testtest

Review: DeSantis Cazzuto OWB Paddle Holster

I like owb holsters they are all I use, but have never warmed to paddke holsters. I have one for the Mak but it was never used.

I do like the holster size and shape however. Very reminiscent of the BladeTec classic I use sometimes. It's a great size for driving, sitting in a booth etc.

20210530_130407.jpg

I like owb holsters they are all I use, but have never warmed to paddke holsters. I have one for the Mak but it was never used.

I do like the holster size and shape however. Very reminiscent of the BladeTec classic I use sometimes. It's a great size for driving, sitting in a booth etc.

View attachment 36432
That DeSantis holster comes in both options paddle or belt slide, I’m with you though I generally prefer belt slide on OWB holsters unless I plan to use my car mount which needs a paddle type holster to fit in it.

Paddles are easy on - easy off and prefer them over a classic thru-the-belt mostly due to the always interfering and odd location of the 3 o’clock belt loop on my pants. I use a owb paddle as the preferred alternative to iwb or belt slide.
One thing about the previewed Cazzuto, there isn't any little hook(s) that prevents paddle from sliding up like on the Blackhawk CQC. It looks like theres two little ears on the Cazzuto to hold it in place, just wonder if that would meet sufficient retention security which is dependent on the wearer.
Looks tight to the body and slim opposed to my Blackhawk CQC that has about 1/2” from the belt and a Level 2 retention.

CD6F690D-2A79-4DD7-8F5D-228EBD17917C.jpeg

Paddles are easy on - easy off and prefer them over a classic thru-the-belt mostly due to the always interfering and odd location of the 3 o’clock belt loop on my pants. I use a owb paddle as the preferred alternative to iwb or belt slide.
One thing about the previewed Cazzuto, there isn't any little hook(s) that prevents paddle from sliding up like on the Blackhawk CQC. It looks like theres two little ears on the Cazzuto to hold it in place, just wonder if that would meet sufficient retention security which is dependent on the wearer.
Looks tight to the body and slim opposed to my Blackhawk CQC that has about 1/2” from the belt and a Level 2 retention.

View attachment 36439

I have a few of these, and always debating whether to put the paddle inside or outside the waistband. Outside was my original thought, but it kind of shows and rattles a bit. Inside the waistband makes it all tighter, but it's not comfortable! What's your take on it?

I have a few of these, and always debating whether to put the paddle inside or outside the waistband. Outside was my original thought, but it kind of shows and rattles a bit. Inside the waistband makes it all tighter, but it's not comfortable! What's your take on it?

By design, the paddle is to go inside the waistband. Those little ‘hooks’ grab nicely on the underside of the belt and secures the holster from either grabs, dislodging and of course to aid in drawing. Theres’s also hook on the paddle to catch on to the inside of the pants waist seam.
I’ve worn paddles exclusively all day without issue.
I know wearing the paddle on the outside will not doubt cause that sloppiness, belt width also is to be considered. My Blackhawk CQC in the photo was set at 2” and has four adjustable settings to accommodate down to 1” belts.
The Kydex is sturdy and I don’t get any flex, wobble or whatsoever carrying 40oz of XD45…with the appropriate belt, yes it doesn’t stick out a bit more, about 1/2” over a IWB Level 1.

By design, the paddle is to go inside the waistband. Those little ‘hooks’ grab nicely on the underside of the belt and secures the holster from either grabs, dislodging and of course to aid in drawing. Theres’s also hook on the paddle to catch on to the inside of the pants waist seam.
I’ve worn paddles exclusively all day without issue.
I know wearing the paddle on the outside will not doubt cause that sloppiness, belt width also is to be considered. My Blackhawk CQC in the photo was set at 2” and has four adjustable settings to accommodate down to 1” belts.
The Kydex is sturdy and I don’t get any flex, wobble or whatsoever carrying 40oz of XD45…with the appropriate belt, yes it doesn’t stick out a bit more, about 1/2” over a IWB Level 1.
Sorry I miscommunicated: I meant inside the pants. In other words, the paddle itself is inside the pants. I've always worn them the way you describe, but didn't necessarily like the feel (but then again, this was a ghetto brand, not a nice one like you have and not quite Kydex either) until I saw a user manual showing that the paddle can be or is to be tucked inside the pants. I felt like an idiot for not realizing that, but this was not quite the magical solution: while it took care of the wobbling, it was quite uncomfortable...

I guess I got lucky with Blackhawk, but I’ve used belt slider pancakes in leather with a thumb break, leather gets old and looses shape so I’m glad for the Kydex. High ride and no drop is my preference in any holster.

Back