testtest

Review: XD-M Magwell Conversion Kits

I love having this option for my XD-M. However, if I did the magwell upgrade, would that mean that my current 19-round 9mm magazines will no longer fit?

I love having this option for my XD-M. However, if I did the magwell upgrade, would that mean that my current 19-round 9mm magazines will no longer fit?
I have since read that the standard XD-M 19-round 9mm magazine will NOT fit with the magwell. However, the 22-round 9mm magazines will fit the standard XD-M without the magwell installed.

Recently did this also and it’s great. Be nice if SA sold mag base plates now to upgrade the 19 round mags to work with this also. While we are at it also an RDP conversion kit for the hellcat for all us loyal early adopters.

Would like to do this with my Ronin EMP3.

However, I think I would be limited to the 10 round mag that goes with the EMP4, and even then, I’m not sure whether or not there would be some cycling issues with that longer mag in my gun.

Nonetheless, it would still be nice to have more magwell flaring to allow for faster mag changes.

My recent purchase of the XD-M Elite 3.8 10mm Compact was the first with a “flared” mag well installed, it was immediately removed, due to the nature of the shorter grip of the compact gun and my larger then average hands the flared mag well interfered with my grip on the gun as well as since I use the extended mags to ensure a more a positive grip it doesn’t work with the extended mags. Since I constantly train for defensive mag changes my muscle memory also ensures a smooth change without the need for a flared opening.
This post is not intended to discourage the addition of this kit supplied by SA and will say if I had purchased the 4.5inch full sized version of this Elite 10mm which I believe comes with the flared mag I would have kept it on.

I handled the XDM Elite in 45 ACP at The Nation’s Gun Show last weekend, and I’m glad I did. I considered buying one, but the flared magazine well was VERY uncomfortable in my medium-sized hands. The absence of any purchase for my pinky finger is something I can deal with in a subcompact pistol, but what really made the XDM uncomfortable in my hands was that my ring finger sat right on the lip of the flare. Try before you buy — I have seen other people complain about the same thing in various fora. This would not be an issue on a full-sized gun, but it made the compact Elite a non-starter for me, unless I can find one with a straight magazine well.

Back