testtest

Reflex Sight Vs Red Dot Sight: Truth You Need To Know

^ I'm in vision science - the nerdy basic science part of that 🤓- and yes, there's some actual, quantifiable differences - but......

You can read all day long but until you actual get to look through one and use it will you know if it works for you and be able to say, "this is pretty cool."

^ This is really both the long and short of it. (y)

Simply because of the objective and subjective differences in how each of us "sees" as a unique person, really, the only way to truly be able to tell if one or another is better/worse for you is to get your eyes behind it.

And this isn't just holding the sight in your hand (hopefully at least extended to the approximate distance at which you'll be looking through the optic) at the store, looking across the building - much like test-driving a car, for many, it's not until you actually get out on the road that the more subtle differences come to-light. A more experienced driver may be able to sit in a car on the showroom floor and be able to discern certain "fit" issues: just as more experienced shooters can often fondle a gun off the display case at their LGS -if not also dry-fire it- and at least have some idea of how their first live shot may print downrange. But particularly for those who lack that base of experience and knowledge, until they actually are shooting with that sight, much of it can remain a mystery, no matter how in-depth the explanations of printed words or in video.

I tell folks to not be afraid of asking other shooters at the rate or in classes about their gear, and to even see if they'd be willing to let you take a few shots from it - particularly if you offer to pay for the ammo or trade for time/rounds on your gun.

Getting hands-on (er...eyes behind?) is really the best way. :)

I was thinking EoTech and wanted to get the same type of sight that is used in videogames like Call of Duty and Battlefield but apparently they were out of stock at the time.

So I settled for an Aimpoint PRO and so far, I do like the big lens on it and the fact that it pretty easy to mount and dismount with no tools needed.

I always said I’d never put an optic on a handgun however after purchasing my XDM Elite 10mm that has the slide ready to accept one I started looking into the available options, I have to say I wasn’t impressed with any of them. To many negatives and outrageously expensive.
All that being said after shooting the gun with supplied sights I have no need for an optic.

I always said I’d never put an optic on a handgun however after purchasing my XDM Elite 10mm that has the slide ready to accept one I started looking into the available options, I have to say I wasn’t impressed with any of them. To many negatives and outrageously expensive.
All that being said after shooting the gun with supplied sights I have no need for an optic.
For under $100 not much on quality, but around $200-250 there is plenty especially with sales this time of year!

I did a lot of research on all the different makes and models, I’ll wait a year or two to let them get better and the prices come down and revisit them again.
The venom has been better then the viper and I've had both for a long time. Trijicon is pricey, but do have 2 of them. Sig, JP, Crimson Trace and 1 other I don't remember are all about the same price point and have been good all around optics. I think the SA line are decent prices, but don't know if still on sale?

The venom has been better then the viper and I've had both for a long time. Trijicon is pricey, but do have 2 of them. Sig, JP, Crimson Trace and 1 other I don't remember are all about the same price point and have been good all around optics. I think the SA line are decent prices, but don't know if still on sale?
Read reviews on them all, unfortunately the Hex Models offered by Springfield don’t have very good reviews.

I posted that for this very reason. Some folks see some colors differently. The choices in gun sights are typically red, green, white, and amber (or yellow). I do not know the scientific or physiologic reasons for this but folks have different needs.
One of the “advantages” of green dots is that there is a broader frequency of light that makes up green than red, which in turn makes green easier to see for the average person. I prefer a green dot to a red dot and haven’t had any issues acquiring a target outside, but that’s me. Up until recently the power needed to generate a green dot was significantly higher than a red dot making them more expensive and harder to find. Fortunately, that has changed hence the increased availability.

Update....Sportsman's Warehouse has Romeo 0 for $169.99.
Good price point however after watching a couple reviews there are to many negatives.
I appreciate the update.
The other concern/issue I have is Springfield only offers “for free”
An attachment plate for 4 red dot sights. For now this is an awesome handgun as it is. I’ll wait and continue to watch for improvement’s to be made to what’s on the market and prices to come down.

I've learned about prism sights now. Thank you very much! Do you know how to enlarge or reduce the size of the dot? You can have greater flexibility with a rifle that has a lengthy pic rail. For the test, use your thumb. If you place your thumb close to your eye, it will obstruct even more of your vision (larger). Slowly pull your thumb away from your eye, and it will gradually shrink, allowing you to see more. The dot, on the other hand, never changes size and always covers less or more at the given moa (at 100 yards). At arms length, persons with longer arms will see the dot as smaller than those with shorter arms. With only one sight, the sight radius is insane. I'm unable to provide precise information on the distance from the eye where the dot (moa) changes.
You can't enlarge the dot only adjust the brightness. Dot size is only offered by the manufacturer in various optics. By moving the dot further from the eye it gives an illusion that's larger, but it will only be listed size at a specified distance from the eye. Brightness can also give the illusion of being larger. If you are installing a dot on an AR or any other long gun the dot covers up more area at longer distances. By adding a magnifier it will in turn reduce the coverage. Example: A 2moa covers 2" at 100 yards, but at 300 it covers 6". With a 3X magnifier it should only cover 2" at 300 yards. Wealth of knowledge on this site! Dive in, enjoy and welcome!

I wear glasses for nearsightedness and I have astigmatism... the reason I prefer an Aimpoint or an EOTech is that i can see both the reticle and the target clearly while wearing glasses. I like a 2 moa dot in my Aimpoint, and the EOTech reticle is fast & precise.

I do not like a reflex sight.

Attachments

• IMG_8446.JPG
    IMG_8446.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_8447.JPG
    IMG_8447.JPG
    487.4 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Back