testtest

Remember, when in the woods this time of year ...

terdog

Operator
We live just 2 hrs south of the Canadian border in Rathdrum Idaho. Its not exactly toasty this time of year. The temps are in the low 30's during the day.
The wife works at home, on the computer all day long and needs to get outside as much as possible. We like to take walks to blow off some steam and get the dogs out. For the record, my Airedale is better than her shiba. :giggle:.
We have a few critters that roam our neck of the woods... turkey, deer, moose, bear (black & grizz) & wolf.

So I put on my parka, get gloves and my dog and we head out. We were into our walk and heading into the woods.

All of a sudden, it occurs to me that my HELLCAT is in my holster BURIED by my parka and there would be hell to pay if I needed to draw it out quickly. In the holster under the parka was a bad place to be.

So. I pulled it and put it in my front cargo pocket and had my hand on it, ready.

So, just a word of caution to y'all.

Attachments

• MOOSE PICS 040 SMALL.jpg
    MOOSE PICS 040 SMALL.jpg
    840 KB · Views: 132
  • TURKEY & DEER SMALL.jpg
    TURKEY & DEER SMALL.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 128
  • TRAIL 111 033.jpg
    TRAIL 111 033.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 134
Yeah you really should switch your training routine this time of year if you live some place that actually has different seasons. Right now all my drills are done wearing winter gear.
I served in the Navy with a guy that was from upstate NY (near Niagra Falls). He said he recalled two seasons there. Winter, and the 4th of July, lol.

Don't forget to wear some blaze orange if hiking in the woods during hunting season. I even put a blaze orange collar on my dog this time of year when we go for a hike. I walk in a large park where hunting is not allowed, but I'm sure there is hunting on adjacent property, and we all know that poachers don't obey the rules.

My area is on the edge of the woods with a few homes around. While we walk, we are constantly making noise so as not to surprise anything. My dog wants to run around checking out every scent there is, so I'm constantly calling and whistling her back in before she gets out of sight.
While I do take gloves, I seldom use them as I prefer to keep my hands in my pockets and ready.
Occasionally I carry my BANSHEE 10mm AR pistol. Mostly just to add some weight and get a better workout.

Back