testtest

Reloading ammunition in 10 easy steps.

KLGunner

Staff member
So reloading ammunition is relatively new to me and spending the money on factory loads is just getting old. So I’m starting to get into the process of reloading. I found this article on doing it in 10 easy steps. Now I’m buying all the hand tools for the job, so I know it’s gonna take a lot more then 10 steps. But when your looking for a solid process to follow anything helps.

Good link, it costs more up front when you have to buy everything, but, when you start making your own, the cost to shoot will come down more then you think, then the savings begin, plus it’s a fun hobby.

Good link, it costs more up front when you have to buy everything, but, when you start making your own, the cost to shoot will come down more then you think, then the savings begin, plus it’s a fun hobby.
I bought a deprimer and started depriming all the brass I have saved up so far. I actually really enjoyed it. Very relaxing to do while watching tv at night. Now I have to find a tumbler to clean and polish all those rounds.

Nice basic overview of the process with enough warnings and cautions to remind us all that while reloading cartridges CAN be done safely, there are numerous steps along the way that can get one into trouble in a hurry. Don't take shortcuts! Never assume anything!

So reloading ammunition is relatively new to me and spending the money on factory loads is just getting old. So I’m starting to get into the process of reloading. I found this article on doing it in 10 easy steps. Now I’m buying all the hand tools for the job, so I know it’s gonna take a lot more then 10 steps. But when your looking for a solid process to follow anything helps.

So what is a close estimate of the start up cost to start reloading?

This deluxe kit, which contains more than you need to get started, but will end up buying in months, is on sale for about $416. Add dies for $50, powder for $30, primers...if you can find them...$45 for 1000. This kit qualifies you for 500 free bullets of your choice from a Hornady...good quality bullets.
Yes, you can spend more, and you can spend less...but if I was starting out fresh this is how I’d proceed.
The rest will come in time...as your skill develops, and as you add calibers.

He fueling his Ruger 6.5 creed, maybe more? A single stage is the less expensive way to start. Hand prime, remove the decapping pin from the sizer, electronic/beam scale, trimmer and a funnel. I will tell you from experience DO NOT get the Hornady trimmer($75 worth) it's a trimmer that doesn't cut square and several review will confirm this! There could be a select few that actually get a good 1?

You can also sometimes find stuff used, and save some money. Just have consider the savings vs the condition. Some items I want new. And you cannot return used and get no warranty on used equipment. But it is really hard to break a Rock Chucker or does, and savings on a used one could pay for other items you want.

Back