testtest

S&W says ammo shortage to continue

I'm not sure that S&W is any more privy to information about ammo supplies and prices than any other dealer. Does S&W manufacture ammo ?

There can't be that big of shortage considering every type of ammo I can think of is available. It's just ridiculously priced. And that isn't because there is a shortage. It's because they know people will pay that much for it. And as long as they do, those prices are going to stay high.

Ammo's been getting more plentiful where I am. 308 is actually back to pre-covid prices locally (which was always on the high side). 5.56/223 is only like a 25% markup compared to pre covid. 9mm and 22lr still around double of pre covid prices.

CCI Blazer Brass started showing up in huge quantities, even in .45. I bought a few boxes and the dealer had 597 in stock, and they weren’t the only ones with CCI available inline. Need to check my local shop.

In my discussions with local LGS owners they say that "traditionally" there's a decline in ammo purchases in the summer, and that is occuring like past years regardless of the events of the last 1.5 yrs. This is resulting in more ammo coming in to them allowing them to build up stock on the shelves.

Since demand has declined prices to them & for some of the popular cartridges has declined a bit.

But those backorders that have been placed are still out there.

My .02

I am seeing more ammo on the shelves in some places but prices are still for the most part out of line. I did find a little 9mm and some 12 ga skeet loads for close to pre covid prices but it is a treasure hunt.

I am seeing more ammo on the shelves in some places but prices are still for the most part out of line. I did find a little 9mm and some 12 ga skeet loads for close to pre covid prices but it is a treasure hunt.
Around here, pre covid 12ga skeet loads? $8 -$12 per bx. Now, if can find? $25-$30 for same. Availability can still vary a lot place to place. 12 ga. was last to go around here ammo wise, but when it went, steel shot or not, it flew. Guess they all just skeeted away? :)

Around here, pre covid 12ga skeet loads? $8 -$12 per bx. Now, if can find? $25-$30 for same. Availability can still vary a lot place to place. 12 ga. was last to go around here ammo wise, but when it went, steel shot or not, it flew. Guess they all just skeeted away? :)
Academy here had Monarch 12 ga #8 1 1/8 for $69 a flat but they were gone pretty quick. It is still a treasure hunt. Academy I am told buys direct from the manufacturers so the middlemen are not gouging them. Fortunately I still have a barrel load of 28 ga that I loaded prior to the shortage but with shot at $50 a bag and more and primers through the roof, I wonder about the viability of reloading them when they run out. I am down to one or two rounds of skeet a week and it shows in my scores.

Academy here had Monarch 12 ga #8 1 1/8 for $69 a flat but they were gone pretty quick. It is still a treasure hunt. Academy I am told buys direct from the manufacturers so the middlemen are not gouging them. Fortunately I still have a barrel load of 28 ga that I loaded prior to the shortage but with shot at $50 a bag and more and primers through the roof, I wonder about the viability of reloading them when they run out. I am down to one or two rounds of skeet a week and it shows in my scores.
Gave up on reloading here. Lately, virtually no supplies found locally.

I picked up 2 boxes of Federal .45 FMJ 230gr today…. $65 a box, 100 rounds each.
LGS had no 9milli.

Still a good bit of scarcity around here, but the .80 to $1 per round craziness seems to be on a downward trend. A few months ago there was no hope of finding a 100 rd box of anything much. And mostly only off brands.

Back