testtest

Remembering my Sister

N

nmedge

My sister died 4 months ago. I haven't spent much time thinking about it until today. All of a sudden it seems the grief has come knocking on my door. I never thought I would be the last one in the family to live but here i am. She was younger than me by a year. She had 3 great kids and 5 grandchildren. I know it is hard for them. My sister and i talked, at one point everyday as she was alone during the covid pandemic. We talked about growing up in Massachusetts and how she still lived there in the same town. I left for good in the 70's and travelled the world with the military. My wife and i finally settled in New Mexico. We have made a comfortable life for ourselves. My parents have passed away years ago and now her. Time does go by fast. Wish I had more time with all of them. It's funny how one minute you are in your teens and then in your 60's. I guess i'll see all of them again someday.

My sister died 4 months ago. I haven't spent much time thinking about it until today. All of a sudden it seems the grief has come knocking on my door. I never thought I would be the last one in the family to live but here i am. She was younger than me by a year. She had 3 great kids and 5 grandchildren. I know it is hard for them. My sister and i talked, at one point everyday as she was alone during the covid pandemic. We talked about growing up in Massachusetts and how she still lived there in the same town. I left for good in the 70's and travelled the world with the military. My wife and i finally settled in New Mexico. We have made a comfortable life for ourselves. My parents have passed away years ago and now her. Time does go by fast. Wish I had more time with all of them. It's funny how one minute you are in your teens and then in your 60's. I guess i'll see all of them again someday.
sorry about her passing, but yes, eventually, we all "go"

i too have lost dozens of family, friends, pets, co-workers (who were not necessarily friends, just co-workers)

i think we reach the pinnacle of our lives always wondering about everything just at our own pace, and realize, like you said, life passed us by.

there is no "time machine", God only knows if there was, we could all go back and make corrections to our wrongs, and take a different path, but then, would that path lead to better futures or worse things..??

best we live our lives each day, like.......it is our last day here

Our condolences for your loss. Grief can be sneaky, took me months when my dad died. It gets easier over time, you still miss then but you get used to missing them. I grabbed the phone just the other day to call and tell him something and he's been gone two years now.

I always thought mom and dad were nuts when they said how fast it all goes but they were right, and it just seems to go faster.

Sorry for your loss. Somerimes grief sneaks up on a person and bites unexpectedly. I dealt with other peoples' grief a lot and tried to hold my own losses at bay but I had to deal with those personal losses ultimately. I can relate to what you are saying about time. I entered the Air Force 54 years ago, had two great careers, and it seems the time has gone by in the blink of an eye. Thankful to have four great kids and a passel of grandkids. So, time to go buy another gun.

Last edited:
I always thought mom and dad were nuts when they said how fast it all goes but they were right, and it just seems to go faster.
on a "lighter note"

i once had a boss, that told me, his father said to him (he was from Sweden) , "the older you get, the faster time flies by"

i looked at him and said, "well Ed, time must be like a freaking tornado to you, huh"..???... :ROFLMAO:

i laughed, and he said, "you just wait, your time is coming"..

i am now past the age he was, when he said that to me......:unsure:

and i remember that day.......all too well....and yeah......time does fly by.....like a eaking tornado.....:eek:

My condolences sir

Remembering the dead is good as they're not lost forever! It's never fun nor never time as it happens. Sorry for your loss on this Earth. My brother (only brother) died 25 years ago in September (he was 15, I was 12) and I think about him and dream also almost daily. More so of him needing to be here to help deal with our pos sister and straighten her up! My portents did a terrible job, but he would be the only help I'd have.

Remembering the dead is good as they're not lost forever! It's never fun nor never time as it happens. Sorry for your loss on this Earth. My brother (only brother) died 25 years ago in September (he was 15, I was 12) and I think about him and dream also almost daily. More so of him needing to be here to help deal with our pos sister and straighten her up! My portents did a terrible job, but he would be the only help I'd have.
Funny you mention that. My only brother died on sep 18 2017. He was 2 years younger than me. I had a dream about him last night. I dream about him pretty often. Sometimes they make me wake up smiling and other times I wake up feeling like :poop:.

My condolences to you. I just lost my oldest sister last month. I will tell of something that happened to me back in the early 80's. My dad passed away and I thought I was over it. I married a lady 6 months later and all was well. Both of her parents were still alive . Then 3 years later we get the phone call that her dad had passed. So we go to the funeral home and as we are walking down to view her dad I was doing fine till I got to the point that I could see her dad in the coffin.

Only thing was , I wasn't seeing her dad , I saw my dad laying there. I about freaked out. I stopped and told her I had to get out of there. I went back outside to shake it off and I'll be honest it took some doing. I went back in to be with my wife and everything was as it should be. It really did startle me to be seeing my dad laying in that coffin . The mind can and does play tricks on us .

Guys, do you think that our loved ones who have passed visit us in dreams? Sometimes I'll have a dream about a relative that passed years ago that I hadn't thought about for some time that to me is like a visit. Seems strange.
I think that our brains amuse themselves while we sleep by taking information stored in our memories and creating stories to occupy itself. That's all dreams are.

Long ago I trained myself to remember my dreams. Pro tip, never do that. What is done cannot be undone and that is often not very nice.

Guys, do you think that our loved ones who have passed visit us in dreams? Sometimes I'll have a dream about a relative that passed years ago that I hadn't thought about for some time that to me is like a visit. Seems strange.
That's one of the big questions isn't it. I rather think they do or can, that there is something beyond which I think is comforting.

When my father was passing he looked off in the distance and smiled. You could see his eye follow something towards his bed in the living room. He then sat upright, first time in several days, put his hand out, shook someones hand and said "hi Don". Don was obvious, my best friend Don had passed away 4 years earlier and was like a son to dad for 50 years, a son in law for 10. We were the three amigos hunting for 50 years.

Had always heard that someone comes to help you cross over, now I am a believer. Dad lay back and passed about 10 minutes later. Weirdest thing was when my wife and sister were dressing dad for the funeral home they were behind me in the living room. I was talking to a nephew in the door way, my mother was in the kitchenahead of us. I heard my name called from behind me. Both my sister and wife said it was not them. I told my nephew guess I am going nuts I swear I heard my name. He said no, I heard it to. The voice was male and I just got the big feeling it was either dad saying bye or Don saying hi.

I am now a believer in something, beyond...

Back