testtest

Reloading Bench: The Classic 30-30 Winchester

I love shooting my Winchester 94 30-30.

I couldn't believe the high price they are demanding for a new model at Bass Pro who was selling them for almost $1300.00 on sale. 😳

The article mentions that these type of guns aren't particularly attractive anymore but I totally disagree on this and I feel a classic lever gun is one of the best looking style of guns to be ever produced.

I couldn't believe the high price they are demanding for a new model at Bass Pro who was selling them for almost $1300.00 on sale. 😳

The article mentions that these type of guns aren't particularly attractive anymore but I totally disagree on this and I feel a classic lever gun is one of the best looking style of guns to be ever produced.
I've got to agree with this. A nice mod94 is about as classic as you can get. That rifle definitely earned it's place in history and in my heart and my safe. Not only for the classic looks, but for the ultimate utility of it.

The wife bought me a mod 94 for our 1st anniversary ..... 51 yrs ago. It still commands a prime slot in my safe even though it doesn't get used much for hunting anymore.

regards,
jumpinjoe

The manufacturers are attempting to make lever guns "attractive" by turning them into something "Tacticool". I cringe at the evolution of the classic lever gun into something with picatinny rails and dark laminate stocks. I realize it's getting harder to find the old classics at reasonable prices, but I just can't bring myself to pay north of a Grand for something I find just plain ugly. Even if it is wood, the wood to metal fit is shoddy.

I just passed on some of my old timers to a couple nephews that still live and ranch in Montana. It was important that those firearms went to a good home.

'94 Winchester, 30 WCF, made in 1919
'94 Winchester, 25-35 WCF, made in 1949
'93 Marlin, 38-55, made in 1935
99 Savage Takedown, 250-3000, made in 1930

One elk and several deer have fallen to the 30-30, the rest have gotten their share of deer and Antelope. Light, handy, and elegant from honest wear in the saddle scabbard.

Regards,
Bill

I never got into reloading but I do love my 30-30 Marlin 336. Years ago I had a Winchester 94 and sold it because I was hurting for money. I will not sell the Marlin.

Here in Illinois , we are not allowed to hunt deer with a rifle but we are allowed to hunt groundhogs ( woodchucks ) and coyotes with one. Back when I could still hunt , I have taken several groundhogs with my thurty-thurty .

Back