testtest

Rumble in the Jungle: American Tanks in Vietnam

Served with the 3rd Squadron 5th Cavalry, 9th Infantry Division in Vietnam. I was there from February 1968 to February 1969. As soon as I arrived, about 5 February 1968, three Troops of the 3rd 5th Cav, Alpha, Bravo and Charlie Troops, were moved north, by way of Da Nang, to the area around Hue. Alpha Troop was attached to the Marines at Hue. I do not believe they ever entered the city. Bravo and Charlie Troops operated with the Marines in I Corp. As a member of Charlie Troop, most of my time was in the area around Quang Tri, Phu Bia, Cau Viet and Dong Ha. Each Troop was made up of 3 Platoons. Each Platoon consisted of 3 M48A3 tanks and 6 M113 ACAVs. This represented a substantial amount of fire power which could move quickly, on the roads or through the jungle, to respond to any need.
In the early to mid-70s as a cadet would meet 3/5 Cav troopers at Fort Lewis when they moved the 9th ID there. They were very professional and proud bunch IMO.

Good article about armor in Vietnam but Captain Dye forgot to mention the M42A1 dusters of 1st BN 44th ARTY were U.S. Army, not U.S. Marines. I was gunner on track #131 - 1st Platoon, C BTRY based out of Camp Carroll, Nov. 66 to Oct. 67. We were attached to 3rd Marines.

Good article about armor in Vietnam but Captain Dye forgot to mention the M42A1 dusters of 1st BN 44th ARTY were U.S. Army, not U.S. Marines. I was gunner on track #131 - 1st Platoon, C BTRY based out of Camp Carroll, Nov. 66 to Oct. 67. We were attached to 3rd Marines.
My memory isn't the best but weren't the dusters using 40mm Bofors guns. I think I remember seeing one at either Chu Chi or in the Ashau in 67-68.

I was with the 1st Infantry Division in 1970 when our AO was turned over to the ARVN. The division was returning to Fort Riley, KS, due to Nixon's Vietnamizaion program. Being a combat photographer, I was one of the last to leave. For my final assignment, I was assigned to go with an element of the 11th Armored Cavalry as they patrolled QL13, "Thunder Road," armed with "dusters." Those guys would light up a tree line with those 40mm guns if the suspected any VC shenanigans. I saw them fire at night and it was quite a show. On a motorcycle trip not too long ago, I was surprised to see one in State College, PA.
1712918884745.png

Brought back a few memories. Welcome home all you RVN vets.

Mike

Found this forum while looking for info on U.S.M.C Patton tanks in Vietnam for hist. novel I'm writing. If anyone saw a Patton stricken by an RPG anti-tank grenade. I'd like to know extent of damage. One of our dusters was turned to scrap iron by one but the Patton had much heavier armor.

Back