testtest

RMA Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have contacted customer service based on my latest interaction with your representatives and service department. I might note this is one of many attempts I've made, with no response. How do I reach a person of the proper Authority at Springfield Armory. I sent my XDM 10 back to the factory following the request of your service representative. My original concern was a breach face erosion. The entire firearm was returned as I could not remove the slide. After a little more than three weeks the firearm was returned to me stating the armors opinion about the cause of the erosion and the suggestion that I change ammo. I contend that the erosion could be due to Metallurgy or heat treat, as I shoot the same ammo from two other 10 mm pistols with no signs of this problem. When I called to get a further explanation of this remedy, I was essentially disrespected and dismissed for questioning the solution as offered by your armorer. When I asked whether it was safe to shoot, this person chuckled and quite insultingly said , of course it is, we wouldn't have sent it back otherwise. You'll have to excuse me if I have doubts concerning this person's qualifications to assess safety of firearms. I'm not even sure I would have this person working the phones. He obviously did not consider my investment and my concerns over safety. In my opinion, the slide should have been replaced if only to circumvent any further issues and to Discount any possibility of a safety issue if the problem did turn out to be heat treat or metallurgy. I await your response.

Doesn't look safe to me. Springfield Armory has opted to accept all liability instead of replacing the slide. They deem it safe to shoot and has promised to supply me with a statement that says as much. Those slides must be really expensive for them to risk any liability should there be a Metallurgy or heat treat issue.

Attachments

• 0303221158c.jpg
    0303221158c.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 146
Doesn't look safe to me. Springfield Armory has opted to accept all liability instead of replacing the slide. They deem it safe to shoot and has promised to supply me with a statement that says as much. Those slides must be really expensive for them to risk any liability should there be a Metallurgy or heat treat issue.
What type of gun does this slide belong to?

Ok, got a question which I figured you tried already, are you sure it’s not primer blowby? Will it scrub off any, why I am asking is my S&W 610 gets similar markings when I use hot 10mm loads, mine will mostly scrub off, just curious here.
That was going to be my next question, looks like residue from shooting hot loads or “dirty” shooting ammunition, definitely hard to say from a picture.

I think there has been an agreement that it is gas cutting from primer leakage. My issue is that the possibility of improper heat treat or metallurgy makes this breach face less resistant. I have two other 10 mm firearms that I have used the same ammo with. Neither has shown this problem. I have a Glock 20 that is probably five years older then the xdm10mm and although it has a tiny amount of cutting there is nothing visible that concerns me like the Springfield Armory breach. In fact, when Glock examined the breach they declared it safe but offered me a new replacement for $100. Springfield Armory has not done anything except to insist it couldn't possibly be anything that is their responsibility.
Looks like something that can be cleaned off, not a defect, in my opinion. Which would explain Springfield's response.
You're obviously not looking hard enough. What looks like deep craters is in fact deep craters. That is not going to scrub off in 100 years. Could someone actually suggest that I didn't try to clean the breech face? LOL. Just for a point of reference I'm a retired mechanical engineer with 45 years experience in design and engineering and material specifications, and failure analysis.

I think there has been an agreement that it is gas cutting from primer leakage. My issue is that the possibility of improper heat treat or metallurgy makes this breach face less resistant. I have two other 10 mm firearms that I have used the same ammo with. Neither has shown this problem. I have a Glock 20 that is probably five years older then the xdm10mm and although it has a tiny amount of cutting there is nothing visible that concerns me like the Springfield Armory breach. In fact, when Glock examined the breach they declared it safe but offered me a new replacement for $100. Springfield Armory has not done anything except to insist it couldn't possibly be anything that is their responsibility.

You're obviously not looking hard enough. What looks like deep craters is in fact deep craters. That is not going to scrub off in 100 years. Could someone actually suggest that I didn't try to clean the breech face? LOL. Just for a point of reference I'm a retired mechanical engineer with 45 years experience in design and engineering and material specifications, and failure analysis.
Excuse me for asking…….you also had similar issue with a Glock…..so don’t you think if this an issue it’s self limiting like flame cutting on a revolvers top strap which quits after a time, more then likely it’s just cosmetic issue and not a heat treatment issue, I don’t know by looking at a pic, but if Springfield doesn’t seem concerned to much I don’t think I would be also, just my thoughts

Last edited:
Excuse me for asking…….
I wasn't trying to be rude. Someone suggested that that cutting would just rub off. My whole issue is not that I did not die there is gas jet cutting on the breech face. My issue is that the armor and customer service at Springfield Armory refused to entertain the possibility that it could be product-related as opposed to ammunition related. As I stated earlier I have two other 10 mm Pistols that I have shot the same ammo in with no signs of degradation. If someone could explain that to me I would be more than happy to listen.

Springfield Armory has inspected this firearm. They had it in their shop directly in their face. Once again I'm not denying there is gas jet cutting. I'm only questioning Springfield armories decision to accept liability for a firearm that could possibly go kaboom instead of offering to replace the damage slide. I have thousands of dollars in Springfield Armory firearms. I hope nothing goes wrong with anything else that I own. This is such BS. I doubt very much that the people I talked to could even describe the consequences of an improper heat treat or an improper alloy. For them to even dismiss the possibility is Ludacris. Even Boeing and Lockheed Martin make errors or bad parts get through. They are not so arrogant as to suggest or even consider that possibility.

Springfield Armory has inspected this firearm. They had it in their shop directly in their face. Once again I'm not denying there is gas jet cutting. I'm only questioning Springfield armories decision to accept liability for a firearm that could possibly go kaboom instead of offering to replace the damage slide. I have thousands of dollars in Springfield Armory firearms. I hope nothing goes wrong with anything else that I own. This is such BS. I doubt very much that the people I talked to could even describe the consequences of an improper heat treat or an improper alloy. For them to even dismiss the possibility is Ludacris. Even Boeing and Lockheed Martin make errors or bad parts get through. They are not so arrogant as to suggest or even consider that possibility.
I doubt anyone here is trying to sugar coat this and as mentioned it’s very hard to see in the picture provided as such I repeat, take it to a gunsmith.

I doubt anyone here is trying to sugar coat this and as mentioned it’s very hard to see in the picture provided as such I repeat, take it to a gunsmith.
What would you suspect that a gunsmith could tell me that Springfield armories own Armory personnel have already set. Springfield Armory is the only entity here that has any liability for a faulty product. I'm not sure I'm willing to test their competence at predicting failure, and a gunsmith is merely going to give me his opinion. He has no skin in the game like Springfield Armory does.

honestly guys, in the picture, to me, it does appear to look like "jagged edges" just outside the firing pin hole, in a circular pattern, and (to me) at any second, that area will simply fall back into the firing pin chamber area.
It is exactly as it appears. I don't have instruments small enough to measure the depth of those cuts but as an experienced engineer I would say .006-.010 deep

I had a Remington BDL in .222rem, my bolt face had similar markings on it, and my reloads were near or at max, but it seemed after a time the issue didn’t get any worse and kinda stopped, hopefully yours is going to be like this, self limiting.

What would you suspect that a gunsmith could tell me that Springfield armories own Armory personnel have already set. Springfield Armory is the only entity here that has any liability for a faulty product. I'm not sure I'm willing to test their competence at predicting failure, and a gunsmith is merely going to give me his opinion. He has no skin in the game like Springfield Armory does.
Well maybe he has the ability to do a hardness test on that particular part and then be an advocate for you, aside from that I sense your frustration just trying to offer options. Good luck.

It is exactly as it appears. I don't have instruments small enough to measure the depth of those cuts but as an experienced engineer I would say .006-.010 deep
I would suspect that getting the opinion(s) of a gunsmith or two might help your position. You can tell the CS gal you are a retired engineer all day long, but it isn't going to have the kind of sway a licensed gunsmith might have. At a minimum it could confirm or repute your suspicions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back