testtest

Rusty Garrison, 6 day followup - rusting faster now!

fordag

Elite
I posted about my rusted Garrison, 6 days ago on Thursday, how great Springfield's response was, completely refinishing the gun for free.

I received it back on Thursday, Friday I took it to the range and put about 150 rounds of ball through it, then about 100 rnds of my carry ammo, Winchester White Box 230 gr JHPs. There were no function issues whatsoever and I shot one large ragged hole out to 12 yards, at 15 yards I had a few out of the main hole, but I was also getting tired by that time.

Satisfied with the reliability and accuracy of the pistol, I cleaned it which included a through wipe down with a Hoppes Silicone cloth, and slid it into my holster and began to carry it daily. I shot more rounds on Sunday again at the indoor range, cleaned and oiled it and went on with life. At night when it wasn't on my hip it was wrapped in a silicone cloth. On Sunday I noticed the top of the slide has a noticeable wear mark from the holster. You can see it in the first photo.
By this point I've carried the gun in a holster a total of two and a half days. Friday I did a dozen or so draws at the range, Saturday it was slid in the holster in the morning and drawn out at night, Sunday a few more draws. Holster wear in only two and a half days?!

Today, Wednesday, just six days after getting the refinished gun back, I wake up and head to the range to join my buddy for some shooting drills we do weekly. Shooting in the bright sunlight outside I see the rust along the back of the frame behind the grip and under the thumb safety. This has got to be a record. A regularly oiled gun (perhaps to the point of paranoia) rusting in 6 days.

I wear it in a kydex IWB holster in summer. Yes that portion of the frame rides against my side, but I have never had a gun do this! I've been wiping the gun down at least twice every day, once in the morning and once at night with a silicone cloth. I spend my days in an air conditioned environment or in my air conditioned car. Besides which today was the first really hot day since I got the gun back on Thursday and the only one I spent any time outdoors.

I'm extremely frustrated. No I have not contacted Springfield yet.

Attachments

• 20230906_221726copy - Copy.jpg
    20230906_221726copy - Copy.jpg
    555.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 20230906_221911copy - Copy.jpg
    20230906_221911copy - Copy.jpg
    790.8 KB · Views: 120
WOW!! Even after being refinished its still do that......something isn't right, it shouldn't be doing that period! Personally, if you don't want to worry about your warranty, I would go to a local smith and have them refinish it or cerakote it, I don't think I could deal with SA on it again myself, wonder if they actually did refinish it completely.

WOW!! Even after being refinished its still do that......something isn't right, it shouldn't be doing that period! Personally, if you don't want to worry about your warranty, I would go to a local smith and have them refinish it or cerakote it, I don't think I could deal with SA on it again myself, wonder if they actually did refinish it completely.
I am thinking cerakote is the best option now.

I may take it to a local gunsmith who has done work for me in the past. It's got a couple of other minor issues, the slide stop pushes out slightly (it's mostly distracting) between rounds and the trigger doesn't just have slack, it's more a full pair of slacks.

They're some folks who's body sweat chemistry just has a very negative effect for whatever reason. A good friend had a beautifully blued Colt 1911. He could keep it dripping with oil and you could see it practically rust before your eyes from his touch. You may be one of those.
Just a thought 🤔

I would at least call SA and tell them about it, and going by what they told me i would make a decision. They may tell you they won't fix it this time. if they will i would send it to get fixed free and then buy me another brand and unload that junk when it came back. or have it Cera coated and forget SA which may be the best way. if the slide catch is coming out on shots the detent ball is not strong enough or not much of a hole on the slide stop to keep the detent ball in tight. Me personally, i would unload it.

They're some folks who's body sweat chemistry just has a very negative effect for whatever reason. A good friend had a beautifully blued Colt 1911. He could keep it dripping with oil and you could see it practically rust before your eyes from his touch. You may be one of those.
Just a thought 🤔
This is true, i couldn't carry a blued gun. one reason i don't buy them anymore. i never could even wear a watch. it would be corroded up in no time.

I posted about my rusted Garrison, 6 days ago on Thursday, how great Springfield's response was, completely refinishing the gun for free.

I received it back on Thursday, Friday I took it to the range and put about 150 rounds of ball through it, then about 100 rnds of my carry ammo, Winchester White Box 230 gr JHPs. There were no function issues whatsoever and I shot one large ragged hole out to 12 yards, at 15 yards I had a few out of the main hole, but I was also getting tired by that time.

Satisfied with the reliability and accuracy of the pistol, I cleaned it which included a through wipe down with a Hoppes Silicone cloth, and slid it into my holster and began to carry it daily. I shot more rounds on Sunday again at the indoor range, cleaned and oiled it and went on with life. At night when it wasn't on my hip it was wrapped in a silicone cloth. On Sunday I noticed the top of the slide has a noticeable wear mark from the holster. You can see it in the first photo.
By this point I've carried the gun in a holster a total of two and a half days. Friday I did a dozen or so draws at the range, Saturday it was slid in the holster in the morning and drawn out at night, Sunday a few more draws. Holster wear in only two and a half days?!

Today, Wednesday, just six days after getting the refinished gun back, I wake up and head to the range to join my buddy for some shooting drills we do weekly. Shooting in the bright sunlight outside I see the rust along the back of the frame behind the grip and under the thumb safety. This has got to be a record. A regularly oiled gun (perhaps to the point of paranoia) rusting in 6 days.

I wear it in a kydex IWB holster in summer. Yes that portion of the frame rides against my side, but I have never had a gun do this! I've been wiping the gun down at least twice every day, once in the morning and once at night with a silicone cloth. I spend my days in an air conditioned environment or in my air conditioned car. Besides which today was the first really hot day since I got the gun back on Thursday and the only one I spent any time outdoors.

I'm extremely frustrated. No I have not contacted Springfield yet.
dump it.....you got a lemon.

the metal needs to be treated properly for any finish to adhere to.

they must have just buffed it, and spray painted it, with Walmart paint.

i'd spend no more time, nor money on that lemon.

then go out and get REAL BHP look alike, and that'll be a Girsan........

Fordag,
I am curious,
What kind of cleaner, and what kind of oil do you use?
What general area of the country are you in?
Have you been using the silicon cloth ever since you acquired the Garrison?

Mine is in stainless; never had any such problems. In fact yours is the first I think I’ve heard of.
Mine is mostly wiped dry after cleaning - then just lube on rails, end of barrel or inside the bushing, and a drop or two in the locking lugs spread around with a Q Tip…. I clean with Ballistol and it leaves the faintest sheen in other places.

Mine is in stainless; never had any such problems.
Umm hello apples to lemons comparison my friend.

I'm also interested to know which products he is using.

Let me mention one other thing. Some salts are very hard to remove, black powder stuff for example. You could use regular gun cleaner and oil the snot out of it, and it will still rust horribly. The first time I seen someone dump scalding hot water down their smoke pole I thought they were CRAZY, live and learn.

Just a thought 🤔
I can believe that about your friend. I've worn a high polish blued Colt in the same holster in the heat of a Florida summer when evertime you went outside you could be tracked by the drops of sweat you were leaving behind and the Colt didn't rust. So I suspect it's not that.

Fordag,
I am curious,
What kind of cleaner, and what kind of oil do you use?
What general area of the country are you in?
Have you been using the silicon cloth ever since you acquired the Garrison?

Mine is in stainless; never had any such problems. In fact yours is the first I think I’ve heard of.
Mine is mostly wiped dry after cleaning - then just lube on rails, end of barrel or inside the bushing, and a drop or two in the locking lugs spread around with a Q Tip…. I clean with Ballistol and it leaves the faintest sheen in other places.
I clean my guns with Hoppes No.9, I lubricate them with Mil-CommTW25B grease and Hoppes oil, and I wipe them down for storage with a Hoppes silicone cloth (I have several).
I've been using a couple silicone cloths that I've had and a new one since getting the Garrison. I've used all of those cloths on other guns with no issue, to include my S&W Model 36 from 1970.
I live in New England.

My blued guns, when I'm carrying them, get a wipe with the cloth generally once a day to remove fingerprints etc.

Back