testtest

reloading questions/advice if you would please?

ok so 2 days ago i reloaded 100 rounds of 45 ACP, and all went well, with the mixed brass...S&B, Starline, WIN, Federal.

today i reloaded 200 more rounds.

all was going good, until i came across 3 S&B cases, that the primer only partially got punched out, maybe about 1/2 way and then of course, the shell plate would not rotate (Dillon 550c), as it was now jammed.

i was like WTF, all these other cases and now this.??

so you Dillon owners know, raise ram, unscrew locking allen screw, then unscrew the center larger allen screw, then remove plate.

now, i do have a Lee decapping die, and the original decapping pin broke, so i replaced it with a "Squirrel Daddy" much longer and much more heavy duty replacement.

as per directions, the decapping pin was adjusted to proper length (i think it was 3/16's?) i actually was able to use the former decapping pin as a gauge,

it was "strange" that i was going along and all was well, but 3 S&B cases, the primer cup would only come out about half way..??

so anyways, i readjusted the decapping pin to go "deeper", and all is well.

any of you Dillon guys, or other press guys, ever come across your decapper suddenly not punching out the primer when all others it worked fine?

To avoid issues with decappping on my 650, I decap and size all my brass on a single stage Rockchucker before dropping them in the vibrator for cleaning. It also helps to clean the primer pockets and I think my brass runs through the machine better by following this step. I fog them with a bit of case lube before dropping them into the case feeder.
I always keep a supply of replacement pins on hand as they will break now and again.

To avoid issues with decappping on my 650, I decap and size all my brass on a single stage Rockchucker before dropping them in the vibrator for cleaning. It also helps to clean the primer pockets and I think my brass runs through the machine better by following this step. I fog them with a bit of case lube before dropping them into the case feeder.
I always keep a supply of replacement pins on hand as they will break now and again.
yes, when i bought these replacements, i got like 3 of them for the price..they are harder than OEM.

i should point out too, that the "stuck primers" in those shell casings measured the proper 45 ACP height.

that was my first thought, maybe a 40 caliber case got in my sweepings, and i missed tossing it into my recycling pail.

i just thought it strange, all those reloads, and today, 3 primers that only came out half way, and i check the bottom of each case before i insert it into the press, just to make certain its not a SPP,,,,so i would have noticed if say, the primer was set deeper into the pocket.

and all 3 were S&B.......no other case did this

i seriously gave thought long ago on decapping in bulk, just never did, and i do have 2- single stage presses i can maybe set up for that.

I've had issues with 3 or 4 cases not completely decapping recently. In my case, I think it was the sealant around the primer that gave my press pause. The pin pushed up in the collet and I had to readjust. The seal around the primer was still intact and the primer had mushroomed out of the case but not enough to pop it out. Most came out normally, but these were stubborn from about 700 total I ran.

I've had issues with 3 or 4 cases not completely decapping recently. In my case, I think it was the sealant around the primer that gave my press pause. The pin pushed up in the collet and I had to readjust. The seal around the primer was still intact and the primer had mushroomed out of the case but not enough to pop it out. Most came out normally, but these were stubborn from about 700 total I ran.
that's how i should have described it..."mushroomed out"...

thing is, my decapper pin never moved up in that collet. i think my press just stopped when it could not go up any more.

at least now, i'll have a better idea as to why this happened.....the sealant around the primer.

Back