testtest

RMA Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would you suspect that a gunsmith could tell me that Springfield armories own Armory personnel have already set. Springfield Armory is the only entity here that has any liability for a faulty product. I'm not sure I'm willing to test their competence at predicting failure, and a gunsmith is merely going to give me his opinion. He has no skin in the game like Springfield Armory does.
On another note I spent 20 years in firearm manufacturing 5 of those as an engineering project manager for
O.F. Mossberg and wore many hats including manager of their quality control department which included doing hardness testing on small parts and sometimes there are issues, now honestly I can’t tell you what SA did or didn’t do except “according to you” that they didn’t give you the answer you wanted to hear. That being said your frustration and concern is felt and noted.

A question I've not seen answered but am curious about. You mentioned you had used the same ammo in other guns as well but with no negative impact on those guns. What is this particular ammo like? Is it reloads? If so, just how hot is it?

Now this doesn't make any difference at all in your argument, but I am curious. And even as SA has agreed to accept liability for the piece, do you still propose to continue using it?

"Inquiring minds" ........ and all that, you know!

A question I've not seen answered but am curious about. You mentioned you had used the same ammo in other guns as well but with no negative impact on those guns. What is this particular ammo like? Is it reloads? If so, just how hot is it?

Now this doesn't make any difference at all in your argument, but I am curious. And even as SA has agreed to accept liability for the piece, do you still propose to continue using it?

"Inquiring minds" ........ and all that, you know!
I have no loyalties to ammo. I essentially buy what's on sale. This was ammo purchased over two years ago. This is commercially available ammo. I don't want to start any crap with ammunition manufacturers so I have redacted their names.
I have a feeling that trying to seek relief through the ammunition manufacturer would be unproductive at best.
You've asked a fair question about using the firearm. I have as of yet to receive a document or statement that in their opinion this firearm is safe.

Last edited:
On another note I spent 20 years in firearm manufacturing 5 of those as an engineering project manager for
O.F. Mossberg and wore many hats including manager of their quality control department which included doing hardness testing on small parts and sometimes there are issues, now honestly I can’t tell you what SA did or didn’t do except “according to you” that they didn’t give you the answer you wanted to hear. That being said your frustration and concern is felt and noted.
It's got nothing to do with not "hearing the answer you wanted to hear." That's a weak defence of SA response. What I did expect to hear was a rational explanation as to why their experts deemed it safe to operate. It's easy to say it's good to go, but their FACE AND EYES aren't behind that thing when it goes off. It's also easy to be dismissive when it's not your problem. This is NOT sour grapes. It's about appropriate responses and actions.

i think about the only thing you can do is send it back, and inform them to really look into that "cavitation"(??) around the firing pin hole, and try to insert a needle point dental pick in there?

i'd be nearly willing to bet, they thought it was just carbon?

Thanks for weighing in. Their post inspection report clearly stated gas cutting and they suggested I change ammo. They didn't bother to address the safety of operation. I did call them about it and they rationalized that since it was returned to me that it must be safe.

You post a pic in horrendous resolution and expect people to see the same thing you do whilst having possession of it, then scream and rant about how you are an engineer and take defensive position when anyone suggests what it could be or their observation based on said low quality pic, and refute taking it to a gunsmith who could help to determine if it's safe to operate, because the SA gunsmith's opinion was wrong in your eyes. Not a great look my friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would make sure I got the letter from Springfield and then continue to shoot the gun. If and when it fails you can throw the letter back in their face and get your new upper. Until that gun fails, me thinks you are out of luck.

That's my plan. Unfortunate that it's working out this way.
this is a procedure that in the automotive trade, called "magnaflux". it is where a chemical is introduced into a metal and then seeps into cracks, cavities, etc.

i cannot fully recall exact details, and maybe a gunsmith has this capability, but most nearly any automotive machine shop should.

you would just has to fully dissemble the slide for it to be done.

this is a procedure that in the automotive trade, called "magnaflux". it is where a chemical is introduced into a metal and then seeps into cracks, cavities, etc.

i cannot fully recall exact details, and maybe a gunsmith has this capability, but most nearly any automotive machine shop should.

you would just has to fully dissemble the slide for it to be done.
So you think I should pay for non-destructive testing?

So you think I should pay for non-destructive testing?
if you pay a gunsmith for an examination, tests, or a machine shop for the test, either way, you're gonna be paying someone, for something.

you can always include that in a reimbursement request from S/A.

it can go a long way to prove what is wrong.

as a former auto mechanic in my earlier years for about 17 of those early years, and otherwise, as a newbie of only 2.3 years myself, in the sport of shooting, and what "gunsmithing" i have done myself, and soon to start reloading, i got nothing else

you really "do seem and sound" combative, and as a person over 70+ myself, i will not longer tolerate your attitude or BS, when ANYONE HERE is trying to be helpful towards you

you got some really good God damned people here, and all you can do is be combative.

good luck, i really do wish you all the best.

i am out.

I asked a fair question. How is that combative?
David if I may; please contact @Mike H. About your concern with the customer service Rep he may be able to help on that end and @xdman with your concerns about your gun.
My last suggestion and I offer this with all sincerity, please go back and read through your posts and honestly they come across as very “strong” when it comes to answering people who are here to help. The members on this forum are very intelligent knowledgeable people who genuinely just want to help.

A lot of communication is tonal inflection, facial expression, body posture, Etc. I am not a writer by vocation. I have spent the better part of my life in an all business environment and learning how to explain my thought process or defend a decision. Everything is questioned. If I have offended anyone it was unintentional.

A lot of communication is tonal inflection, facial expression, body posture, Etc. I am not a writer by vocation. I have spent the better part of my life in an all business environment and learning how to explain my thought process or defend a decision. Everything is questioned. If I have offended anyone it was unintentional.
Understand completely.

David if I may; please contact @Mike H. About your concern with the customer service Rep he may be able to help on that end and @xdman with your concerns about your gun.
My last suggestion and I offer this with all sincerity, please go back and read through your posts and honestly they come across as very “strong” when it comes to answering people who are here to help. The members on this forum are very intelligent knowledgeable people who genuinely just want to help.
Good suggestions and the most useful information I've seen posted so far.
Thank you.
Why is it that people with the least amount of experience (admittedly) feel obligated to weigh in. Most were searching for a solution that didn't have a problem. The purpose for posting was to draw attention to poor responses and ghosting strategy that I received about a product that may or may not be on the edge of failure. Of course admitting such a problem would also admit culpability. As for the strong language, I see there was no censorship of the sophomoric personal attacks I received because a few "contributors" who have possible reading comprehension issues , were butt hurt with my straightforward and candid answers. I imagine I'll get kicked off for these remarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back