testtest

Reducing recoil from a shotgun

With arthritis in both my and my wifes shoulders this was a huge need for us. We went with Proport from Magnaport which is only a few miles away. Then we added Blackhawk Compstock recoil reduction. The result is simply amazing.

With arthritis in both my and my wifes shoulders this was a huge need for us. We went with Proport from Magnaport which is only a few miles away. Then we added Blackhawk Compstock recoil reduction. The result is simply amazing.

Magnaport does some great work.

Like I said in a previous post, not a shotgunner, but a good article, muzzle brake would look cool though. Thanks for posting.

Good article with thought provoking ideas. I get the muzzle brakes, heavier stocks, auto-loader, low-recoil loads, and smaller gauge recommendations, but what about using bird shot vs. buckshot or slugs? Some are recommending this as an alternative. What are your thoughts?

Good article with thought provoking ideas. I get the muzzle brakes, heavier stocks, auto-loader, low-recoil loads, and smaller gauge recommendations, but what about using bird shot vs. buckshot or slugs? Some are recommending this as an alternative. What are your thoughts?

The first thing I would do is step down in gauge. 12<20. If a shotgun was one of my defense weapons birdshot would not be my choice of load. I’m well aware at close range to the face and even at center mass it would not be a good day but why chance birdshot over buckshot or slug in a defensive weapon. 20ga with some buckshot would be devastating as would slugs out of a 20ga. .410, minus the price in both of those options would be a good choice over birdshot.

The first thing I would do is step down in gauge. 12<20. If a shotgun was one of my defense weapons birdshot would not be my choice of load. I’m well aware at close range to the face and even at center mass it would not be a good day but why chance birdshot over buckshot or slug in a defensive weapon. 20ga with some buckshot would be devastating as would slugs out of a 20ga. .410, minus the price in both of those options would be a good choice over birdshot.
My favorite was a 20-gauge 4-shot magnum shell. It worked well for squirrels, rabbits, and predators.

One thing about going to a 20 gauge—they are usually built on a smaller, and therefore lighter, receiver, and will defeat the purpose, as weight soaks up recoil.

My suggestions:

Go semi over pump, use reduced recoil buckshot loads, shorten the stock and put a good recoil pad on it, and if necessary look into mercury recoil reducers (they really do work!). Porting helps, too.

And...there’s always the .410...a 3”, 5 pellet OOO load at 1300 fps is gonna leave a mark.

Back