testtest

Reloading in a Gunfight: Basic Skills You Need

Just reviewed the video. I am a retired police officer and a certified firearms instructor (handgun, shotgun, police service rifle, subgun) in several states and instruct law enforcement recruits and conduct in-service firearms training for active officers. I also conduct firearm certifications for retired police officers under HR 218. While the presenter does, in fact, point out the need for speed in conducting magazine exchanges, I wholeheartedly disagree with how he is conducting the reloads. NEVER, NEVER take your eye off of the threat and NEVER, NEVER point your firearm up in the air during a mag exchange as was shown in the video. Bring your handgun straight back close to your body while keeping it pointed at the threat at all times and conduct your exchange. Magazines are closer to exchange and you can use your index finger to find the mag well if necessary. After exchange bring handgun back out towards the threat.

This is the way I was taught by my instructor. Current LEO, ex Marine Corps firearms instructor, current LEO instructor/certification.

NEVER, NEVER take your eye off of the threat and NEVER, NEVER point your firearm up in the air during a mag exchange as was shown in the video.

Never? Really? Never is a rather unyielding term which I often find problematic.

Its sounds to me as if you are assigning some "drama" that is unnecessary. Lets be serious, a human being will likely "take his eyes" of a threat many many many times during a confrontation. You self orient constantly, you scan for other threats, hazards within the scene, you survey the scene, you take note of other movement, other people, avenues of escape, obstacles on the ground, condition and nature of terrain, innocent bystanders, potential combatants, suitable cover, avenues to advance, avenues to flank, avenues retreat, good guys arriving, more bad guys arriving... and the list goes on and on and on. This idea that I need to keep my eyes locked/trained on a threat is something every easily blown out of proportion. It sounds tactical and stuff but upon examination, the assertion is in need to further context. If a person wants to keep their eyes laser locked on a threat.. go ahead, but I wont

Common sense dictates that a person keep up what is going on with a presumed danger. It doesn't mean that you do not do anything else. If taking your eyes off of a threat for a brief instant means that you can perform a mag change in a more assured manner, that is simply good common sense. If pointing a weapon upwards is your method for performing a mag change, its certainly not a foreign concept and is considered by many to be efficient, safe and ergonomic. Whether or not your win or lose a gunfight is not likely to hinge upon where your muzzle is pointing during a reload.

Never? Really? Never is a rather unyielding term which I often find problematic.

Its sounds to me as if you are assigning some "drama" that is unnecessary. Lets be serious, a human being will likely "take his eyes" of a threat many many many times during a confrontation. You self orient constantly, you scan for other threats, hazards within the scene, you survey the scene, you take note of other movement, other people, avenues of escape, obstacles on the ground, condition and nature of terrain, innocent bystanders, potential combatants, suitable cover, avenues to advance, avenues to flank, avenues retreat, good guys arriving, more bad guys arriving... and the list goes on and on and on. This idea that I need to keep my eyes locked/trained on a threat is something every easily blown out of proportion. It sounds tactical and stuff but upon examination, the assertion is in need to further context. If a person wants to keep their eyes laser locked on a threat.. go ahead, but I wont

Common sense dictates that a person keep up what is going on with a presumed danger. It doesn't mean that you do not do anything else. If taking your eyes off of a threat for a brief instant means that you can perform a mag change in a more assured manner, that is simply good common sense. If pointing a weapon upwards is your method for performing a mag change, its certainly not a foreign concept and is considered by many to be efficient, safe and ergonomic. Whether or not your win or lose a gunfight is not likely to hinge upon where your muzzle is pointing during a reload.

That's why you have peripheral vision. It's pretty clear to me that he meant do not take your eyes off the guy in front of you who is trying to kill you so that you can visually walk your spare mag into your gun. Go ahead and do that if you want, but I'm not. And I have never heard of anyone legitimate instructing someone to. It doesn't have anything to do with "Tactical", which you already know, it is just your not that subtle way to insult people who don't agree with you. No one has time to think about tactical when you're trying to not die. You will have to rely on your training because thinking things out isn't gonna happen. If you can't load a magazine without looking at your gun then you're training wrong. Period.

That's why you have peripheral vision. It's pretty clear to me that he meant do not take your eyes off the guy in front of you who is trying to kill you so that you can visually walk your spare mag into your gun. Go ahead and do that if you want, but I'm not. And I have never heard of anyone legitimate instructing someone to. It doesn't have anything to do with "Tactical", which you already know, it is just your not that subtle way to insult people who don't agree with you. No one has time to think about tactical when you're trying to not die. You will have to rely on your training because thinking things out isn't gonna happen. If you can't load a magazine without looking at your gun then you're training wrong. Period.
☝️☝️☝️ Now this thread is going in the right direction. Even my old tired eyes still have very good peripheral vision so what you do is practice what works for you. I’m not saying it’s a bad idea to include other ideas in your training as that is how you improve to succeed but the end result is whether you survive or not is based on how you trained and your mindset. Never give up and fight the good fight.

Just curious - how is pointing a handgun straight up in the air during a mag exchange - ergonomic? Gravity dictates a mag will fall downward if your firearm is pointed and level with the threat. With your handgun pointed upward you will have to physically remove the magazine with your non-shooting hand. I strongly disagree with your training method. It only takes a nanosecond for a person to move while you look at your handgun during a reload. Is that how you conduct stove-pipe and double feed clearings as well? Weapon pointed upward?

Just curious - how is pointing a handgun straight up in the air during a mag exchange - ergonomic? Gravity dictates a mag will fall downward if your firearm is pointed and level with the threat. With your handgun pointed upward you will have to physically remove the magazine with your non-shooting hand. I strongly disagree with your training method. It only takes a nanosecond for a person to move while you look at your handgun during a reload. Is that how you conduct stove-pipe and double feed clearings as well? Weapon pointed upward?
And that’s the great thing about this forum we can all agree to disagree and disagree to agree. You made a lot of good points in your post and some I will work into my training regimen to see how they work, whether they work for me is nothing gained nothing lost.
Welcome to the forum from Kentucky.

Its just common sense really. Certain physical actions are simply more conducive when carried out in a particular manner. There are many things to consider when running a gun and many endeavors often boil down to what singular method fits most situations, most of the time. Pointing a weapon in the air during a mag change addresses a few things at once. As I said before it is considered by most to be ergonomically pleasing to the human form and unencumbering. It also addressing some safety/control concerns in the event that errors occur. As I have said many times, how and when you decide to change mags or what method you decide to use is probably not what victory is going to hinge upon. Could it? sure.. anything is possible. Is it probable or likely? .. (not in my book). Generally speaking, you simply need to avoid being bumbling or hampered by undue mystique.

Most people have no idea how often they will take their eyes off of a point of interest. You will do it a ton and not even realize it. Fretting over the brief instant which is commonly associated with a mag change is a misplaced concern in my estimation.

Should a person pay close attention to what an enemy combatant is doing? Sure. Does that mean that you must make every conceivable effort to keep your eyes locked on the person at all times. No, not in my opinion. I think a person should make every reasonable and practical effort but not every conceivable one. This is not a fringe or foreign concept

If a person wants to have a laser lock-hyper focus stare on their adversary(at all times).. fine, Im not tell you not to. Lets just not pretend that there are not plenty of good reasons to do it different.

This stuff aint rocket science, just pick a common sense method and make sure you are good at it. Its certainly not a bad idea to have a couple of others loading methods in your bag of tricks as well.

My intent is that my mag change be controlled, measured, affirmative and done right the first time. Yep.. I will point it upawardly-ish, draw it into my comfort/work space and briefly glance as I change the mag and sling shot it into battery.

Back