testtest

Red or Green?

After all the TV and Movies I feel the laser reaction is like this: Green laser, "What's that?"
Red laser, "Oh S...!!!!!"
Now my least favorite color in the whole world is GREEN! But I have a sight that has both
Red and Green lasers on it. I have to say that the Green reflection is substantially brighter
than the Red. Maybe my eyes are tuned more to 530nm.....
All that said I do know that there are situations where the Red laser is better. Overall I have
to go with the green.

I would have to say that both rdd and green will don't wreck your night vision. I do like Crimson Trace and the red and the Old Faithful standard, but I would have to say that simply by virtue of the color that is used in these sights is greater suited for fast target aquisition.

I have read that the human eye(s) can pick up the color green better than any other color. It’s harder to produce green in laser due to the use of more mirrors or diodes, or something like that. It’s why green is more expensive then red which is cheaper to produce in laser format. They are trying to get the cost of green down to that of red with new technology. Given the choice, if the costs were close, I’d select green. I have a green laser side saddle on my Mossberg shockwave 590M, and it lights up the room when dark. More than the red lasers I have on some of my pistols.
Here’s a link from Crimson Trace describing their red & green laser products.

Last edited:
Not a fan of lasers. It tells the bad guy where you are.
However... The previous post are valid. The green is the newer technology. Yes, green is easier for the human eye to pick up than the red. I use green reticle optics for faster sight acquisition. No matter what, it is in my humble opinion that you look at both color lasers and determine what best works for you. There are some seriously nice lasers and optics with red illumination. We all have different opinions, and sometimes they can be biased. What works for me may not be suitable for you. Hit your local gun range try them out and make an educated decision based on your needs for the laser.

I am partially color blind and I changed all my Springfield's fiber optic sights to green to help these aging eyes.
I can't speak for lasers, because I have none, but green helps me pick up the sights faster.
I'm thinking about doing the exact thing for the same reason (color blind), using the extra fiber optic mat'l that comes with the pistol. Hopefully I won't waste the mat'l in the process, lol. Picking up the red is difficult for me at times also.

I'm thinking about doing the exact thing for the same reason (color blind), using the extra fiber optic mat'l that comes with the pistol. Hopefully I won't waste the mat'l in the process, lol. Picking up the red is difficult for me at times also.
It's really easy to do. Use fingernail clippers to cut your fiberoptic tube to your desired length. Then use a stick match to heat the ends to the desired size. Useing a match enables you to control how much heat is applied better than a lighter.

So for me personally I bought the Veridian C5 laser/light combo with green the laser. Took it to the range on my Ruger SR9C. At approximately 15 yards on the outdoor range stall I could barely see the laser at all. When I switched to my red laser I had no problems. Now that may be due to needing a new battery 🔋. Now I’m considering ordering another Veridian C5 for my Hellcat but can’t decide between red or green.

^ Something is definitely not right, there.

As I noted above, per John "Chappy" Chapman, at the same power output, a green laser should be 3x as visible as red (this is a translation of "throw," or the distance through which the laser is visible).

Chappy's credentials as an SME includes both Steiner (Steiner's YouTube Channel features Chappy taking the viewer through their various eOptics, including the DBAL, OTAL, etc.) and B.E. Meyers ( http://soldiersystems.net/2017/02/2...-mawl-brand-ambassador-and-certified-trainer/ - think MWAL).

Empirically, from personal experience with lasers, green is much more visible than red. Something's not right, with the unit you received.

Last edited:
So for me personally I bought the Veridian C5 laser/light combo with green the laser. Took it to the range on my Ruger SR9C. At approximately 15 yards on the outdoor range stall I could barely see the laser at all. When I switched to my red laser I had no problems. Now that may be due to needing a new battery 🔋. Now I’m considering ordering another Veridian C5 for my Hellcat but can’t decide between red or green.
Have you considered LaserMax @ https://www.lasermax.com
It might be an option?

It's really easy to do. Use fingernail clippers to cut your fiberoptic tube to your desired length. Then use a stick match to heat the ends to the desired size. Useing a match enables you to control how much heat is applied better than a lighter.
Success! lol. Didn't want to make an 8 mile round trip for stick matches, so got impatient and used a small Bic lighter. Did the XD Mod2, then the XDS. Took 2 tries to get the XDS done, but luckily had enough fiber optic mat'l on hand that came with the pistols. Did a dry-run looksee on the back porch, and the front sight is much brighter and easier to see now.

Last edited:
Back