testtest

Remember Pearl Harbor

1638887647108.png

It depresses me how the Pearl Harbor event was (still is?) at least somewhat overcome by the post war attention given to nuclear weapons and ‘disarmament’ - of which there is only the example of Hiroshima & Nagasaki.
Maybe I’m just recalling the Cold War worries. But I don’t remember hearing much about Pearl prior to the 50th anniversary, after which I hear about it, briefly, every year.
Just seems I’ve always heard this n that about the bomb. And it’s aftermath.
Whole Pacific war in general is neglected history.

It depresses me how the Pearl Harbor event was (still is?) at least somewhat overcome by the post war attention given to nuclear weapons and ‘disarmament’ - of which there is only the example of Hiroshima & Nagasaki.
Maybe I’m just recalling the Cold War worries. But I don’t remember hearing much about Pearl prior to the 50th anniversary, after which I hear about it, briefly, every year.
Just seems I’ve always heard this n that about the bomb. And it’s aftermath.
Whole Pacific war in general is neglected history.
And that is the rub as it has been said by many, “if we fall to discuss our past we are destined to repeat it”
My father was in the navy on board the USS Iowa during the war and never talked about his time in battle
D208EA12-6196-439F-AFA3-74476660DAAB.jpeg

My grandfather was in the Pacific theater. Island hopping, Okinawa, Midway and others. Absolutely forbade me from joining the service. His statement, "I served enough for both of us, it's ok."
I think we don't hear much about it because Japan is now our little cousin, under the protection of the United states. An arrangement ratified in terms of surrender. People don't want to remember, they don't want to acknowledge that we could commit such atrocities towards one another. For whatever reason, there's no issues bashing Germany daily though. Gotta keep stoking that fire.

Back