testtest

Return of the Battle Rifle

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
The battle rifle is back. A new generation of Service rifle and Squad Automatic Weapon, with a common cartridge, select-fire and greater effective range, is coming with it.

Return of the Battle Rifle

1650563634888.png

According to most articles on the NGSW, it is going to be given to “front line” tier units. About 25% of the Army. 75% will still use the M4…. For now

Something to add to Talyn's informative thread:

The author in that article stated the M5 has a 16" barrel but it doesn't, it has a 13" barrel.

Also, she stated that..."In other words, we’re not talking about fighting insurgents and goat herders.". Well, one of the main reasons the US Army went to a higher performance cartridge was that the 5.56 was out-ranged in Afghanistan, and in some cases in Iraq.

It’s funny…Big Green has been dancing around this caliber for damn near a century, and yet always goes back to .30.

I wonder if it will truly “take”, or, if in a short while, the military will find “problems” with it.

It’s funny…Big Green has been dancing around this caliber for damn near a century, and yet always goes back to .30.

I wonder if it will truly “take”, or, if in a short while, the military will find “problems” with it.
The USA has been using the .30 cal for 130 yrs. in one way or another. It will still be around for awhile, (7.62x51) but is out-performed by the new 6.8x51.

If they can successfully convert the M240 to 6.8x51 then that will shorten that run, until the last 7.62 DMR rifles are retired/replaced.

Battle rifles were made to last, and the last American battle rifle was the M14.

AR type rifles are not made to last, but you can recycle them with your aluminum soda & beer cans

I never liked the 5.56 NATO when I was in. Thought it was too small
It was my understanding from reading many scholars of military doctrine, that the 5.56 and 9mm in US servce use came about for 1 reason:

Training

Larger calibers take on average longer to learn and train to fully utilize their potential.

Why not everyone is trained to be “spec ops” or tank crewman. Its about time and training.

It was my understanding from reading many scholars of military doctrine, that the 5.56 and 9mm in US servce use came about for 1 reason:

Training

Larger calibers take on average longer to learn and train to fully utilize their potential.

Why not everyone is trained to be “spec ops” or tank crewman. Its about time and training.
Not just that, necessarily, but weight and costs as well. Costs in fatigue due to weight, finances, rounds per kill were skyrocketing due to poor marksmanship skills in the civilian life.. a lot of reasons.

My understanding, in part, that the 9mm was adopted is because the 1911 was too large for women to shoot well with

Training

I still never liked it the 5.56

I apologize if this seems like a silly question, but I really am curious. Does the term "Battle Rifle" have a widely-accepted definition? The media keeps throwing out generic, and often meaningless, terms like "Weapons of War". Is a Battle Rifle a rifle that was officially adopted by a military force for use in combat, or does the term apply to any rifle that was designed for use in combat, regardless of actual military adoption? I did see that Wikipedia has an entry for Battle Rifles, but I take Wikipedia entries with a grain of salt until I verify them through other sources.

I apologize if this seems like a silly question, but I really am curious. Does the term "Battle Rifle" have a widely-accepted definition? The media keeps throwing out generic, and often meaningless, terms like "Weapons of War". Is a Battle Rifle a rifle that was officially adopted by a military force for use in combat, or does the term apply to any rifle that was designed for use in combat, regardless of actual military adoption? I did see that Wikipedia has an entry for Battle Rifles, but I take Wikipedia entries with a grain of salt until I verify them through other sources.
Since the M14 is America's last Battle Rifle, you look to the Battle rifles that preceded it...

the M1 Garand is a Battle Rifle.

Back