testtest

Rural and urban gun owners have different experiences, views on gun policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I be one of those who grew up in the country with guns. There has never been a time when there wasn't at least 1 handgun ( either revolver or pistol ) , 1 rifle ( even if it were just a .22 LR ) , and one shotgun. Most of the time there were more than just 1 .

I found it quite evident on the qualification range at basic training. Those of us from the sticks vs the city kids was quite interesting. Not even a fair contest. City guys had to get over the noise and kick first. Country boys were sending them
down range just fine. Second go around the instructors paired us up and every one passed by the time basic was over.

Great Guns ! Fond memories as a kid that city kids may never enjoy is tromping around the woods with a .410 or .22 and coming home when the dinner Gong got banged on
I know all about the city life from growing up in a real crappy one in Massachusetts so I'm raising my kids in a much better place its small town in NH where we can do a lot more outdoors legally without running afoul of the law.

Last edited:
I grew up in the city of STL and when I was a kid we moved to the suburbs. When I was 8 I got my first shotgun. A single shot, break open Savage 20 gauge. There were loaded guns at both ends of the house and I knew where they were and how to get to them if I needed them. Believe me when I tell you if I ever grabbed one when it wasn't an emergency my old man would have beat the living hell out of me. Quail hunting was like a religion to me. I killed my first deer at ten and my first turkey at 12. First handgun at 18, though I had unfettered access to them earlier.

My dad was raised strictly in the city, but he loved to hunt and fish and shoot. I had trigger discipline before I could do basic math and I have never once pointed a gun at or near anything I didn't want to kill.

Grew up on a farm; first thing I ever shot was a Stevens 15A single shot bolt .22...the kind you had to cock the striker before every shot...and if you cocked it and didn’t shoot, you had to pull the trigger while you slowly lowered it back down.

Not loaded with .22LR...loaded with Shorts. Earpro wasn’t a thing my dad would have thought of (and tbh, I didn’t, either, until I started shooting handguns years later), so...they were subsonic, and quiet. Target was a mashed hubcap from, iirc, an old Plymouth.

I was 5, maybe 6. Hunted with shorts until I bought my first rifle at 13...and I still have that Stevens.

Guns were tools, nothing more, nothing less. I was driving tractors as soon as I could control the pedals, and working around other farm equipment, live PTO’s, and 400 pound sows & boars, so...being around things that will hurt you or others if you aren’t paying attention just came second nature.

No handguns, no centerfire rifles...just a couple of .22’s and a 20ga shotgun.

I agree, there is a world of difference between rural and urban attitudes regarding firearms.

I grew up in the country on a working farm, there were hunting rifles and shot guns, one pistol kept in the barn. Grandpa and dad hunted, but about 100 miles north of the farm. The would hunt deer, in the early fall they would take time to hunt birds. My first gun was a Daisey pump action BB gun then a single shot bolt action 22lr, 20 gauges break action shot gun. So there were guns around and I owned guns as young a 7 years old, I was taught how to shot and how to be safe. The first animal I harvested was a 14 month old steer with a 32 cal. nameless pistol. that was the only thing that pistol was used for harvesting beef or hogs. I joined the Air Force and was used by the Drill Instructor to show the others what to do

I grew up in the country on a working farm, there were hunting rifles and shot guns, one pistol kept in the barn. Grandpa and dad hunted, but about 100 miles north of the farm. The would hunt deer, in the early fall they would take time to hunt birds. My first gun was a Daisey pump action BB gun then a single shot bolt action 22lr, 20 gauges break action shot gun. So there were guns around and I owned guns as young a 7 years old, I was taught how to shot and how to be safe. The first animal I harvested was a 14 month old steer with a 32 cal. nameless pistol. that was the only thing that pistol was used for harvesting beef or hogs. I joined the Air Force and was used by the Drill Instructor to show the others what to do
Awesome story thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing and serving in the Air Force.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back