testtest

Reloading: Are Classic Powders Still Relevant?

I still reload with imr's in 4198, 4895, 4320, 4350 and 4831. Only 1 in the enduron line (7977). I also have 7828ssc. I shoot in 0-110* without any issues for almost 40 years. It was about 8 years ago before I bought anything other than imr for rifles. I have used and been using 296 and unique in 44mag for decades.

I only reload for handguns and being older, am somewhat resistant to new powders. I buy in 8 lb. kegs and only buy what I know works. I've been using Winchester Superlite (WSL) recently after pulling it out of my cabinet. It's not been made in approximately 30 years.

Out of curiosity, what is the shelf-life on most powders? I would have guess it was less than 30 years.

I'm also guessing its like a lot of things that 75 year old rules of thumb still are floating around that confuse the situation. Ideas like old powders loose their power and become unreliable.

Out of curiosity, what is the shelf-life on most powders? I would have guess it was less than 30 years.

I'm also guessing its like a lot of things that 75 year old rules of thumb still are floating around that confuse the situation. Ideas like old powders loose their power and become unreliable.
Many of things can happen to powder over years. How you store it is key! I've used an open can from 25 years (time 1st opened to can empty). It does degrade and can be less potent. It's carbon based, so like with anything being carbon based brakes down and degrades. Safe reloading practices are and should always be in place! Humidity with celulous and/or nitros chemical are not compatible along with high heat storage.

The important thing is to make sure the container is tightly closed. I can't answer for all powders, but I have old powders that seem to be fresh despite age. I got several cans from an estate that were old and they were fine as well. In the case of my WSL, I did go through multiple kegs of other powder before now returning to this. Newer manuals have dropped it and older ones have some limited data, but it was primarily listed for 9mm and .45 acp.

Storage is the key. Not too hot not too cold. In others words don't keep it in the attic where its 125° in summer and -40 in the winter. A good 50°-70° year round with tightly closed cap preferably in an ammo can to avoid changes in humidity as well.

The important thing is to make sure the container is tightly closed. I can't answer for all powders, but I have old powders that seem to be fresh despite age. I got several cans from an estate that were old and they were fine as well. In the case of my WSL, I did go through multiple kegs of other powder before now returning to this. Newer manuals have dropped it and older ones have some limited data, but it was primarily listed for 9mm and .45 acp.
I’m curious what your loads for these two calibers were/are. I purchased some WSL during the O’bama reign when you grabbed whatever you could find. However, I’ve yet to use any of it. My plan was to purpose it for the 9mm and 45 ACP, which were my go to competition guns. I’m now working my way through all the eclectic powders I’ve accumulated.

Here are 2 pages from a Winchester Reloading manual. I'd have to check my scale to see what I'm using for 9 and .45, but I did use these as a guide. I found the reloading manual by doing an Internet search. It's the 15th edition, 1997.
.45 load.jpeg
9mm load.jpeg

Back