testtest

Revolvers: Understanding Cylinder Gap — The Uses and Dangers

Many years ago my plain clothes agency issued a S&W Model 36, 3 inch heavy barrel revolver. It was a fine revolver and great to conceal, and surprisingly accurate. But they were not designed for the volume of fire we did with heavy .38 spl loads. I worked on protection details and we shot a lot for proficiency. We knew the revolvers were nearing end of service life when on the firing line and stuff was spraying you from the cylinder gap of the guy next to you. Those revolvers were replaced with chopped 1911's.

I trained a number of security officers in recent years who carried Model 64's. Having been taught a thumbs forward support hand grip with semi autos, the grip put your thumb right at the gap, so we had to modify grip habits to avoid it.

Good article on understanding the barrel/cylinder gap on revolvers, especially on the dangers of the gap

yeah, i am an avid viewer of "Hickok45", and a long time ago, he did a segment on the dangers of the revolver with the wrong hand grip.

always a great idea to repeat this information, for newbies and others who may be "absent minded"

(he has way too much fun..... :ROFLMAO: )

Thanks for the link, Anni. Great article for anybody new to shooting revolvers! I learned the lesson a long time ago shooting a rim fire revolver at night. Fire flew from both sides of the cylinder gap! Back then, because I didn’t know better, I shot with my off hand under the butt if the gun (the derided “tea cup hold”) because I didn’t know any better and taught myself to shoot. Despite my hold, I shot that .22 very accurately using that hold, which seemed natural at the time. That hold most likely saved me from learning the lesson of the cylinder gap the hard way!

1686863169449.gif

Back