testtest

Red Dots and pistols. I have seen the light.

KillerFord1977

SAINT
Founding Member
Literally !

Was never a fan of an RDS on a pistol. Still not my preferred sight plane for pistol shooting. Shot prob 5 pistols with an RDS at the range with a buddies gun years past. Never really sold on the idea and was merely meh on the whole concept. Did better with my irons. Loved my RDS for AR’s.

Well, all the changed yesterday with SimonRL at a 15 yard -25 yard friendly competition shooting. He had RDS- holosuns. i had Irons.

With my eyes, the 20 yrd target color was hard for me with my left eye dominance , rt hand with pistols. Was alway “decent” at 25 yrd targets, never like I am at 7-10 yrds. Attributed that to my eyes and left eye dominance.
Simon slapped some Black splatter 4” circles on the target and down it went to 25 yards.

Simon had me beat with hits on bull at 25yrds. Non stop. Suggested I try his RDS gun. My splatter shotgun hits effect with irons become tight groups on bull at that range 😳😳😳. Consistent hits on bull at 25 yrds… what, wait, is an RDS working for me,, oh poop… My thought train went out the window 😆

Training and practice took over. I hit Bulls with his RDS, I had splatter shotgun effect with my irons at 25 yrds. 7-15 yrds, bulls with my irons non stop. Pushed to 20+ yrds w irons, no F’ing way.

So, I’ll buy a Holosun next week for my Sig M17 pistol w plate and begrudgingly work on a love affair for an RDS on pistols 😬😬😬

Literally !

Was never a fan of an RDS on a pistol. Still not my preferred sight plane for pistol shooting. Shot prob 5 pistols with an RDS at the range with a buddies gun years past. Never really sold on the idea and was merely meh on the whole concept. Did better with my irons. Loved my RDS for AR’s.

Well, all the changed yesterday with SimonRL at a 15 yard -25 yard friendly competition shooting. He had RDS- holosuns. i had Irons.

With my eyes, the 20 yrd target color was hard for me with my left eye dominance , rt hand with pistols. Was alway “decent” at 25 yrd targets, never like I am at 7-10 yrds. Attributed that to my eyes and left eye dominance.
Simon slapped some Black splatter 4” circles on the target and down it went to 25 yards.

Simon had me beat with hits on bull at 25yrds. Non stop. Suggested I try his RDS gun. My splatter shotgun hits effect with irons become tight groups on bull at that range 😳😳😳. Consistent hits on bull at 25 yrds… what, wait, is an RDS working for me,, oh poop… My thought train went out the window 😆

Training and practice took over. I hit Bulls with his RDS, I had splatter shotgun effect with my irons at 25 yrds. 7-15 yrds, bulls with my irons non stop. Pushed to 20+ yrds w irons, no F’ing way.

So, I’ll buy a Holosun next week for my Sig M17 pistol w plate and begrudgingly work on a love affair for an RDS on pistols 😬😬😬
Sounds real familiar all around from not liking RDS to left eye dominant but shooting right handed.

I have been thinking on RDS lately.

Literally !

1634222068907.jpeg

Seriously, I always used fixed sites on my guns, my Hellcat came with the WASP dot installed, I have tried and tried to use it but to no avail, I finally removed it and went back to the fixed sights, hope the RDS works for you
I’m not going all RDS, but will start with 1 sight and see how I fair. Some pistols are just going to have to stay fixed sights. I only have 2 pistols with a plate option, so the other 4000000 fixed sight pistols I own cannot be converted.

I don't want a red dot on my carry gun. It is small and no frills. Slips into and out of my pocket easily. I fear that a red dot mounted on top would snag on something as I'm pulling it out of my pocket.

If I ever carry IWB I might consider a red dot.

I have a red dot on my rifle, but I've never been able to figure out how to use it.

Definitely agree that red dot and pocket carry doesn’t work and in reality if you’re going to engage with your pocket gun you’re probably going to be point aiming anyway. If you’re carrying IWB, red dot and plenty of practice is a lethal combination. Mind you, Killer Ford’s M17 with iron sights will definitely ruin a bad guys day.

It’s like anything. Another tool. And you should strive to be competent with either. I have about 6 red dots. I love them on shotguns and rifles. I like them on handguns. Inside 25 yards iron sights are lethal too and on a carry gun it’s what I like.

I believe the greatest issue that we have is the absence of a stationary point of reference on the sight. I put one on the back of the RDS so that the alignment comes to me more naturally, or as one would with irons.
To facilitate use in adverse conditions I put a tritium vial on the back (.9x2.5).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Signal...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
This allows me to orient the firearm then sight picture more rapidly.
I use this glue as it dries clear and has some flexible properties.
Dap 00155 0.85 Oz RapidFuse Fast Curing All Purpose Adhesive https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F74M13W/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_9354R7DF8VRX53SB3KNG

This addition also adds another level of redundancy.

img_eggsif_1394425513370489447.jpg

You rarely get a red dot stationary and certainly under pressure it’s not going to happen. You have to train with movement so that you are comfortable knowing that where the dot is in that split second of time is where the round is going. That was the ah-ha moment for me when I started doing tactical training with one. I didn’t have to get the dot on one spot on the bad guy and hold it I just had to be cognizant of that split second when the dot was where it needed to be.

Same thing at the range at low ready. Gun comes up, dot hits that point and bang. If I’m trying to shoot a fly off his shoulder different story. But as I said to Killer Ford yesterday, if a bad guy breaks into my house and he’s not wearing a 4in splatterburst target on his chest, I’m in trouble!

You rarely get a red dot stationary and certainly under pressure it’s not going to happen. You have to train with movement so that you are comfortable knowing that where the dot is in that split second of time is where the round is going. That was the ah-ha moment for me when I started doing tactical training with one. I didn’t have to get the dot on one spot on the bad guy and hold it I just had to be cognizant of that split second when the dot was where it needed to be.

Same thing at the range at low ready. Gun comes up, dot hits that point and bang. If I’m trying to shoot a fly off his shoulder different story. But as I said to Killer Ford yesterday, if a bad guy breaks into my house and he’s not wearing a 4in splatterburst target on his chest, I’m in trouble!
I used to aim then look, but became faster looking then aiming. It got me too focus on target before firearm sight(s) were aligned. I do this with irons and rds. Depending on scopes and distance I can do the same. Before wrist breakage I shot left hand left eye. My wrist has never fully healed since '87 (New Years Day too be exact) and after that it's been right hand and mostly left eye, but can used either or both eyes focused ( not 1 eye closed). Depending on pain level depends on the way (style) I shoot. I've tried shooting left handed (supported and non), but it's a no go! Even on a gun rest my wrist won't take the recoil. Good thing for being ambidextrous ( shooting, baseball and tennis anyway), but beyond that.......NO!

Yep,
Distance shooting against you. I’m using an RDS.

Carry gun daily, Im staying open sight
Definitely agree that red dot and pocket carry doesn’t work and in reality if you’re going to engage with your pocket gun you’re probably going to be point aiming anyway. If you’re carrying IWB, red dot and plenty of practice is a lethal combination. Mind you, Killer Ford’s M17 with iron sights will definitely ruin a bad guys day

Back