testtest

Ruger sp 101

I think you heard wrong. The Security / Service, Speed Six can have a very nice trigger pull. Mine is very good and totally factory. I do think that as a whole the S&W has a better average action on them. I like the S&W action better than a Colt's (but that is me) The GP-100 and SP-101 I am not familiar with but in the Redhawk the mainspring does double duty as the hammer spring and the trigger return spring and can be problematical.
Trigger on my SP101 is fine. Of course T man's requirements for a trigger on a revolver are likely more evolved than mine.
I think the time period in which a Smith, Ruger and Colt were manufactured makes a big difference in trigger pull. Back in the 60s and 70s most parts were machined steel in the factory and most factories had gunsmiths who had been turning out revolvers for years. As the use of MIM parts increased this had an effect on the smoothness of triggers actions. Also the manufacturing process for MIM parts as a rule is jobbed out to companies that specialize in metal injection molding. The other thing that may not come to mind is the fact that company lawyers have become involved in the the manufacturing process in regards to the how many pounds of pressure on the trigger it takes to drop the hammer.

I think the time period in which a Smith, Ruger and Colt were manufactured makes a big difference in trigger pull. Back in the 60s and 70s most parts were machined steel in the factory and most factories had gunsmiths who had been turning out revolvers for years.
The other thing that may not come to mind is the fact that company lawyers have become involved in the the manufacturing process in regards to the how many pounds of pressure on the trigger it takes to drop the hammer.
it "might" be a possibility, that the lawyers went to the experts regarding trigger pull back in the cowboy days..

if it was found thru the experts and with the surviving guns being used and evaluated and tested, from the time period, that a 15 pound pull was "the normal", then that's what a revolver should have.

anything "less" is not acceptable, from the factory at least. what one does to his/her own personal gun is thier own business.

much like when people buy any sort of semi-automatic, handgun or rifle.

“Cowboy days”…*rolls eyes hard enough to shake Japan*

Those were single action triggers. Light. Very light. “Hair triggers” were often under 1# on SAA’s.

Heavier triggers in DA mode are all about reliability…the spring you pull back against needs proper force to drive the hammer forward hard enough to ignite a primer.

I’ve handled DA revolvers with 4-5# DA triggers; they are VERY picky when it comes to ammo/primers.

“Cowboy days”…*rolls eyes hard enough to shake Japan*

Those were single action triggers. Light. Very light. “Hair triggers” were often under 1# on SAA’s.

Heavier triggers in DA mode are all about reliability…the spring you pull back against needs proper force to drive the hammer forward hard enough to ignite a primer.

I’ve handled DA revolvers with 4-5# DA triggers; they are VERY picky when it comes to ammo/primers.

Definitely. But there's also a reasonable middle ground in my experience. Rimfires aside, I have never found much reason for DA triggers in excess of 12-13 lbs on a centerfire handgun. On the other hand, no one should be surprised if they are having reliability issues with a DA trigger that is 4-5 lbs. But I have often found that reducing a DA trigger to around 9-10 lbs is just fine, with no reliability issues at all, and a much more manageable DA trigger.

Of course, everyone needs to verify that for themselves, with their gun and with their preferred ammo.

Definitely. But there's also a reasonable middle ground in my experience. Rimfires aside, I have never found much reason for DA triggers in excess of 12-13 lbs on a centerfire handgun. On the other hand, no one should be surprised if they are having reliability issues with a DA trigger that is 4-5 lbs. But I have often found that reducing a DA trigger to around 9-10 lbs is just fine, with no reliability issues at all, and a much more manageable DA trigger.

Of course, everyone needs to verify that for themselves, with their gun and with their preferred ammo.
What I’ve found is that if a DA trigger is smooth—that is, constant press pressure from beginning to break, with no stacking or wall, the weight doesn’t matter nearly as much.

And I’ve never met a Ruger DA revolver that didn’t stack.

I started with a Dan Wesson in the late 70's which was very accurate but a heavy DA pull. Then traded that in + $$ and got a ss Python, and got totally spoiled when it comes to trigger pulls.

But, because of its collectors value I picked up a 686 for field use, and a 329PD for trips into the high country.

The only Rugers I have are SA models.

I've carried a 2.25" SP101 for years as my EDC. A month or so ago, I switched to a semi auto, but if I could find a 3" SP 101 (been looking for close to a year now) I wouldn't hesitate to switch back...one of my all-time favorites...accurate, built like a tank and it has always been the most reliable handgun I have...Can't beat the SP101 IMO....

I really like my SP101. On occasion I carry it in a Ritchie Leather ankle holster.

Buffalo Bore Heavy .38 Special +P Pistol and Handgun Ammo shoots more to point of aim in it.

20230505_165415 - Copy.jpg

Sp 101 3" barrel is one of my favorites that I rarely shoot anymore. Its a great firearm. I wanted one since it was introduced in 1989. Picked one up for the 1st time about 7 yrs ago. It was the gun purchase that got me back into shooting.

I found the Winchester 110gr .357 JHP are a sweet (.357) round to run thru it - at the range. As I don't carry it, I have not ran any strictly self defense ammo through it.

1700786790223.png

I'm a big fan of the older Ruger "Six" series DA revolvers and own three of them. Excellent guns.
But I never could warm up to the GP-100. It feels clunky in my hand. Its like trying to shoot a brick. :(
I have looked at and handled many SP-101s. I have considered buying one. I'm not sure what is is about them, but I always put it back down and pass. :rolleyes:

But these I love. 😁
i think i can "see" what you are saying about the GP-100 being "clunky", but it handles as smoothly (to me) 357 mags as well as any of my 6" revolvers.

and then too, like in the movies? should i run outta ammo?? and it's a "brick" as you say??

then when i throw it at someone, i'll here a loud thud, when it "brains them".

Back