testtest

Review: Rock Island 1911

I have a Baby Rock and I like it. Haven't had any problems with it. Need to get one in 40.

I'm fond of my Baby Rock as well. I don't own a traditional RIA 1911, but I have the XT22M in .22 Mag to go with the Baby Rock. I don't have any experience with their .45 acp 1911's, but their innovative 1911-inspired offerings in other calibers are a blast to take to the range.

I have three SA 1911's and I'm still impressed with my RIA 51632, especially for the price I got it for and its features that are basically found on higher end 1911's. It may not win any beauty contest but the park finish is deep, smooth & dark.

I’ll take a Springfield base model over a Rock Island all day including Sunday.

thats just me ...
When the Defenders were around $400, I'd agree with you...but when they’re north of $600, and the base RIA’s are still $389...if I just wanted a basic 1911, If be going with the RIA.

If I was looking at something I could customize up, however...then the Springfield would be the way to go.

I have 3 SA's, 3 Colt's, 2 Kimber's and one Ruger. I've read and heard good reviews of RIA 1911's and since they're pretty much at a lower price point, one of these days I intend to get one (or 2), in 9mm or 45.

When the Defenders were around $400, I'd agree with you...but when they’re north of $600, and the base RIA’s are still $389...if I just wanted a basic 1911, If be going with the RIA.

If I was looking at something I could customize up, however...then the Springfield would be the way to go.

I considered those factors also.

The RIA 51632 (9mm) model comes with a skeletonized trigger & hammer, upswept beavertail grip safety, checkered slide release, ambidextrous extended manual safety, adjustable trigger, flat and checkered mainspring housing, Novak-style sights, and a full-length guide rod.

All those checked off all the boxes on my list of custom features, and I paid $550 (with all shipping & FFL fee costs) which was $100 more than the base model I could get at a LGS.

Trigger pull is 5..75 lbs and crisp, and the thumb safety is crisp.

There's an equivalent .45 acp model, but wish RIA made an equivalent in .38 Super.

I have no knowledge of Rock Island Arms, so I lack basis for an opinion.

Truth transcends time: we get what we pay for with the caveat that higher price does not always translate to better quality. Some iterations of the 1911-A1 are many thousand of dollars more expensive than the Springfield Armory TRP. Based upon my TRP experience, I feel safe in writing that the thousands of dollars premiums for other brands' 1911-A1 iterations do not translate to superior quality. It's probably true that the TRP is superior to other brands' 1911-A1s costing more than twice the price of a TRP.

If a handgun's intent is to save its owner's life, he should consider buying the best quality he can afford.

I've owned a couple other American made brands of 1911-A1s. I never completely trusted either.

About five years ago, I bought a Springfield Armory Loaded Model. It's intended use was between trout bites, relatively inexpensive entertainment for my kids. It's value greatly exceeds the price I paid. I did get an excellent deal on it. That gun has been absolutely flawless. It's far more accurate than were my other 1911-A1 brands. I was and remain so darn impressed with my Loaded Model that I sold my other 1911-A1 brands and bought an EMP 3 9MM for concealed carry, a TRP .45 ACP for wilderness self-defense, and a Professional Model .45 Auto that I've yet to fire. I would be completely secure carrying my Loaded Model for wilderness survival. Due to harsh Rocky Mountain conditions, I wanted ArmoryKote that's standard on the TRP. Anyway, all of my 1911-A1s are Springfield Armory.

Competition is beneficial for consumers. However, options must be carefully assessed to determine whether they are authentically competition. Since I lack knowledge of Rock Island Arms, I cannot definitively write that RIA is a legitimate competitor of Springfield Armory. I will add that if RIA does not use forged slides and frames, I could safely conclude that it's not SA's competition.

I'll almost exclusively buy American products if I can.

Based upon my experience, it's always right and never wrong to go with Springfield Armory's line of 1911-A1s.

I considered those factors also.

The RIA 51632 (9mm) model comes with a skeletonized trigger & hammer, upswept beavertail grip safety, checkered slide release, ambidextrous extended manual safety, adjustable trigger, flat and checkered mainspring housing, Novak-style sights, and a full-length guide rod.

All those checked off all the boxes on my list of custom features, and I paid $550 (with all shipping & FFL fee costs) which was $100 more than the base model I could get at a LGS.

Trigger pull is 5..75 lbs and crisp, and the thumb safety is crisp.

There's an equivalent .45 acp model, but wish RIA made an equivalent in .38 Super.

Yep, that’s their next-step up model (or two steps up, if you got the one with VZ grips). I had one in .45 for quite some time that I shot the snot out of; only thing I did was replace the grips with Pachmayrs and the FLGR with a GI setup.Know the guy that has it, it’s still going strong.

I have no knowledge of Rock Island Arms, so I lack basis for an opinion.

Truth transcends time: we get what we pay for with the caveat that higher price does not always translate to better quality. Some iterations of the 1911-A1 are many thousand of dollars more expensive than the Springfield Armory TRP. Based upon my TRP experience, I feel safe in writing that the thousands of dollars premiums for other brands' 1911-A1 iterations do not translate to superior quality. It's probably true that the TRP is superior to other brands' 1911-A1s costing more than twice the price of a TRP.

If a handgun's intent is to save its owner's life, he should consider buying the best quality he can afford.

I've owned a couple other American made brands of 1911-A1s. I never completely trusted either.

About five years ago, I bought a Springfield Armory Loaded Model. It's intended use was between trout bites, relatively inexpensive entertainment for my kids. It's value greatly exceeds the price I paid. I did get an excellent deal on it. That gun has been absolutely flawless. It's far more accurate than were my other 1911-A1 brands. I was and remain so darn impressed with my Loaded Model that I sold my other 1911-A1 brands and bought an EMP 3 9MM for concealed carry, a TRP .45 ACP for wilderness self-defense, and a Professional Model .45 Auto that I've yet to fire. I would be completely secure carrying my Loaded Model for wilderness survival. Due to harsh Rocky Mountain conditions, I wanted ArmoryKote that's standard on the TRP. Anyway, all of my 1911-A1s are Springfield Armory.

Competition is beneficial for consumers. However, options must be carefully assessed to determine whether they are authentically competition. Since I lack knowledge of Rock Island Arms, I cannot definitively write that RIA is a legitimate competitor of Springfield Armory. I will add that if RIA does not use forged slides and frames, I could safely conclude that it's not SA's competition.

I'll almost exclusively buy American products if I can.

Based upon my experience, it's always right and never wrong to go with Springfield Armory's line of 1911-A1s.
Well, to be technical, Springfield’s 1911’s used to be made in Brazil, they are now made here but I can’t remember when they started to manufacture them here, been a few years I think.

Well, to be technical, Springfield’s 1911’s used to be made in Brazil, they are now made here but I can’t remember when they started to manufacture them here, been a few years I think.

My first SA 1911 is a Brazilian gun.

The Phillipines have been in love & making 1911's for a long time, so I think they have it figured out.

My 51632 is tighter than the two Colt Gold Cups I had in the 80's. I got rid of them & moved to SAs.

Now, for the price point the RIA 51632 & it's .45 equivalent is hard to beat.

Last edited:
Back