testtest

Review: Springfield Armory 1911 Mil-Spec .45

A few years ago SA made a 1911 model that was more "original mil-spec" than the current offering ans nearly duplicated the US Army WW2 configuration. So I agree that this current version is a more "modern-spec" base model.

The Turkish SDS brand has a model that is almost a duplicate of the WW2 configuration. Reviews have ben positive, and would be a more accurate for those looking for the WW2 "mil-spec" 1911.

It would be great if SA would reintroduce a "true" WW2 USGI "mil-spec" 1911 to compete with the SDS model, since they would sell every one they'd make to the WW2 enactor/retro crowd.

My .02

Last edited:
I posted a write up/review last year. Love my SA Mil Spec. Has been extremely dependable and used as a back up on hogs with Buffalo Bore +P.

here is a link to my former posts:

Was going to buy a 1911 this year, but with Ammogedon going on,I decided to buy another 9mm, as I've a good stash of it. I wanted to go with a 10mm, but there's nothing out there ammowise that isn't 3 to 4 times its usual cost.
I won't pay scalper prices.
I can understand your pain. I am an old guy living in a very dry climate so been buying ammo when reasonably priced and shooting it now. Not shooting as much however because it could be a few years before we have a businessman running the country instead of a politician.

Ok, since I bought my Ruger Carbine and was introduced to the Armory Life, I have now read four of your articles. Its like your in my head, thank you again. I have and carry my Springfield 1911, it reminds me very much of my Issued Military Police 1911, I had in the Army. (It was transferred with my unit to Germany from Vietnam. I was two when that happened). That gun pushed over a 1000 rounds through the five years I had it. it was a Springfield. I have had this one for 15 years and shoot it at least two to three times a year. In either one I have had no misfires, jams, or any malfunctions. Maybe luck of the Irish, or the draw. I await the next article, that apparently you know I want to read. I have learned so much since joining.

My father purchased a 1911 when I was young. I opened my hand up on the grip safety. It was loud and cycled violently: it made me want to tame it all the more. The action/recoil spring probably beyond its intended lifespan. The trigger was dry and gritty and it broke like two-by-four, I could barely drop the hammer. I had absolutely no idea how to detail strip so I dunked it in oil, it helped but now older and wiser I'm betting the sear was not properly heat treated and the springs were probably never adjusted at all. My favorite carry gun is my Springfield Loaded/Custom 1911A1. Has over 15k rounds and its perfect. Has a Action Job, Fusion bushing, Flat Recoil Spring and Rod, Magwell Arched MSH, Ed Brown FCG and Trigger, Checkered Front Strap, Ambi forged Safety, and Cerakote. Still has original sights: will replace sights with custom cut tritium soon: I like Novak. Had a few stoppages when it was factory new. none since: most reliable pistol I have by far.

I love my mil-spec .45 Only thing I changed on it was adding an ambi-safety because I am a lefty. USN vet.
Go Navy! I know many who prefer a milspec 1911A1. In my opinion the only issue with shooting one is lack of front strap checkering. I have XXL hands and the grip safety is fine, but I do like the larger beavertail a lot better.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled "Review: Springfield Armory 1911 Mil-Spec .45" and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/review-springfield-armory-1911-mil-spec-45/.

Ok you guys aren’t going to believe this maybe you know something I you guys know about it but anyway i bought my gun from gun.com I happen to looking at at gunbroker.com they had the exact same gun exact model matched all the way it list there a 1599.00 I paid 740 how can they do that they even put a rare gun sign on the ad unbelievable

Ok you guys aren’t going to believe this maybe you know something I you guys know about it but anyway i bought my gun from gun.com I happen to looking at at gunbroker.com they had the exact same gun exact model matched all the way it list there a 1599.00 I paid 740 how can they do that they even put a rare gun sign on the ad unbelievable
Supply and demand. I never overpay unless I run out of toilet paper.. You pay too much it opens a market for inflation in the gun world.

I have been curious about the SA Mil-Spec for awhile. I bought a base model Remington R1 a few years back when Remington was offering a $75 rebate (paid about $400 total). The R1 was Remington's G.I. version of the 1911, and has been a fine gun. I didn't get into Springfield until a few years later when I picked up a .45 acp XD Mod.2 Service model.

A Springfield 1911 is definitely on my bucket list. I'm drawn more to classic 1911's than heavily-customized versions, but I can't really justify purchasing a second base-model/mil-spec/G.I. 1911. I'd probably pick one up if I found a great deal. I'm kicking myself for passing on the Range Officer models before they were discontinued, and may go with one of the loaded models if the finances work out.

I have been curious about the SA Mil-Spec for awhile. I bought a base model Remington R1 a few years back when Remington was offering a $75 rebate (paid about $400 total). The R1 was Remington's G.I. version of the 1911, and has been a fine gun. I didn't get into Springfield until a few years later when I picked up a .45 acp XD Mod.2 Service model.

A Springfield 1911 is definitely on my bucket list. I'm drawn more to classic 1911's than heavily-customized versions, but I can't really justify purchasing a second base-model/mil-spec/G.I. 1911. I'd probably pick one up if I found a great deal. I'm kicking myself for passing on the Range Officer models before they were discontinued, and may go with one of the loaded models if the finances work out.
Honestly I would save up and buy a TRP. It's worth it. And it's not a usgi 1911.

Back