testtest

S&W 617 6 / model 63

S

Simon

I'm thinking of buying one of these. Anyone have one or both that they can comment on good or bad.
I've never owned a Smith. Mostly Ruger. I've heard that Smith is not what it used to be.

I've had a S&W 617 (6 shots) (pre-lock) since the late 90's, and it's a very nice .22lr revolver. Right up there with a .22lr Colt Diamondback.

My recent S&W acquisitions are fine with no issues.

My .02

Last edited:
Not sure what my 617’s are, but they’re my go-to .22 revolvers.

The 63 is a J-frame; smaller, trigger isn’t quite as nice as the K-frame 617…but would still be a fun little piece.

S&W, in my experience (and as an owner of both brands) is a much higher quality revolver than Ruger, hands down.

Hans is correct. The Model 63 is smaller and was an udated verion of Smith's 22/32 kit gun in SS. The Model 317 is a featherweight constructed of aluminum. The Model 63 was a compromise between the heavier Model 617 and the Model 317. This one was produced in the late 70s, early 80s. It appealed to hikers and campers back in the day.

S & W Model 63.JPG

In 1955 the 22/32 kit gun, originally on the I-frame, became the model 34, in 1960 it switched to the J-Frame.
Since it was discontinued in 1991, a Model 17 or 617 will be more available. If buying used look for one with the Target trigger and Hammer (both are wider) unless you are considering it as a carry gun.

Not sure what my 617’s are, but they’re my go-to .22 revolvers.

The 63 is a J-frame; smaller, trigger isn’t quite as nice as the K-frame 617…but would still be a fun little piece.

S&W, in my experience (and as an owner of both brands) is a much higher quality revolver than Ruger, hands down.
I've read and watched many reviews on these and most of them are not favorable. Crooked barrels, cylinders not lining up etc..

I've read and watched many reviews on these and most of them are not favorable. Crooked barrels, cylinders not lining up etc..
Let me be blunt.

I put absolutely ZERO stock in “video reviews”. Most of the people making them are no talent hacks that are just looking for clicks to put money in their pocket…they are as truthful as a politician.

I’ll do a function test when I’m looking at it, check to see if there is drag, end shake, etc…and then make my decision to buy or not.

Then again, I’m from an era where I had to make my own decisions, not let some anonymous online schmuck with a go-pro make it for me…

I've had a S&W 617 (6 shots) (pre-lock) since the late 90's, and it's a very nice .22lr revolver. Right up there with a .22lr Colt Diamondback.

My recent S&W acquisitions are fine with no issues.

My .02

Let me be blunt.

I put absolutely ZERO stock in “video reviews”. Most of the people making them are no talent hacks that are just looking for clicks to put money in their pocket…they are as truthful as a politician.

I’ll do a function test when I’m looking at it, check to see if there is drag, end shake, etc…and then make my decision to buy or not.

Then again, I’m from an era where I had to make my own decisions, not let some anonymous online schmuck with a go-pro make it for me…
Thanks!

And...that came out a bit more bluntly than I meant: no offense was intended.

You just hit on a pet peeve of mine...I'm just one of those folks that likes to see for themselves over someone else's experience.

A good example would be when I recently got the Turkish M4 clone; if I believed the online mavens, I wouldn't have considered it...but it seems they can run pretty good, at least in my N of 1 experience...

Let me be blunt.

i will be using this if you don't mind, "anonymous online schmuck with a go-pro."

I don't own either so I can't comment on good or bad, but if you are if you are buying new check it over real good before taking delivery.
Smith&Wesson of late does not have a good QC record with scratches and tool marks and canted barrels getting by.

Back