testtest

Retention.

Don't set yourself up for false hope that your going to be Bruce Lee when SHTF without training like Bruce Lee. Remember the criminal usually makes the first move and is looking for a target of opportunity. That opportunity is usually is you being smaller, unsuspecting, or overwhelmed by greater numbers. Thinking you will pull off some Matrix moves you planned in your head will only get you killed and most people gas out in a struggle within 30 seconds.
I was more thinking Jackie Chan 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think it's imperative to train weapon retention equally to draw and accuracy. So you carry concealed, most of us do. That means nothing in an altercation where your weapon can be exposed. And the other party feels you may use it so they go for your weapon. And or during your altercation you end up on the ground, your weapon happens to fall out of the holster. Weapon retention in my opinion is something I will always continue to practice to hopefully render the results of my survival in my favor.

^ This event was sobering in so many ways.

As many people own pistols, variations of experience in shooting them has a wide range. Many people talk about shooting at the range or with friends on private land. But, it is a silent subject "retention." How often do you train in retaining your firearm from an assailant trying to take it from you?
Excellent topic and does get the mental gears turning, Thanks.

Agree with this. I do practice push off motions and other drills with the off hand. I really focus on using the off hand for carrying all items but find I am succeeding only about 60% - 70% of the time. Halfway to the truck I notice the bags are in my strong hand and switch.

Practice to also -DROP- what is in your non-dominant hand.

:)

Look at those same CCTV/body-cam/surveillance videos - and even force-on-force training (of newer students) footage - and you'll see that unless the subject has been trained, they often do *NOT* drop the item in their support hand, even though doing so would have greatly aided their ability in the fight.

[ Side note - this is why you want to buy *good* flashlights for EDC, particularly if you actually train/practice. ;) ]

Obviously, for parents of small children, this may not be a viable tactic. 😅 :ROFLMAO:

I think it's imperative to train weapon retention equally to draw and accuracy. So you carry concealed, most of us do. That means nothing in an altercation where your weapon can be exposed. And the other party feels you may use it so they go for your weapon. And or during your altercation you end up on the ground, your weapon happens to fall out of the holster. Weapon retention in my opinion is something I will always continue to practice to hopefully render the results of my survival in my favor.
For backup bring hair spray and a lighter!

Back