I might try it sometime and see it I can get it the irons sighted in that way. I am still in the thinking/ playing with it mode and seeing what works and what doesn't/ getting it set up mode.

Reference to this in the initial post as a red dot and not as a prism scope caused a little unnecessary confusion for some I believe. I am a firm believer in iron sights, but the great thing about a prism is the etched reticle and the fact that it'll always be there regardless of batteries, well unless it falls off. The other plus with prisms is the adjustable diopter, it allows the shooter to dial the scope perfectly to your eye and it's imperative that you make those fine adjustments, especially with a 5x prism.

Reference to this in the initial post as a red dot and not as a prism scope caused a little unnecessary confusion for some I believe. I am a firm believer in iron sights, but the great thing about a prism is the etched reticle and the fact that it'll always be there regardless of batteries, well unless it falls off. The other plus with prisms is the adjustable diopter, it allows the shooter to dial the scope perfectly to your eye and it's imperative that you make those fine adjustments, especially with a 5x prism.
Yeah after Bob said nice prism, I thought about the fact I could have been more specific. Sorry about that guys.

Back