testtest

Reload manuals and cartridge info

Speaking of reloading manuals at an estate sale I picked up a Speer #1 reloading manual.
I was surprised that there was very few loads for each cartridge.
Well, considering it was written around mid 50's or so, it ain't likely to have too many reloader recipes. Back in that day there was probably only a dozen or so powders available to the reloader market. And probably not many other components either.

If you found an original Speer #1 and not a reprint at an estate sale ..... son, you found a good-un !!!

As an aside to the above post ..... I recently got back into some reloading after a few years of being away, during which time I either sold, gave away or watched most of my equipment rust and/or corrode away to uselessness. But when I decided to get back into it enough to keep myself in range/practice ammo, I began buying up some new stuff.

One of my criteria for the new stuff was being able to keep it compact and easily organized, especially in manuals/books. Even though there is a lot of really good reading and valuable info in most manuals, over the many years previously when I was loading, I had many and read/re-read them all several times. So now, I typically buy the "Loadbooks" for each caliber I'm going to load for.

They are a very simple but informative loading manual that shows many options for each cartridge, but only that cartridge in each book. If you're in the market for manuals, take a look at "Loadbooks USA".

As an aside to the above post ..... I recently got back into some reloading after a few years of being away, during which time I either sold, gave away or watched most of my equipment rust and/or corrode away to uselessness. But when I decided to get back into it enough to keep myself in range/practice ammo, I began buying up some new stuff.

One of my criteria for the new stuff was being able to keep it compact and easily organized, especially in manuals/books. Even though there is a lot of really good reading and valuable info in most manuals, over the many years previously when I was loading, I had many and read/re-read them all several times. So now, I typically buy the "Loadbooks" for each caliber I'm going to load for.

They are a very simple but informative loading manual that shows many options for each cartridge, but only that cartridge in each book. If you're in the market for manuals, take a look at "Loadbooks USA".
Speer, Lehigh, Nosler and maybe a few more are the only bullet manufacturers that give FREE load data online. Alliant and Western Powders give free online data for their powders along with Hodgdon. Berger gives limited data. VihtaVouri will list Lapua bullets along with, now companied with Berger data. Hornady, if you pay the price of the load data book will give you access too all of their same book data. You can print off whatever page you need for your specific bullet per cartridge, but without the (? $20) for Hornady it will cost you (?) $1.99 I think per cartridge/bullet weight selected.

I started reloading about 1958 and there was not a great choice of bullets or powders. Also the Speer manual is original
and in pristine condition. And the price was $1. It pays to check out Estate sales you never know what you will run across!

I started reloading about 1958 and there was not a great choice of bullets or powders. Also the Speer manual is original
and in pristine condition. And the price was $1. It pays to check out Estate sales you never know what you will run across!
You got a good 'un then. Hang on to that for posterity !!! (y)(y)(y)

I took a couple of Photos of Speer #1 manual and ALL the info. for the .308 Win. As you can see there was not much
in the way of powder or bullets.

Attachments

• DSCN2004.JPG
    DSCN2004.JPG
    219.5 KB · Views: 149
  • DSCN2005.JPG
    DSCN2005.JPG
    226.7 KB · Views: 143
Back