testtest

Replacement handguard for Saint AR15?

JonJon

Operator
First off, pretend I am a dummy and know nothing about AR15s. that being out of the way...

So I have a Saint AR with the A2 front sight and the shortish Mlok handguard. Lets say I want to ditch the A2 and go with a longer handguard in the, say, 13.5" to 15" ballpark.

for the sake of discussion, lets just say this one:

Is that pretty much a bolt on? (for a gunsmith that is lol).

in general are most free floating handguards going to be bolt ons? In casual conversion a guy at the local gun store mentioned that I might have to change the gas block?? I am deffo hoping that he was wrong lol.

any ideas? thanks, JJ

Just curious why are you wanting to ditch the A2 sight/gas block? Are you gonna replace it with another sight? I would suggest this rail and keep the A2 sight/gas block https://centurionarms.com/c4-m-lok-rail-12in-carbine-fsp/

About installing the handguard, there is nothing to it. Depending on the manufacture depends on how they mount. I like Midwest Industries. You could do the handguard with a vise and a Bev Block and a barrel wrench. One thing to consider if you decide to go with a completely new rail is that you will need a new crush washer, a new lo-pro gas block and possibly a new gas tube. If you go with the one in the link I sent you won’t need any of that I just mentioned.

well in a sense id rather have a flip up sight which would be a back up because ill probably get a red dot
I kinda want something in the 13.5 to 15" range mainly for the aggressive looking vibe etc. I just like the way they look

So the gas block is attached or integral to the A2? (remember, im clueless)

---------

ok I checked a few vids. If I were to keep the A2 id need a "drop in" rail?

Last edited:
for future reference. a vid showing basically what would have to be done, as BangBang mentioned above. Gas block replaced etc.

this is free float rail going on a Del Ton with a2 sights etc

Last edited:
well in a sense id rather have a flip up sight which would be a back up because ill probably get a red dot
I kinda want something in the 13.5 to 15" range mainly for the aggressive looking vibe etc. I just like the way they look

So the gas block is attached or integral to the A2? (remember, im clueless)

---------

ok I checked a few vids. If I were to keep the A2 id need a "drop in" rail?

Yes that A2 sight is your gas block and will have to be replaced. Another thought, if your going with a red dot you can co-witness your red dot with your front sight, again just an option. Like I was saying if you swap out the handguard look for a low profile gas block a gas tube and a new crush washer. Here are a couple pictures of what it will look like with mentioned rail.
c3b6a335fdc95aa40983fdd9811c00fd.jpg

c2715d0077504b3e818052838ec62f89.jpg

for future reference. a vid showing basically what would have to be done, as BangBang mentioned above. Gas block replaced etc.

this is free float rail going on a Del Ton with a2 sights etc

It can be a pain in the butt to get that A2 sight off. One of mine was. You need some quality punches and a AR Armorers block. I also have a picture showing a red dot co-witnessing your front sight post. Here is a armorers block as well.
a6bbc3247d4dd77bbd4eec69c70fad54.png

5cefe5d6d0c8adc25b3b9762814e2ddc.jpg

Back