testtest

Ruger takes on POF

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
in the small-frame AR-10-type category with the Ruger SFAR .308.

Ruger SFAR

16"
1662497310589.png

16" Spec Sheet

20"
1662497333359.png

20" Spec Sheet

Last edited:
The 20" would fit into my AOPs needs.

The only changes I would make would be to swap out the stock for an ASC-L, and the charging handle for a RAdian Raptor.

Don't know if the offside mag release is AR15 compatible since I prefer a Troy ambi release.

Wow ... how interesting. I have the Ruger AR556 and I love it, great shooting rifle. Hope this one is the same. I like the 452 trigger too.

Well at least I know what a small frame ar10/sr25/lar308 is. I used to think that the mag length was shorter. I wonder if the bcg is around the 13 - 16oz weight? If lighter from being shorter means having a heavier buffer and/or stronger buffer spring? Even with an AGB the (possibly) lighter bcg with certain ammo can have its issues on cycling. As finding out with the 6.5creed round a proper sized gas port is key! Aero Precision is the only barrel maker that uses standard rifle length gas system without the need for +2 or an AGB (standard buffer and spring weight also). I wonder if ruger is using the b5 with their shorter buffer? I'm with @Talyn on the 20" version!

I own the discontinued SR-762. It’s heavy, but an accurate shooter. This Ruger SFAR 16” looks to be similar to the Sig 716i in cost and the 716i has also been compared favorably to the POF by some reviewers. Good looking choices & good post @Talyn, it’s always nice to see new offerings come to market.

Well at least I know what a small frame ar10/sr25/lar308 is. I used to think that the mag length was shorter. I wonder if the bcg is around the 13 - 16oz weight? If lighter from being shorter means having a heavier buffer and/or stronger buffer spring? Even with an AGB the (possibly) lighter bcg with certain ammo can have its issues on cycling. As finding out with the 6.5creed round a proper sized gas port is key! Aero Precision is the only barrel maker that uses standard rifle length gas system without the need for +2 or an AGB (standard buffer and spring weight also). I wonder if ruger is using the b5 with their shorter buffer? I'm with @Talyn on the 20" version!
@TEXASforLIFE indicates, Ruger maybe controlling things through the gas system vs. a heavier buffer and/or stronger recoil spring like what POF did with the Revolution DI.

I'm sure when some legit deep-dive reviews come out we'll see how Ruger put their "short-frame" together.

I wish PA would allow autos for hunting.
No such restrictions in my state but growing up in PA with many deer seasons under my belt the "first day" sounded like a war going on with the non-semi-auto rifle shooters in the woods.

Once the sun came up and the deer started running & the shooting started, I always felt safer up in a tree stand vs. down on the ground.

My folks would retreat to the basement for a couple days.

I can just imagine how much more the "first day" in PA would sound if semi-autos were allowed.

Since their big move I have not been interested in Ruger anything. The last Ruger rifle I had was the MPR and it was junk. After 4 round trips to the mothership within 6 months I got rid of the problem and purchased another Saint rifle. I have never had a problem with Springfield AR's. In my opinion Ruger prices have gone up and quality has gone down. Hope they finally have a winner but I doubt it.

I’ll stick with my Saint Victor .308 thanks.
Same price point and super light weight(for a .308 AR)
Proven warhorse for me that has been flawless . Used almost weekly thru thick and thin. Lost count of hogs down with this beast.

Ruger can stick to their proven .22’s
581BD8B7-E005-47F7-B442-9C7EDBC530CB.jpeg

Back